Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Magic Sword - CPS1 Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magic Sword - CPS1 Repair
    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:28pm
Ok so its been ages since I put any repairs on here. Sadly lack of time and the fact that not that many people seem to read them !!! 

SORRY ABOUT PITCURE QUALITY - NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CAMERA !

Any way today I had some time so I grabbed a CPS1 Magic Sword I purchased faulty.
First Problem :- Intermittent Boot
Second Problem :- No Audio
Third Problem :-  Bad Video (Lines through video)

Board before I did anything - Just labelled things ready for repair

Stripped and started cleaning :-

So first off the board was very dirty so I always strip them down and clean everything, So i started by removing all of the socketed IC's. I did notice that some of the legs (Mainly to the audio CPU) was corroded. So I gave the board a good clean and cleaned all the legs on the IC's cleaning them after with IPA. I also checked and verified the 3 Audio roms why i had them out and they all verified correct. I then re seated all the chips and fired it up ...

We now had Audio (Yeh !) and the board booted every time but we still had major graphics issues.
Next was to work out why the video was off , I suspected a rom but which one ?? There is 4 main GFX roms all labelled HN62404 - These are mask roms and can be read but need to read with a converter.
A good way to test is to remove each IC an see what difference it make, It will normally make some difference but how much is the question. I had labelled the Mask Roms 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Remove 1  - Made loads of difference (Video gets worse)
Remove 2 - Made loads of difference (Video gets worse)
Remove 3 - Not much difference at all
Remove 4 - Made loads of difference (Video gets worse)

So looking at the above I suspect Number 3 , So i removed and read the Mask Rom and Yep it was incorrect and would not verify. So burnt a new one a popped it in , Fired it up and voila ! All good playing well with sound and video all good.
Sadly I did not get time to play on it for long , You forget what a good game it is !!!!

Thanks For Reading,

Dave.

P.S If you enjoy reading this then please feel free to comment or give me a thank you, I have not been posting many of my repairs as it doesn't look like many people read them or bother to comment. It takes a while to do these as well !

A few images of this in the repair software :-

Edited by TheDaddy - 16 Apr 2020 at 10:00pm
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Del Griffith View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:49pm
Nice fix

How goes the A board test rig you were building? Any repair logs on those imminent?
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Del Griffith Del Griffith wrote:

Nice fix

How goes the A board test rig you were building? Any repair logs on those imminent?

Yeh I sort of started it but never finished. I got all the cables ready - I never got around to making the jog , I am hoping to get too it at some point as I have a few to repair Big smile

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Layer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:12pm
Good job Smile

It was a luck that your gfx issue was due to a defective mask, it could be worst.

TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Layer Layer wrote:

Good job Smile

It was a luck that your gfx issue was due to a defective mask, it could be worst.

Normally is , I dont have much luck ! I was expecting c board.
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:19pm
Nice and clearly done, cool :)

Great game too
Layer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:21pm
Indeed, C-board PPU or the PAL as well.
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:25pm
Nice fix.  Capcom cps1 mask roms are notorious for going bad.  I wonder why? 
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:42pm
I don't post every repair that I do and I wish that I did really, sometimes the typing up and preparation of a repair log can take longer than the actual repair! I've done some pretty good and lengthy repairs while not logging stuff as I go along and a few months later completely forgot what I've done, and needed to do the same again! So I now know I have to do it because of my tiny brain.

It is an invaluable resource for other people further down the line as well. I've done google searches for repair logs and found similar faults on my boards for which the advice has vastly helped. So you may not get thanks immediately, but they'll come in the long term and save boards from scrap or going in the ground.

I remember my first ever CPS1 board repairs back in the mid 90's, mainly Strider and Ghouls and Ghosts boards. Broken filters and caps, bad Z80s and ram chips, long before silicon depletion killed all the custom chips.
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:59am
thanks for posting. repair logs are some of the most interesting posts for me even though i dont have the time to look at any of my broken pcbs these days.
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
Is your repair software available to download?  
qjuk View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:06am
Nice straight forward repair Dave and thanks for the write up. Good to see another board saved

Originally posted by lix lix wrote:

It is an invaluable resource for other people further down the line as well. I've done google searches for repair logs and found similar faults on my boards for which the advice has vastly helped. So you may not get thanks immediately, but they'll come in the long term and save boards from scrap or going in the ground.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

There’s been many repairs logs from years ago that has really helped me and I genuinely appreciate the time and effort these people go to document their fixes. You might not get a thank you now but trust me you’ll get someone who is really grateful in the future when you help them save a board.
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by qjuk qjuk wrote:

Nice straight forward repair Dave and thanks for the write up. Good to see another board saved

Originally posted by lix lix wrote:

I think this pretty much sums it up.

There’s been many repairs logs from years ago that has really helped me and I genuinely appreciate the time and effort these people go to document their fixes. You might not get a thank you now but trust me you’ll get someone who is really grateful in the future when you help them save a board.

Yeah absolutely, I've come across previous repair logs that have been seriously helpful in narrowing down problems. Even being able to fix them sometimes.

Most of the time though, this is me reading complicated repair things...

TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

Is your repair software available to download?  

Not just yet - I am seeing how many people want it and if its worth me developing for release. Did a thread here to register interest but I will add you too the list :-)

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/arcade-software-interested_topic376361.html

Lix Wrote :- I don't post every repair that I do and I wish that I did really, sometimes the typing up and preparation of a repair log can take longer than the actual repair! I've done some pretty good and lengthy repairs while not logging stuff as I go along and a few months later completely forgot what I've done, and needed to do the same again! So I now know I have to do it because of my tiny brain.

This is one of the reasons for the software , My brain is like a sieve ! once I repair something I forget and looking back and my repairs is a god sent !

Dave.
rockbottom View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockbottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:33pm
Yep, same here, 2 dead gfx masks on my Magic Sword now Ouch
cheekibreeki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekibreeki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:19pm
These are a great source of info to someone who knows bugger all :)

Keep up the good work
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic