ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > New Users Post Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Grab a beer, Iggy's here!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grab a beer, Iggy's here!
    Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:34pm
I just learned about this forum from a post over on KLOV, so I thought I'd join up.

Some of you may know me, but for those who don't, I am Iggy. I collect arcade games, Atari 2600/5200/7800 games, and an ever growing collection of empty beer cans.

I got my first two arcade games back in 1984 when the pool hall/arcade I practically lived at, burned down. Lunar Lander and Paddle Battle(a Pong clone).

I didn't get actively collecting until about 7 years ago, when I decided to repair Lunar Lander(the thruster mechanism had worn out). That is when I found KLOV, and started learning repair. I got LL working, and discovered that "regular people" actively bought and sold these beasts. I found a Super Pac-Man locally, and bought it at a very good price. It was fully working, and the sellers were kind enough to deliver it to my house.

I'd also bought a Poker machine from my father in law. In 2014, my grandmother(whom I lived with, and cared for, passed away. My wife and I moved into her house, which is much smaller than the house we had left.

In 2015, I found a Dig Dug cocktail for sale, non-working, and picked it up for a VERY good price. It required very little work to get it running again. In 2016, I ran into the people who had owned the pool hall/arcade that I used to spend all my free time at. They still had one machine left, and they wanted it gone. I struck up a deal to haul it away, along with two non-working Poker machines, as well as found a buyer for two juke boxes they wanted gotten rid of. The other games, sadly, had been destroyed years before. But, I got a Pole Position for free. I got it running great over the course of the summer, for about $50.

My wife is very supportive of me, and allowed my arcade game collection to take over the dining room. She is absolutely amazing, and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

This is me standing next to Lunar Lander, back in '84:

This is me, in my dining room, from late last year:

And pictures of Pole Position, the day I got it, and six months later:

Aside from these collections, I am also into gardening. Before my physical conditions got really bad, I had planted our front yard with plants we had brought from the other house. Knowing that my issues were going to only get worse, I did mostly perennial plants. This way, very little work needs to be done to maintain it.

I am a fan of Rugby, but don't have any specific team to root for(Rugby isn't very big here in the USA), and rarely can find games on our cable TV stations. I watch a lot of BBC-America shows, and am a fan of Gordon Ramsay's shows, in particular.

If there is anything you'd like to know, feel free to ask.
Author of "Random Thoughts from a Diseased Mind(Not for Dummies)"
Contributing author of "Evidence of Autumn" and "The Cabin".
Possessor of the ever rare Super-Power called "Common Sense".
tin View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:40pm
Welcome - love the then and now photo!
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:51pm
Welcome to UKVAC, and cheers!
funhouse View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:06am
Lunar Lander - the same one from 34 years ago - wow nice!

Your photos are great too - are those the same glasses you are wearing!?

Welcome to UKVAC!
nurtuo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 5:41am
Welcome to the UK.
Anyone with a working Pole Position is all good in my book.
Now if you can just pop over to Hagerstown coinop warehouse,
and find me one and a nice Sega Turbo.
Then just put them in a post box for me, I would be mighty grateful.

Good man, and welcome.
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:02am
Welcome aboard.
アンディック జ్ఞా
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:23am
Welcome to UKVAC, good to see you've signed up!

And some nice cabs you have there.

karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:48am
Great lineup. Is that the same Lunar lander after all those years? That's pretty impressive if so.
Iggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by funhouse funhouse wrote:

Lunar Lander - the same one from 34 years ago - wow nice!

Your photos are great too - are those the same glasses you are wearing!?

Welcome to UKVAC!

No, but I've always favored large lenses, as I have an extremely large field of view. They are actually getting hard to come by these days, as most younger people prefer smaller lenses. I guess it's to make their face look bigger?

(Yes, there are some American things I don't "get", despite being born here, and living here 51 years.)

While I am physically disabled(I have serious spine issues) and am in constant pain, I still like to keep my mood positive and fun loving. Back during New Years Eve, one of my oldest friends brought his family over, and we were having a blast "drinking and driving" on Pole Position. After we'd had 4 beers, I had the brilliant idea to record our games. It was even funnier because it was my 4th beer that I set a new high score on the game.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/ptLhsg-Xre4

(Fair warning: There is NSFW language, as I have a potty mouth. )
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 5:27pm
Welcome to the forum!

Lunar Lander is a favourite of mine and those pics are great. Definitely a grail cab for me. Still looking for one in the UK i can get some time on to see how different it is to mame. You must be a 'dab-hand' at it now having had it so long.
Body pop View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
Welcome mate and great first post ,keep them coming !
Your cabs are looking cool !
Think I’m finished buying cabs now
Maybe trades
Iggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by JonTron JonTron wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Lunar Lander is a favourite of mine and those pics are great. Definitely a grail cab for me. Still looking for one in the UK i can get some time on to see how different it is to mame. You must be a 'dab-hand' at it now having had it so long.

A bit, yeah...

I also got real good at landing sideways. Literally on a vertical part of the cliff. As long as your speeds are low enough(tricky to do), and both pads touch at the same time, you land safely.

Shame it doesn't give you lots of points for that.
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:39pm
Welcome to the forum and nice cab selection
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:49pm
Such a fun game once you get the hang of it. Still waiting for my mame record to be accepted.
That explains why i had a good landing at an angle before then. Didnt know about the leg thing.
digweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
Wow what a cool story, you're like a bit of an inspiration. Made me feel warm reading your post Hug. Love your cabs and those before and after pics! 

Welcome to the forum! Beer
Wanted: Naomi spares, everything considered :)
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:17pm
Welcome! Cool
Nice to see your other half is willing to forgo food for beer and coin-op machines! Clap

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic