ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > New Users Post Here
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greetings from an Ohio based Naomi Upright chaser
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Greetings from an Ohio based Naomi Upright chaser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from an Ohio based Naomi Upright chaser
    Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 2:15am
I am just starting my arcade journey, and I have found that I have a penchant for Naomi Upright cabinets. I am basically trying to find Naomi Universal / Net City Upright Driving Cabinets. I know that several were sold into the markets serviced by the bulk of the user base here. Crazi Taxi, OutRun2, Club Kart Prize, Jambo Safari, GTI Club 2, Confidential Mission, Ghost Squad Evo, Clay Shooting, Lupin the Shooting, House of Dead, Maze of Kings, Virtua Cop are all on my list! If you feel like coming off one, hit me up! 

I've already got an 18 Wheeler cab, and a sit-down Naomi Upright, I'm seeking to add more to my collection!. Right now my holy grail would be a Ghost Squad, Virtua Cop, or House of dead cab. The issue is finding a reasonably priced cab that I can ship overseas! First world problems Cry

This is a picture of my current baby. 

digweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 6:41am
Hello there, I'm a Naomi fan as well and have two in my lounge and another to be built when I can find space lol. Big cabs but easy to break down and fit in the house. 

welcome to the forum Approve
Wanted: Naomi Naomi Naomi spares, everything considered :)
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:24am
Welcome aboard.
UKVaO #1
Finisterre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 2:57pm
My 18 wheeler is now stuck in the garage and I am debating if I want to pay a mover, or tear it down just for the experience. 

jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 3:44pm
It's so easy to strip and transport!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 4:58pm
Ohio, snow shovels, arcades. Nice Wink

WTD: OutrunDLX, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy pcb
Parts WTD: Naomi wheels, Dino King Door metal clip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:05pm
Have any notes or tips on hand? I feel like there were a few "how-to" posts floating around that I seem to have misplaced. 
jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Well - start from the top, you'll need a 10mm spanner and an *ahem* sized security bit.

Topper off, front off, rear off, then monitor out, remembering to disconnect all the cables.

You'll then want to disconnect everything, remove the light unit, take off the CP, and then take off the top and bottom rails for the monitor.

Then legs off, then you're good to go. Somewhere along the line you'll need to take off the leg covers too, and you need a smaller security bit for that.

If I've forgotten anything, my apols, this is from memory. PM me if you have more questions, or post them here and then everyone can see, like - and it'll be a useful aide memoire I'm sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 9:53pm
Thanks for the added inspiration. I think I'll start poking at this tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 5:38am
Originally posted by jinq-sea jinq-sea wrote:

Well - start from the top, you'll need a 10mm spanner and an *ahem* sized security bit.

Topper off, front off, rear off, then monitor out, remembering to disconnect all the cables.

You'll then want to disconnect everything, remove the light unit, take off the CP, and then take off the top and bottom rails for the monitor.

Then legs off, then you're good to go. Somewhere along the line you'll need to take off the leg covers too, and you need a smaller security bit for that.

If I've forgotten anything, my apols, this is from memory. PM me if you have more questions, or post them here and then everyone can see, like - and it'll be a useful aide memoire I'm sure.

So far so good... do I need to take care with this Monitor in any way? Are there any "do not touch or you die" spots? I read about discharging them and it wasn't clear if I should do that before the move attempt? https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_discharge_a_monitor

"That would definitely be recommended. You really don't want to be zapped by a CRT."
https://sega-naomi.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=932&sid=2cff7232c0507463b2eeaa11d88300b5&start=10

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:54am
I've only ever adjusted / TATE'd these without a discharge.

You can hold those rectangular holes and use them as handles, but they are really bloody heavy and the metal will take the skin off your fingers.
Don't lick the bit on the rear with the rubber cap.

Seriously, discharge it.

WTD: OutrunDLX, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy pcb
Parts WTD: Naomi wheels, Dino King Door metal clip
jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:17am
Well - I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and disagree! For starters, the 29e31s doesn't need discharging, as long as it's been switched off a short while. Also, Given that you're only going to be lifting it by the frame, you'll be fine. Wear gloves though, 'cos the metil is really going to hurt your fingers otherwise.

In an abundance of caution you can discharge, but you'll most likely find that there's nowt in it anyway. It's not like you are taking the chassis off the tube, right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
"It's not like you are taking the chassis off the tube, right?"
Correct... and most of what I had read was implying that this only needed to be done for *internal* repairs, as opposed to for a simple rotation as an example. 

It wasn't clear if the "rails" on the back side were safe to help with maneuvering? The lip seems to be the obvious hold spot, just looking for safe brace points to recommend to my friend that winds up helping me.  Are these places highlighted with arrows OK to handle gently? 

Edited by Finisterre - 26 Jul 2018 at 2:16pm
jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:30pm
Yep - the frame is totally safe. Hell, it's connected to the ground of the cabinet! When you pull it out forward, you'll need to lift the frame around the face of the tube, and then as it comes forward, you can just grab the top rails which go over and round the back. Do check that the bolts on the frame are tight though before you move it...

You can take the screen out solo, but I'd not recommend it unless you have to!

Also, I forgot to mention disconnecting the speaker cables once you've taken the front off - apols.

Edited by jinq-sea - 26 Jul 2018 at 2:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:43pm
So far so good! I got my neighbor to help me out. Told him to bring a pair of gloves and stop on over. The monitor was indeed heavy! no way I could do that with my weak arms! lol. 

This is the photo after the bezel was removed, shortly before go time (the monitor nuts removed too)

We got her out just fine! 

Schlepping some of the pieces down the stairs is much easier on my own now! 

Baby steps! None the less 1/3rd(?) of it is in the basement now! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 4:31am
This felt daunting at first... it wasn't too bad. 12 stairs and a Nanao MS-2934 ultimately didn't kill me! (I did NOT discharge the monitor btw, for anyone that wanted to know). Gloves made a lot of sense after talking it over with others. One friend reminded me to google "Ring Degloving" injuries... and that both made me take off my wedding ring, AND wear gloves. 

Safe and sound down stairs! 

Now to get to the rest of the cab...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 9:59pm
Well... I called the biggest dude I knew to help me finish it off. He brought his dolly and a tie strap, I took the bottom side, and we just slow walked it down the stairs. Once we got down I slide the dolly out from beneath, and we set it flat. She rolled just fine on the casters from there! Time to put her back together. 

Time to put it back together now! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finisterre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 5:46am
Everything went well! Thanks for the help everyone. 

Simply taking the same steps in reverse always works. =] No extra screws this time! lol 

Everything fired up well ! Looks like I'm in the clear now. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic