ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is the arcade Robotron 2084 related with Draco ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Is the arcade Robotron 2084 related with Draco ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the arcade Robotron 2084 related with Draco ?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 10:06pm

Hello mates,

Some of you know I´m a big fan of games like Defender, Robotron or Berzerk, I will try to contribute more often, I feel very grateful to the people I found in this forum during last 4-5 years.

The particulary game I like to talk in this post is called Draco and I finded in a great spanish project called www.recreativas.org a titanic work they do trying to document and preserve as much as they can of the Spanish arcade industry during last decades, here in the forum they are some guys from the team working on this like davet, Arcade Hacker, Ricky2001, Osquilla and Aliarde also our association Arcade Vintage helped in some games to be preserved.

Designed by EFOSA and distributed by Cidelsa the arcade branch of Playmatic a well know pinball company here in Spain.

The game was released in 1981 and the mechanics of the game for me I find very interesting for particularly that early days, like 2 joysticks to play one for movement and the other to shot the enemies to all directions, also was one of the first games to allow continue, but really the aspect like in the intro with the multicolored frame movement also some sounds, the interval between lives or different phase with a different color screens etc ... it reminds me a lot to Robotron Wacko

All the information I found in recreativas.org is they tried to sell the game going to some international events like JAA'81 in Tokio or IMA 1982 and catch the attention of Bally/Midway having after some meetings in Playmatic headquarters to arrange a contract for distribution the game in the USA, unfortunately we don’t known all the history about this relation. 

I find this very interesting with maybe some connections to other games in the industry, perhaps somebody here can help or simply I´m happy just to show all of you about this thoughts.

All the information and pictures taken from www.recreativas.org thank you guys to teach me such interesting things about our arcade history

I encourage to all forum members to collaborate with the project if some of you have any Spanish game maybe is not preserved or documented please contact them.

Edited by Bicton - 03 Feb 2018 at 1:42pm
http://www.arcadevintage.es
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:31pm
Interesting! It certainly does have some similarities to Robotron. Hmm, I wonder...
RygarR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:45am
Someone should check where E. Jarvis and known associates went for their summer hols in 1981 ;-)

Edited by RygarR - 03 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 11:35am
It's blatantly obvious they ripped it off!!!

Wow.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

jugemscloud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 12:36pm
i would say they took all the unique things from this game to be the basis of robotron but there is certainly a fair bit of differentiation in aesthetics and gameplay to say that robo is its own entity.

i asked last week about the first 8 directional shot, bomjac said sheriff was 81 but that has a ratcheted knob style control, this may the first shot control with an 8 way stick? and as such an important piece of history

thanks for sharing. we really need to get our act together in europe and collate all the information regarding the locally developed software and modifications, rather than just have the US-JAPAN narrative that has dominated. we are fortunate in the uk of being the beneficiaries of a preferential trade agreement with america for such a long time that i think people don't realise how lucky we had it in comparison to other european countries (never mind those behind the iron curtain), the prevalence of bedroom coding in the early days of home computers and gaming and role this played in establishing a very robust coding industry here, and also how the language barrier plays out in access to information both in the past and contemporarily.

my thanks for presenting this information to us in our native language as well, i have spanish friends and it is always a source of personal shame that i have put in comparatively little effort in learning their language

Edited by jugemscloud - 03 Feb 2018 at 12:40pm
davet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 12:58pm
Hi thanks for sharing!!
Graphics in Draco could be 'crude' at first, but I love these abstract design. It's interesting the 2-joystick control, before Robotron and same year as Space Dungeon, but also the continue option feature. Besides games like Lunar Lander, where you can extend your gameplay at any time, Draco introduces a continue option AFTER you die, in 1981 I only remember right now (please help if you know another title) Bosconian to have this feature, and a bootleg of Scramble from spanish company Video Game SA, where they introduced it too (The idea would work, later, in official pseudo-sequel Super Cobra from Konami the game had this option already.)

Engineers at EFO/Playmatic were piooners in Spain in develop videogames, later they designed Magnet, an arcade system that used 3"5 floppy disk for games, years before Sega's System 24.

And yes, UK hardware/software had a big influence in rest of Europe. In Spain in 80's in 'home market' were looking to UK, not to USA or Japan. No NES or Mario at home for example, (except Mario and DK for our spectrum and cpcs)

Greetings!
shaunholley View Drop Down
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by jugemscloud jugemscloud wrote:

We really need to get our act together in europe and collate all the information regarding the locally developed software and modifications, rather than just have the US-JAPAN narrative that has dominated.

100% agree with this.
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Co-host of http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Osquilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Osquilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 4:31pm
Hi, I'm Oscar Najera member of the team  Recreativas.org, a project that tries to document the history of the Spanish Arcade, pinball and other kind of amusements machines. It's my first post in this forum and my English is bad, so I'll use the google translator.

EFOSA (Functional Operational Electronics S.A) Started in 1973, its founders are Fernando Yago, Frederic Massallé and Jose María Roger. In the beginning they developed electronics for consumer equipment: first electronically controlled dishwasher, microwave oven, electronic ignition of cars, etc. etc.

In 1974 Fernando Yago began to dedicate himself exclusively to amusements machines and working with microprocessors, presenting an electronic pinball in Chicago in 1976. All this research culminates in 1977 with the launch of Space Gambler, the first electronic pinball manufactured by a Spanish company called Playmatic and the electronics was developed by EFOSA

EFOSA continue as a shareholder in Playmatic.Playmatic and from that union Cidelsa was born, which will be the one that commercializes the future arcades. Fernando Yago is the creator of the first Spanish videogame "Destroyer"  the games that followed are Altair,Draco, Altair 2 (without preserving) and Octopus / Nightmare (without preserving).

The company Bally / midway became interested in the game Draco, they reached an agreement in which the technology was sold to Bally / midway and they would be in charge of manufacturing in the USA.

After that Efosa focused on the development of the Magnet system.

Regarding what the user comments @jugemscloud I totally agree. It seems that when we talk about arcades, only the USA and Japan exist. Games have come out of Spain  to the American market and Japanese market. From companies such as Cidelsa., Tecfri.and Gaelco.

Greetings and I hope the traduction its not so bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic