FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Midway MT-81 Transformer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midway MT-81 Transformer
    Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm
Hi Guys

looking for the part highlighted below to return my pacman to original wiring.

After a bit of research its a MT-81 transformer I need.

Thanks in advance

Setch

Edited by Setch - 07 Feb 2013 at 10:05pm
Wanted:
Model 2 Video Board, Model 3 Racing ROM Boards.
Red Sega Sitdown Plastics
saleem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saleem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:05pm
I think my bosconian has the same part as the pacman.what is the part number and inout outout voltage ratings?

Mt 87?
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:13pm
Hi

Taken from the manual, think its 120/240 input & 7v & 12v AC output, someone correct me if I am wrong here

Wanted:
saleem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saleem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:32pm
Looks like they are different.
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:45pm
thanks anyway, manage to find another post on here confirming the part I need so have updated the original post.
Wanted:
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:44pm
Hey setch, is it completely missing?
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
Hi Steve

Yes sadly it was completely missing when I got the cab so I jamma'd it so I could use it but after the switcher died I figured I may as well put it back to original.

Btw don't suppose you have found your tube rejuvenator yet, another job I still need to get done on this cab..

Andy
Wanted:
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm
I see this part is also used on uk spec midway galaxian cabs as well so if anyone has any same era midway cabs they may also use this part.

Would love to get this back up and running

Thanks again

Wanted:
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:17am
I think it's used on quite a few Setch. Although I've not checked the manual, I'm pretty sure the US variant (MT-80?) is in the bottom of my Tron cocktail. Obviously that's no help in itself but it tells us that the MT-81 variant would be in the bottom of a UK Tron. Now again, that's not overly helpful since nobodies likely to be scrapping a UK Tron, but it does tell us that Midway were still using the same transformers many games later...
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:54am
Thanks martin..

Come on guys start scrapping them Tron's for me
Wanted:
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 6:49pm
Ha, ok turns out im totally wrong & I have the MT-80 transformer and not the MT-82 which i assume is for the monitor.

I have a US machine.

So just out of curiosity whats the deal with using the MT-80 in the uk as long as i feed it 120v ?

Anyway probably still after the MT-81 but also need a MT-82 as well now although I do have a transformer running the monitor quite happily now but would prefer to get the original back in there.

Setch
Wanted:
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 6:52pm
should be fine - there's no fluorescent tube in a pacman, just a normal light bulb so it shouldn't care about the Hz. So just use a step down. My Tron doesn't have any flourescents either and that's OK.
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 7:00pm
Could i just feed the 120 off the monitor transformer or is that likely to be too much for it ?

Id rather not have to buy a step-down as the only one i have is a giant yellow site transformer.
Wanted:
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
Just to say, I'm basing all my answers on my Tron as I believe they're essentially the same setup!

Ok, so in my Tron (which is a US model) you can't run it off of the cab's monitor transformer since that is solely an isolation transformer and as such take it's input from the primary side of the main transformer, and in order to do that you would still need a step-down for the main transformer.

Can you power the main transformer from some other random monitor isolation transformer? Well, yes, you can as that is how my Tron works but I really, really must get round to undoing that hack (which was done by the original importer - who are well known and up north. 'Nuff said!). Thre are two problems, the first is that a monitor isolation transformer isn't really man enough so you will inherit a bit of a case of shakes and wobbles on the monitor, plus the transformer will get very warm indeed. The other is that the monitor transformer will be kicking out 128v if it's in-spec, more if it's out of spec. That's too high really so correspondingly you're not going to be doing anything else in the cab any favours because it will all be getting a bit too high of a voltage.

Like I say, it would work, but you really shouldn't. Sadly a £40 or £50 purchase from Airlink Transformers is the only proper way to go

Sorry for any typos and such - am just off out.

Edited by guddler - 09 Feb 2013 at 7:44pm
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:52pm
Old thread bump. Can I swap my Pac-Man cabaret MT-80 with a modern equivalent from Airlink?

Just scoping your civilian wardrobe
pobtastic View Drop Down
UKVAC Dev-Team Member
UKVAC Dev-Team Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pobtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:27am
It'd be easier to buy a US->UK chassis mount transformer, and feed the original AC "in" to it (and attach the "out" to continue where the original 120V would go).  No messing around trying to find something which perfectly fits the 7VAC and 12VAC requirements...
-- ArcadeGeek.co.uk --

WANTED:
Moon Patrol bezel, Round-Up bezel, Mikie kit, Guzzler kit.
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by pobtastic pobtastic wrote:

It'd be easier to buy a US->UK chassis mount transformer, and feed the original AC "in" to it (and attach the "out" to continue where the original 120V would go).  No messing around trying to find something which perfectly fits the 7VAC and 12VAC requirements...

Thank you. Appreciate that. Any chance you can point me in the direction (with a link) of a specific model you'd recommend?
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:05pm
I fitted an airlink transformer to my US ms pacman, as ran on 110v. Works a treat. If you need any pics, let me know.
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

I fitted an airlink transformer to my US ms pacman, as ran on 110v. Works a treat. If you need any pics, let me know.

Yes please, thank you.
pobtastic View Drop Down
UKVAC Dev-Team Member
UKVAC Dev-Team Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pobtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:09pm
Not the neatest of work ... I didn't have an awful lot of time (at the time ... this was for someone else) ... but see how I've just hijacked the cable coming in ~ then attached the transformer output to "continue" where I'd cut from...  You won't always have to cut, and maybe I didn't here ... but yeah, time wasn't on my side as it was sold and due to be picked up the following day! Confused

But ... worked fine...

I can't recall which one I bought, but I over-spec'd and it wasn't very expensive (it's an airlink too, I can look it up later).

edit: one thing I massively regret though ... the transformer is HEAVY and I wish I'd strapped it down before Martin took it away.  I just worried about it rolling around in the bottom of the cab and doing damage Confused

Edited by pobtastic - 15 Jun 2018 at 4:11pm
-- ArcadeGeek.co.uk --

WANTED:
Moon Patrol bezel, Round-Up bezel, Mikie kit, Guzzler kit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic