ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > New Users Post Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Hi folks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi folks!
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:49pm
Just thought I'd introduce myself as I'm firing off requests to members to buy things Smile

From the UK but based in France and interested in the nostalgia factor of arcade gaming as much as anything. I'm starting off with a Neo Geo MVS with a supergun and a fightstick I made a few years ago to work with a Rapsberry Pi. We all have to start somewhere I guess and it's been fun to learn about.

Want to build my own cabinet to get some woodworking experience (lots of free materials in the form of chucked-out Ikea wardrobes where I live), but the holy grail of machines to own would be the full-sized sit-on bike version of Hang On I played at Felixstowe Pier in the 80s.

Cheers! TJ
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:28pm
Welcome aboard
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:14pm
You should probably prepare for a dose when looking at real hardware, it ain't always cheap :p
qjuk View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 1:37am
Welcome to the Vac Toejam.

The thing I really like about this hobby is that it’s whatever you make it. Building your own cabinet can be great fun and rewarding. There’s been some really nice self builds done by other members, a Robotron and a Defender spring to mind.
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:43am
When building your own be sure to use some plans that are readily available on the internet. You do not need 6 buttons each unless you really need to play street fighter 2 that badly!! Also consider if it's essential to be 2 player. 3 buttons and a single 8-way / 4-way joystick will cover loads of classic games.

Beware the Jamma Hall of Shame!!
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/the-official-ukvac-hall-of-shame-cab-thread_topic366006.html

Edited by Nes4life - 15 Aug 2019 at 7:48am
NES4Life
-------------
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:32am
Welcome matey

If you had been on forums a few years back u could of picked up the Limited Edition Hang-On that was in France, are a few original ones in Europe though so still a chance
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Toejam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:29am
Cheers everyone for the warm welcome! Looking forward to spending more time on here.

Originally posted by mysticmonk mysticmonk wrote:

You should probably prepare for a dose when looking at real hardware, it ain't always cheap :p
Yeah, trying to keep it simple with the MVS for now but there's definite potential to go a bit nuts I reckon. 

Originally posted by qjuk qjuk wrote:

The thing I really like about this hobby is that it’s whatever you make it. Building your own cabinet can be great fun and rewarding. There’s been some really nice self builds done by other members, a Robotron and a Defender spring to mind.
I think that's definitely part of the attraction for me - so much to learn around the electronics angle too. Will dig around the forum for those builds, cheers.

Originally posted by Nes4life Nes4life wrote:

When building your own be sure to use some plans that are readily available on the internet...
Great advice, yes no need to reinvent the wheel just yet as you say. I saw a guy who built a half scale model out of cardboard before starting work on the full sized cab to iron out any issues which I liked. The Hall of Shame is epic, 100% I'm going in that!

Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

If you had been on forums a few years back u could of picked up the Limited Edition Hang-On that was in France, are a few original ones in Europe though so still a chance
I can imagine they go for a pretty penny too. Who knows, maybe there's potential for an arcade cab version of Combat Dealers. "I've heard there's a bloke in Luxembourg who's got an original Hang On!" :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic