ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HELP: Model 2 -> 15pin D-sub ->multisync (like m3)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

HELP: Model 2 -> 15pin D-sub ->multisync (like m3)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP: Model 2 -> 15pin D-sub ->multisync (like m3)
    Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:50am
Hi,
Ive tested rally2 (model 3) using the vga style out connector to my multisync projector and it works (nearly)
ISSUE: not filling screen and input states 640x400 24khz 

Q: how do I get the 480 high?

MAIN ISSUE:

I assumed I could do this with model 2 (top skater)
I tried some wires I had about from the SR2 to lcd convertor, which had 5 wires to a vga block.
When I connected with a block those 5 wires to the 5 wires that come out of model 2, I get a picture but VERY high contrast.

The colour bar test was great for first 10-20%, but the remaining was all what should be on the last block.
Basically all mid colours 10%-90% were at 90% levels, making lots of white.  A bleached look but very darks still there.

I believe on model 3, the vga port is nothing special, and will only contain whats o the other socket RGBGS

So then I thought making a RGBGS to VGA, would be exactly what the model 3 filter board does?

Perhaps my wires are wrong?

I have looked at getting [url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clever-Little-Box-CLB-VGAPCBUNIT-Solderless-VGA-PCB-Module/362460451781?hash=item54645393c5:g:-3kAAOSwetBbxiUn:rk:1:pf:1]EBAY LINK SOLDERLESS 15-pin]/URL]

but where do these 5 wires go? or is there another issue?

Edited by Sbdesign - 11 Jan 2019 at 1:50am
PM ME IF you have VIRTUA COP - please
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:56am

not sure if this image on left (RGB) is what i would need?

John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:46am
Resolution wise, that’s already higher than model 2 (496x384) so it sounds like it’s got the wrong portion of the vertical image.

Are there potentiometers on the converter to adjust the input resistance for your contrast issue?
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:40pm
Hi John,
The Resolution was the model 3 (didn't realise they were different)
should be 640x480 (4:3) but I get 640 x 400 :(

IM NOT using a convertor.  Thats my plan, as the projector is capable of 24khz.  I am trying to not use one, with one I can get it working, but colours and noise occur, which I don't believe can be reduced 100%.  Don't get me wrong, you can get them good, but just 100%

Because Model 3 works on the vga out I was hoping Model 2 would also.
BUT model 2 doesn't have VGA connector.

From my reading the CN6 and VGA are the same but different socket.

MODEL 3 (SEGA RALLY 2)
SO VGA to projector works 24khz
BUT CN6 to VGA to projector doesn't (too much white) 24khz

Which either means: my wiring to vga plug is wrong or the VGA port is different than the CN6

This is where I am stuck.

If I get this proven working, then this will also work on the model 2 that has no vga just CN6

Edited by Sbdesign - 11 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:53pm
the signal on cn6 will be 3v whereas the signal on vga will be less than 1v

Edited by gunblade - 11 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:06pm
Ah, it's not really 'VGA' (31kHz, 640x480) - just a 15-pin DSUB with a similar-to-VGA pinout (you see it on 15kHz stuff too). 
Model 3 is the same as Model2 - 24kHz, 496x384.

As gunblade points out, it's a difference in the signal amplitudes that makes the colours vary, so you could put in-line resistors to reduce the amplitude of the Model2 CN6 signal (they'll work in conjunction with the resistors in the monitor to act as a potential divider). Not sure what value, that's why potentiometers found in converter boards are useful.
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:06pm
Thanks, will it need to variable resistor? 
Any idea what parts I should get to do this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:25pm
I just said variable as I didn't know the optimum value . 1k variable resistors in-line and winding them down until it's sufficiently bright, but the contrast is OK.

You could maybe just start with some basic 220R resistors (or thereabouts) soldered in-line on the RGB signals.
If it's 75 ohms inside the monitor, then it'll drop the signal to about 1/4, I think. 

Apologies if I've got this all wrong - no monitor expert, but in-line resistors has fixed the same issue for me in the past.

Edited by John Bennett - 11 Jan 2019 at 10:26pm
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:31pm
cheers!
But will these EBAY LINK

If so, which value?
and what do I use on the ground pin?
And what lines? just the rgb?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:00am
You use the middle pin and a side pin and leave the other unconnected. It acts as a variable resistor rather than a potentiometer this way.
Put it in the RGB, the same way you get resistors in jamma to scart cables.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic