ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > New Users Post Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Hello from the Isle of Man

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from the Isle of Man
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:58pm
Hi everyone,

So yes, I spent my youth living next to a decent size arcade with all the classics. Never spotted the bootlegs they ran had until many years after, like Donkey Kong running on Galaxian hardware, 'Bobble Bobble' etc.

I'd be happy running a generic cabinet or two with Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy In Monster Land, or the like. Quite fancy the idea of nursing ailing boards back to life too.

cheers,
Chris
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:47pm
Welcome aboard.
Flinnster View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 12:33am
Welcome! Finally someone on IoM to buy the machines that keep appearing there! Big smile

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:37am
Welcome. I spent almost a year there, working on the new hospital in 2000. Still remember the newspaper headline, " It has rained on the Island EVERY day for the last 3 months!". What a sh*tty winter. Stuck around till June, the summer more than made up for it.

By then there were just a few sad Jamma cabs in the arcade in the town centre. Spent a lot of time in Quids Inn, Jaks, plus the obligatory weekends in the various nightclubs. I left the place a borderline alcoholic!

gloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:17pm
(Excuse the lateness of reply - forgot to click 'notify')

I think the last remaining arcade in town became a JD Sports a while back. Used to be a great arcade back in the day, but then they all were! If you're only a borderline alcoholic you've done pretty well. LOL
gloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:19pm
I know there's a chap selling a Rolling Thunder and a Puckman/Pacman clone over here, neither of which I fancy to be honest. If there are any others let me know!
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:28pm
Your first cab needs to be Manx TT!
gloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:52pm
I guess it's pretty routine to have Street View-style mapping in games now but when Manx TT first came out, my brother owned a house on the TT course. In the game, he slowed his bike down in front of his house and was amazed to see the missing gatepost slat and his hifi speaker visible through the house window!
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:16pm
Haha, amazing. It's on my bucket list to get to the TT one day.

The last few years the prices have gone insane though for ferries, accommodation etc.
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:40pm
Welcome to ukvac , i must have missed it when you first posted.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
gloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

Haha, amazing. It's on my bucket list to get to the TT one day.

The last few years the prices have gone insane though for ferries, accommodation etc.
Yeah, transport seems to make a double deal out of it because of the residents trying to escape the place for the festival too. I guess it's a bit like Glastonbury or whatever - the weather has a major effect on the event. Was a bit grim last year but the year before was incredible weather-wise.
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:41pm
Welcome
There was a guy called Glen who had an arcade on the Isle of Man.  I bought my Pong from him.  He had some awesome cabs.

Great Manx TT story.
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:27am
Yearvinwas there was the same year the TT got canned. Winter was horrendous (rain EVERY day for 3 months), but once April hit the weather was glorious.

Ended up staying with a mate from my home town on Loch Prom who jumped out of a random car as I was heading put for a beer beer.

Does the page 3 model still have the pub in town?
gloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:36am
Debee Ashby? She was running the Prospect pub in Douglas last time I saw her but that's a couple of years ago now. I moved up north back in 2012, so I'm a bit out of touch with 'the big smoke' sometimes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic