Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Helping Hand Soldering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfa75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helping Hand Soldering
    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 6:56am
I'm looking for an ideal Helping Hand Soldering to use for repairing Arcade PCBs, any product tip or link would be helpful, Thanks!
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 9:30am
Only tips I can give are;

- Buy decent gear (for soldering and desoldering).  Proper temperature controlled irons with changeable tips are a must.   Do not just set the temperature to the hottest it can go otherwise you'll damage traces/pads easily.   I use Xtronic kit for both, others swear by other makes.

- Clean desoldering irons after every use.   They often block very easily if you do not.

- Practice a *lot* on scrap boards before you take on real repairs.   You will likely make mistakes at first, best to do that on something you don't care about.   

- Do not bother with solder wick and suckers, they are useless.   

- It's useful to have both leaded and unleaded solder handy.  Older boards all use leaded, newer stuff the unleaded.   They do not mix very well, try and use the same type.

- Sometimes you need to add some new solder to stubborn connections you're trying to desolder.   It defies logic I know.

- Becoming good at soldering/desoldering requires patience.   It's not an overnight thing in my experience.

HTH

Dan
alfa75 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfa75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 12:00pm
Thanks for the very helpful tips, somebody might have a product tip for me, I'm looking for something like that.

RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 12:59pm
I completely agree with DanP:
- Forget solderwick, it's useless for any proper work.
- Temperature controlled is great, you'll need the max setting only for when removing parts connected to power planes.
- Non-leaded solder joints will often be naff.  I always use leaded solder personally, but yes don't mix, or eat it.

There's only really a few ways you can mess things up:
- Too much heat on a component.  Soldering should be a quick process, make sure you heat the component leg and the pad at the same time, and apply the solder to that area and not the iron.  Some components will only tolerate that direct heat for a second or two.  Wait 5-10secs before you do the next leg of the component to allow it to cool slightly.
- Use the right tip for the job.  For most components on a typical arcade board a 1-1.5mm tip should do it, any bigger and you'll end up soldering pins together accidently
- If removing ICs, don't try to remove the whole thing at once, use the basic method of cutting each leg of the IC so you can remove it the IC top, and then de-solder each of the remaining legs one at a time.
- Don't bother with flux for now.

Andy

Welcome to bonus stage.
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 1:07pm
CPC sell loads of variants of those helping hand things. Some with three clips/hands some with magnifier and soldering iron holder. They always seem to be on special offer... However, ages ago someone bought me one like that pictured. I find the croc clips swing through 360 degrees too easily unless the thumb screws are insanely tight and if you tighten them up too much the clips collapse. It is however better than nothing.. so basically if I were looking for another I'd focus my attention on the quality of the clips and the thumb screws used to lock them in position.

Originally posted by alfa75 alfa75 wrote:

Thanks for the very helpful tips, somebody might have a product tip for me, I'm looking for something like that.

Edited by karlcdoe - 02 Oct 2019 at 1:07pm
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:33pm
I tried one of those helping hand things and found it pretty much useless for everything too much fiddling to get a decent position
and too small for most stuff and any thing with a small amount of weight it fell over
mine was only a cheap one though
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:39pm
I find them very useful but yet to find a good priced quality one !
AKA Wonderboy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic