ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

J+ is closing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J+ is closing
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 8:48am
Hi guys, I just tried to post a cab for sale on J+ and it says as of 31st may the site will no longer allow people to post and unfortunatly after 14 years the site will close.
That’s a real shame as it was like here a a good source of information and
Friends.
Even tho I spend most of my time on this site it will be a shame to lose it.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:53am
Tis very sad indeed, I have found it to be a great source of info over the years.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Exterminator & Arkanoid set ups. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:03am
I believe Alpha1 offered to back some of it up and intergrate it with this site,not sure if Julian has said yes or not though
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:08am
It was ruined ages ago. I used to love it on there.
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

I believe Alpha1 offered to back some of it up and intergrate it with this site,not sure if Julian has said yes or not though

It would be fairly trivial to import the useful J+ forum data into the UKVAC database given that we're running on the same software/db schema.   It would be possible (though much less trivial) to import users as well, but given that most people are on both sites it probably wouldn't be worth it.   PM's are in the same possible category, but it would need more thought given that users (and there underlying database entry) will be different across the 2 sites.

If Julian were up for it we would of course mark any data imported as having originated from J+, it's a very useful source having been around for so long and we'd happily acknowledge that and where it came from.   

Finally, all J+ member are of course welcome here and that includes the Admin/Mod team.   At the end of the day we're all about collecting/restoring/repairing/preserving these old wooden boxes full over old obsolete electronics.  Running these sites is not simple or easy so I can well understand that they might want to just get back to being regular collectors again Smile

Dan
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Well said Dan, I agree all the information abailable is important to all collectors so would be good if it was still accessbale.

Keep up the good work guys.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

It would be fairly trivial to import the useful J+ forum data into the UKVAC database given that we're running on the same software/db schema.   It would be possible (though much less trivial) to import users as well, but given that most people are on both sites it probably wouldn't be worth it.   PM's are in the same possible category, but it would need more thought given that users (and there underlying database entry) will be different across the 2 sites.

If Julian were up for it we would of course mark any data imported as having originated from J+, it's a very useful source having been around for so long and we'd happily acknowledge that and where it came from.   

Finally, all J+ member are of course welcome here and that includes the Admin/Mod team.   At the end of the day we're all about collecting/restoring/repairing/preserving these old wooden boxes full over old obsolete electronics.  Running these sites is not simple or easy so I can well understand that they might want to just get back to being regular collectors again Smile

Dan

I think that's really good of the UKVAC team and Alpha1. I use both forums, but like others have said there is a lot of crossover so one site with everything together will be great.

Edited by neo-geo-mvs - 02 Jun 2018 at 11:39am
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:56am
Didn't Julian say the site would be archived? Presumably this would mean all the info will still be accessible?
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:01pm
The Pandora box section needs saving as it's the biggest collection of information on how to mod them on any forum.

I've got several threads I'll be cloning to here or AO to preserve them. I should have done in the first place (as I lost a ton of restoration threads when killercabs shut).
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
Massive shame, the only reason I knew this community existed was via J+ - they'd handed some cards out at one of the very early expos.

Would be good if the admins here can work something out to integrate the two, there's a ton of useful information on J+

This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:16pm
x2 on what Dan said above, I have suggested the same to Julian if it is really closing.

I'm already on both, so life will continue for me, but things should be made as easy as possible for folk to sign up here (obviously).
Like others have said, there is a ton of info / resources there that really needs saving whatever happens.

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Blinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:50pm
Wow, that is a real shame to hear. Sounds like wheels are in motion already but I hope the years of information will be preserved one way or another as I have found it to be a great resource in the past.

Big thanks to the team here for keeping UKVAC running, I'd be lost without it!
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

Agree.

Reap what you sow.

Would be useful to have some of the J+ content made available, but FWIW I'd rather have it parked up somewhere out of sight rather than integrated with UKVAC. A load of the content is bollocks. Yes, a lot of cross over between UKVAC and J+, but they are 2 quite distinct sites, with 2 quite distinct vibes to them.

Jm2p.
It's only original once.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by tb lilley tb lilley wrote:

Agree.

Reap what you sow.

Would be useful to have some of the J+ content made available, but FWIW I'd rather have it parked up somewhere out of sight rather than integrated with UKVAC. A load of the content is bollocks. Yes, a lot of cross over between UKVAC and J+, but they are 2 quite distinct sites, with 2 quite distinct vibes to them.

Jm2p.

Totally agree with James.  Lots of drivel on the site, as well as some very decent information which is worth preserving.

Archive it somewhere and set it to read-only - sounds like Julian has got the right idea to me if he is intending to do that Thumbs Up

Also I think it very unlikely that he will allow the sites to be merged because of previous history between both forums - personal feelings will take priority over what's best for the closing forum and its users if it doesn't continue.....but I could be wrong?

I wish the guy the best with his future endeavours

Edited by Purity - 02 Jun 2018 at 3:05pm
NaokiS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaokiS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

Originally posted by tb lilley tb lilley wrote:

Agree.

Reap what you sow.

Jm2p.

Totally agree with James.  Lots of drivel on the site, as well as some very decent information which is worth preserving.

Archive it somewhere and set it to read-only - sounds like Julian has got the right idea to me if he is intending to do that Thumbs Up

Also I think it very unlikely that he will allow the sites to be merged because of previous history between both forums - personal feelings will take priority over what's best for the closing forum and its users if it doesn't continue.....but I could be wrong?

I wish the guy the best with his future endeavours

As one who isnt in the know, what is the history between the two? Why do both places refer to each other as "over the road"?
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:12pm
I think its best not to go over the past and bring it all back up...
NaokiS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaokiS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by neo-geo-mvs neo-geo-mvs wrote:

I think its best not to go over the past and bring it all back up...

One could argue that.. Others would say that since J+ is ending and plus it's history, it's not going to affect much 
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:28pm
Why’s it closing, or is it best not to ask?

Never been on there - one forum is enough distraction for me

Edit:- Seen an explanation post now - fair enough, retirement :-)

Edited by John Bennett - 03 Jun 2018 at 9:11am
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off'.
forcefulfil View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
EDOT King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote forcefulfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

UKVAC: The longest running UK Arcade forum on the net
Sbdesign View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:17pm
Well it can only mean all info from now on is going to be on this one site, I think thats a good thing.
Looking out for a Sega Gun cab: HOTD 1or2 / VC 1or2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic