ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Gunsmoke Space-Sequel??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huxleypig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunsmoke Space-Sequel??
    Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:06am
So I love Gunsmoke, think it is a brilliant shoot-em-up, especially its tri-button shooting configuration, very nice. I have played it many, many time down the years and it has been responsible for a LOT of 10p's and 25 Peseta coins!

But I have a question and I'm not sure if I am going mad here or not; I swear to God I remember walking around Alton Towers one day and in one of the arcades there I saw what looked like a sequel to Gunsmoke. I do not remember its name but it was like Gunsmoke but in the future. The line up at the beginning of the game when you see all of the baddies - each one was the same but a future version. So Master Winchester had a big-ass laser gun and the guy with the cigar - well his face was detached from his head to reveal circuitry, like a cyborg.

I can't find any mention of this thing existing anywhere now? Maybe it was a Neo-Geo thing? Did I dream this? I swear it is a real memory.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:27am
If they didnt. Someone needs too....
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:49pm
there was a german version of commando with robots instead of soldiers so the germans didn't get upset,so who knows,perhaps it was an altered version to not offend cowboysLOL
====WANTED====
LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S BALLY PINBALL PROJECT
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:29pm
We are easily offended, so it's possible
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
kingtreelo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingtreelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:55pm
I want to play this game now....

Used to love Gunsmoke back in the day, but having a quick search around reveals you may have dreampt this, which is a shame
favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:51pm
You didn't dream it, there is a version of Gun.Smoke with the altered bosses.
The PCB I had years ago had the ROMset in question and it was an original Capcom boardset with original ROM labels etc.
I'm fairly sure it is included in MAME nowadays.
Garry
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:05pm
Wow that's pretty interesting.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:21am
OT but Gunsmoke... damn, damn  hard. But I like capcom games where the fire buttons change direction so it has it's moments, just not as many as the beast that is side arms.
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:45am
Originally posted by favouredson favouredson wrote:

You didn't dream it, there is a version of Gun.Smoke with the altered bosses.
The PCB I had years ago had the ROMset in question and it was an original Capcom boardset with original ROM labels etc.
I'm fairly sure it is included in MAME nowadays.

Very cool. Love to play it
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by karlcdoe karlcdoe wrote:

OT but Gunsmoke... damn, damn  hard. But I like capcom games where the fire buttons change direction so it has it's moments, just not as many as the beast that is side arms.

Yeah I love GunSmoke but you're right, it's bloody difficult. I know most old arcade games are hard but Capcom used insane difficulty levels.
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:26am
So what's this alternate version of Gun.smoke called?

Great game, I used to play this alot BITD.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
kingtreelo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingtreelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm
As other have commented, i used to be decent at GunSmoke back in the day, got it on the Capcom compilation for the Saturn a few months ago and failed miserably.

Really hard game
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:54pm
Has anyone identifies the space version yet?
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:01pm
I'm interested in seeeing this version too!
Insert Coin[s]
thermal_treasure View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermal_treasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:01am
Awesome game. I've been playing the FPGA core lately and it is bloody hard. Not as obscene as Commando, but still tough 
smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by huxleypig huxleypig wrote:

But I have a question and I'm not sure if I am going mad here or not; I swear to God I remember walking around Alton Towers one day and in one of the arcades there I saw what looked like a sequel to Gunsmoke. I do not remember its name but it was like Gunsmoke but in the future.

I have a similar experience with a c64 budget game that used ripped sprites from commando and was set in space (I don't believe it was the german version of commando). I also don't remember the name of the game.

Edited by smf - 10 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
ChrisBinary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisBinary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by smf smf wrote:

Originally posted by huxleypig huxleypig wrote:

But I have a question and I'm not sure if I am going mad here or not; I swear to God I remember walking around Alton Towers one day and in one of the arcades there I saw what looked like a sequel to Gunsmoke. I do not remember its name but it was like Gunsmoke but in the future.

I have a similar experience with a c64 budget game that used ripped sprites from commando and was set in space (I don't believe it was the german version of commando). I also don't remember the name of the game.

Space Invasion? That's the name of the German version of Commando and I believe it was released in that style for C64 in Germany.

Edited by ChrisBinary - 11 Dec 2019 at 6:05pm
favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

So what's this alternate version of Gun.smoke called?

Great game, I used to play this alot BITD.

Sorry to disappoint you but...
It's called Gun.Smoke.
It is not a different version of the game or a sequel it is just a revision of the ROMs with futuristic wanted posters.

The gameplay is the same, the levels are the same and the in-game bosses are the same. I only remember the wanted posters being different.
Garry
joe34 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by smf smf wrote:

SmoMo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

there was a german version of commando with robots instead of soldiers so the germans didn't get upset,so who knows,perhaps it was an altered version to not offend cowboysLOL

Something similar to this happened to me, many years ago now, I was pitching a video game I had developed at a computer show in London, I managed to get a meeting with two producers from UbiSoft, one of whom was German.

I had a briefcase with me with the game design document inside, and I'd borrowed the briefcase from my mother because I didn't have one myself.

Anyway, I'm telling them about the game and I say its a bit like Wolfenstein, "Y'know, the game where you have to kill Germans"

And I just hear "Hmmmmm"

I suddenly realise my mistake, "..oh Nazis, I mean you have to kill Nazis"

"Hmmmm" again

Anyway, you'd think that was bad enough for the start of a meeting, turns out I then forget the combination for the briefcase, but I know it is my mother's birthdate.

And I can't remember when her damn birthday is, I'm just so stressed out already.

I considered whether or not to just run away, but I realised there was only one way forward, and that's because by my mother shares her birthday with a rather famous individual.

"Do you happen to know when Adolf Hitler's birthday is?"

The non German guy speaks up immediately "Yeh, 20th of April"

job done. Case opened. Never have to talk about Nazis again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic