ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Irem M92 Major Title 2 to R-Type Leo Conversion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Irem M92 Major Title 2 to R-Type Leo Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irem M92 Major Title 2 to R-Type Leo Conversion
    Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:25pm
Hello,

I'm in the process of converting an M92 Item boards (original) that was Major Title 2 to R-Type Leo.

I have successfully changed the jumpers accordingly and burnt a new set of roms, but i have a sprites issues, that has me alittle stumped. Mainly because it seems there are no schematics for this boardset??

I was hoping there might be some IREM pcb experts about, which i could check a few things. I'm alittle concerned that the custom GA22 is hosed on this board :( as it seems to generate everything that goes to the sprite roms directly.

The issue is all sprites are missing and there seems to be random flashing of things that look like sprites but they all look garbled. The fonts and background images all look perfect and ram/rom test at boot passes. (i'm pretty sure the ram/rom test doesn't even look at the sprite section though)

Probing the pins with a logic probe on the 4 sprite roms, i get activity on all address lines except A3 and A14. These 2 are always low. As are the !E and !G lines (though these seem to be tied low). I double checked there is continuity from the 2 address lines in question to the GA22 ic and there is. Was hoping it was a bad connection or broken trace/pin, but no luck there. 

A small side note, At first i was getting nothing on any address pins to the sprite roms, but i replaced the jumper j3 on the main board that people talk about and that got activity going.

Any help of advice on something else i could check greatly appreciated. :)
https://mypinballs.com
https://facebook.com/mypinballs
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:45pm
Did Major Title 2 run without sprite issues?

I'd not permanently jumper anything. Pop pin headers into the jumper points first, and put jumpers on them that match the original positions.

Check Major Title 2 runs correctly before moving onto swapping the ROMs and moving the jumper headers.

Edited by Flinnster - 22 Aug 2019 at 6:09pm

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:00pm
Completely agree with Flinnster on this point.
Never try to convert a board before confirming it works fully first!!!!
One tip I can give you is to make sure JP3 is set to the 2 pins nearest to the B. This jumper is on the top board over near the crystal and the GA22 near the edge of the board.
ZeroSum View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeroSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:31pm
Conversion Monkeys.
myPinballs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:37pm
Yeah i should have said i didn't set the jumpers changes permanently i installed moveable jumpers and i have had the major title 2 roms back in a few times to check things. Don't think the sprites work on either set, which isn't looking too good :( I didn't really notice it to begin with on major title2, as i didn't play a game, just booted to attract screen.

The j3 jumper on the top board i've redone and that's what gave me address line and data line pulsing on the sprite ics. Before i replaced it there was nothing. And its definitely set on 'B'

What i was hoping to find out is if the 2 address lines i noted should be pulsing like the others. If true then i can only assume the GA22 is hosed like i suspected.

Major Bummer !!! 
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
You've got a bad GA22 custom for sure, I've got a Major Title 2 and R-Type Leo on my shelf both with bad GA22s. Cry
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:02pm
Ouch

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:01am
Originally posted by ZeroSum ZeroSum wrote:

Conversion Monkeys.

Was this supposed to mean something

I have 2 faulty main boards, both with Sprite issues. One has every other vertical line missing and the other just has incorrect blocks of gfx making up the sprites. So pretty sure its a combo of GA21 & GA22 errors. Haven't found a way to narrow it down yet!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:58am
Originally posted by GadgetFreak GadgetFreak wrote:

Was this supposed to mean something

I think we're somehow impure, by arranging 1's and 0's in a different order on a specific EPROM placed in a PCB than the manufacturer originally intended.

So very dirty, be ashamed LOL

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:59pm
Must be one of those strange people that collects golf games
jinq-sea View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:24pm
What sort of monkey is a 'Conversion Monkey'? Don't think I've ever seen one.

Anyway, OT - is the GA22 custom a known one to go on IREM boards then?
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:47pm
It never used to be but seems they are starting to fail. Doesn't help when they're stored in cold damp sheds.
jinq-sea View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:51pm
Good to know - thanks!
myPinballs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:13pm
Good to share info on these definitely. Are these custom chip specific or generic for all m92 boards I wonder?

I got this board in a big load of random boards and was pretty chuffed
as I have wanted to do this conversion for ages to add to my Nintendo r-type cabinet

Never been called a ‘monkey’ before, as I’ve spent my life fixing arcade and pinball electronics, but yes I wanted to have r-type Leo instead of a golf game, guilty as charged!!!! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic