ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > New Users Post Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

hi from Stevenage, englandshire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hi from Stevenage, englandshire
    Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 9:46am
Hi All - new guy from just north of london.

40 next year and always been into my gaming. grew up mainly late 80s but the 90s were my time. Killer instinct, SF, MK - I'm well known around the streets of Stevenage for appearing on a few shows such as Games Master and Gamesworld, I'm kind of a big deal - but I don't really like talking about it.... (Sorry, being a prat :) )

Anyway, Last year went a bit mad built a mancave in the garden and my first arcade machine - probably against all you guys and plonked a PC in it. Was all for my son, art worked up with "Archies Arcade" who loves it.

Since building it I have learnt the importance of trying to use a CRT, and authentic parts. I think when I move house I will really start to collect classic cabinets, but who knows!

Anyway hi all. 

Dave
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 3:12pm
Welcome aboard Dave
Dont feed the Fcuking trolls
ianski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Don't worry you aren't far from some of us in the South... we'll happily come over and smash it up / burn it with fire for you ;)
Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:27pm
Welcome to VAC... from sunny Buntingford. Big smile

floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:36pm
Haha I wish I had never got involved in hyperspin to be honest. Can be such a ball ache.

Is using Jamma ok in a cab with this crowd here or is that not Authentic enough? (just learning my way)
floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:37pm
 Crikey - Just married a Buntingford girl last week.

She's alright, bit posh :)
rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by floodie floodie wrote:

well as I am only a year older than you I might know her... unless she is in her 20s.

dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:48pm
Welcome! Best way to get started in my opinion is a Jamma cab with a CRT.

You can plug in a cheap-ass multiboard / MAME PC / Raspberry Pi, but also start using real Jamma PCBs for your favourite titles if desired.

If I'm being honest, then emulation is pretty good these days for a lot of games if you're using a recent version of MAME on a PC and a CRT (as opposed to a cheap multiboard which tend to exhibit more defects.

PCBs obviously have the advantage of booting instantly, and you're guaranteed the original experience. However, you've got to factor in the spiraling price, storage and maintainability of the games. 

Stickman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:06am
Hi Dave

I am from St. Evenage born and bred, now reside north of Hitchin. Welcome to the forum it’s a great place. I started with a MAME build then got some JAMMA cabs and now have a couple of dedicated cabs awaiting the arrival of an original Space Invaders I have bought

This is a great place to get advice , parts and cabs as well as meeting some great people.

Be warned though it’s a slippery slope once you start collecting

Ohh how I wish for these cabs.... Robotron..PacMan..Tron..Gorf..Star Wars..Defender/Stargate
digweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Stickman Stickman wrote:

Hi Dave

I am from St. Evenage born and bred, now reside north of Hitchin. Welcome to the forum it’s a great place. I started with a MAME build then got some JAMMA cabs and now have a couple of dedicated cabs awaiting the arrival of an original Space Invaders I have bought

This is a great place to get advice , parts and cabs as well as meeting some great people.

Tell me about it LOL
Wanted: Naomi Naomi Naomi spares, everything considered :)
silversmurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:12am
Welcome - I'm down the road in sunny Walkern
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:36am
Welcome to the forum
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:59am
Welcome.

I lived down the Road from Stevenage for a number of years.
floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by rcantor77 rcantor77 wrote:

Originally posted by floodie floodie wrote:

well as I am only a year older than you I might know her... unless she is in her 20s.

Was in her 20s a few months ago - turned 30 in feb. need to trade her in.

Sarah Alberts. Small world potentially
floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

Welcome! Best way to get started in my opinion is a Jamma cab with a CRT.

You can plug in a cheap-ass multiboard / MAME PC / Raspberry Pi, but also start using real Jamma PCBs for your favourite titles if desired.

If I'm being honest, then emulation is pretty good these days for a lot of games if you're using a recent version of MAME on a PC and a CRT (as opposed to a cheap multiboard which tend to exhibit more defects.

PCBs obviously have the advantage of booting instantly, and you're guaranteed the original experience. However, you've got to factor in the spiraling price, storage and maintainability of the games. 

Great advice thank you!... id love in the end to build a huge man cave arcade and have loads of machines running but surely then power becomes an issue (unless you swap them all with flat screens. 

I would love to get hold of a Killer instinct cabinet, or make a replica some day.

Those multi jamma boards seem like a good deal. Thing is id like a few in a row and just have 1 of the games switched on (if that's possible) so each machine boots directly into one game... Have coin doors and have say hundreds of 10p's in a pot me my friends and kids can just use to make it as authentic as possible.. Its just not the same pressing a button instead of entering a coin and hearing all the old noses that go with it
floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Stickman Stickman wrote:

Hi Dave

Awesome!! would be great to pop by one day and see them. Seeing any old arcades is tough nowadays. I know the chap at HOG in London and been to Arcade World up norf which was amazing. 
floodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:36pm
Hi to everyone else also! thanks for the warm welcome.

Its gaming day today! Just found out the guy I played Killer instinct against on gamesmaster all those years out is Rory Reid, one of the presenters of top gear! crazy 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic