ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Maygay fruit machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maygay fruit machine
    Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:52pm
Hi all,

New to the forum and am hoping someone can help with my Maygay Coronotation Street fruit machine. Apologies if this is in the wrong section - feel free to move it.

Switched the machine on the other day and there was a slight burning smell after a while. Then I noticed the dot matrix display had gone off. Seems like the -12V rail has died. Everything else works OK - lamps, reels, sound etc.

Now I don't know if the display board has caused the fault, or the PSU has just decided to give up the ghost. When I opened it up I could see damage to the PCB track that goes from one of the TO220 packaged double-diode. The device seems to test out OK, but obviously the track damage needs repairing, and the surface mount capacitor will need replacing as a minimum.

Don't suppose anyone can help with a circuit diagram for the PSU? Or any general advice on repairing it. Obviously I'll replace all the electrolytic caps as a matter of course.

Sorry for all the waffling! Any help greatly appreciated, as the machine was bought for me by late father and I really want to get it running again.

Cheers,
Daz
TheDaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:26pm
Hi Daz, You pretty much answered your own question. Replaced all the caps in the PSU and check that the Wire round resistors are not short circuit. Replace the knackered track, Try to use something around the same gauge. If it has burnt a track out then there may be something causing this so have a real good look round, Test and check everything & Replaced if needed. Disconnect everything and fire the power supply up and check that everything is giving the correct values before plugging everything back in. I have never seen any diagrams for the PSU. Is it a scorpion 4 board set ?? Bit out of the loop on these now adays.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy.
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:02pm
Cheers for the reply Dave. Not sure if it is a Scorpion board set or not to be honest - I know very little about these machines.

I think I'm going to struggle to find what value the damaged surface-mount capacitor is.

Do the power supplies run OK with no load connected then?
TheDaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:15pm
You can contact Maygay I suppose or maybe someone has one and can give you the value. Can you get a model number of the psu ?? It should supply power without load , Just to test its ok first ( Allways the safe option I take ).

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy.
qjuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 11:42pm
Maygay is no more it was then back in the day bought out by Leisure Link.

If it’s the older original Maygay Coronation Street it ran on a M1A board and had a £6 or £8 jackpot. Thankfully there were quite a few different Maygay machines that used the same technology so parts should be interchangeable if you need to source a new power supply or motherboard from another machine.
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 12:51am
I don't think a Maygay PSU will power up with out been plugged into the mainboard. They switch off if they fail post too. I hated maygay machines, barcrest were always much better and way more reliable.

stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm
working m1 boards are rare these days,and commond a high price,lot's of battery acid damaged ones come up on ebay,but avoid them like the plauge
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
bountybob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bountybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by qjuk qjuk wrote:

Maygay is no more it was then back in the day bought out by Leisure Link.

If it’s the older original Maygay Coronation Street it ran on a M1A board and had a £6 or £8 jackpot. Thankfully there were quite a few different Maygay machines that used the same technology so parts should be interchangeable if you need to source a new power supply or motherboard from another machine.
Yep, If you can get a replacement board you just need to switch over the game and sound Eproms and you're good to go. There are a few cabs from Global Games which also used the Maygay M1 boards, so have a look out for them too. I'm trying to rack my brains to think which Global ones were on M1 but I'm drawing a blank.

Someone mentioned Scorpion 4 but the Scorpion boards were Bell Fruit Games tech.
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:39am
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to have problems finding out the value of the damaged surface mount cap in the PSU then!
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:32am
Can you take a pic of it, I cant remember if I have a maygay psu in me garage or at work
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
Hi,

This is the power supply in question....

qjuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:03pm
That’s an Epoch PSU. Is your machine the “Rovers Return”, same as this here on eBay?

Parts for these are more easy to obtain, there were so many of these machines that used this technology so you should be able to get it working.
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Yep, that's the same as mine. Will try and get hold of a replacement PSU.
Would still like to repair the other as a spare, so if someone does have a circuit diagram it would be good.
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:44am
yeah I have 5 of them in the garage! what value you after? Be very carefull with epoch machines, the only thing they ever do is break...….a lot...…
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:08pm
Here's a photo showing the damaged cap (C5). It would be nice to know the value, although it's also possible something else has been fried I suppose.

I've actually managed to get a spare PSU today, but have also discovered the cause of the incident! The dot matrix display module has had a burnout in the inverter section.

So although I would still like to get the PSU working as a spare one, I also now need the dot matrix display - has anybody got one for sale?? It's a Samsung 16L102DA4.

IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:34am
do you have a pic of the display? I just put a few a them in the attic! I'll have a look at spare psu boards but don't think itll tell you value on it.
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:16pm
Cheers, appreciate you looking. Here's a photo...

IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 10:04pm
Hiya yeah I have a display, if you still need one.
MT500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
Nice one, thanks for looking. How much do you want for it?
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:17am
No worries . You can have it dude for the price of postage if that's ok? think it should work. pm me your address an i'll get it sent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic