ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

MISTer arcade setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MISTer arcade setup
    Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:20pm
Hi there! A bit of a long shot but I’m after a MISTer JAMMA setup, preferably plug and play.

I’ve tried looking about online but can’t figure out what is required, nor source the bits I think I need.

Cash works but I’ve got boards and MVS to swap if trades work better for you.

Failing all that, perhaps someone with experience can show me exactly what I need to get going.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
gojira54 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:38pm
I don't have a cab to put my mister setup into but this looks like what you are looking for;
https://misteraddons.com/products/mistercade

Edited by gojira54 - 17 Nov 2021 at 8:38pm
pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:15pm
Thanks dude but sold out unfortunately.
SmoMo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:40pm
I've just put a Mister system together, I didn't use a mistercade but instead

* DE-10 Nano
Currently out of stock, but website says will have some more on the 29th
£137

* IO Board 6.1
This will give the VGA analog output, and other cool extras ( like a fan )
£41

* 128MB RAM
This will allow you to play all cores I think, including all the NEO GEO games.
I actually have a 32mb RAM for sale on the 'non arcade items' page, which is enough to most of the cores but not all of them.
£50

* USB Hub
You'll need this to plug in JPAC, keyboard, mouse ,wifi/bluetooth dongles ( if you use them )
£32

* 5 Volts 4 Amp PSU
This is recommended for using more powerful cores for extended periods, and for plugging in USB peripherals. The supplied PSU is fine, but I think only 2A so can be the cause of crashing in certain circumstances
£20

* JPAC ( USB version )
The latest MisteFPGA has automatic support for the JPAC keyboard mappings.
£45

* Sound Amp 
This is only needed if your cabinet doesn't already have an amplifier inside.
£27

Hope that helps,

Ben
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:32pm
jpac works
o sweet!

that’ll save a few quid then
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:37pm
Can you share any details about what you needed to do to get it working with a CRT in a cab?  I think you have to make some changes to the ini file for the 15khz resolution?
Lastspaceship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastspaceship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:38pm
There are a few off the shelf type ways but I guess there a bit limited availability at the moment, mistercade was mentioned, there’s the irkenlabs one (needs a mister set up separately), I think one was sold here recently. I have a set up from Antonio Villena that works in my NAC, which had for a while. Not sure if his connector works with all mister set ups. Might have to wait a bit for one of the off the shelf type routes if you go that way, bit of demand and theyre all prob struggling with parts etc.Nothings quite plug and play there’s a bit of set up a bit like a rpie.

Matt
SmoMo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Can you share any details about what you needed to do to get it working with a CRT in a cab?  I think you have to make some changes to the ini file for the 15khz resolution?

It was super easy

1) I downloaded one of the MisterFPGA images, wrote it to an SD Card using the free software Balana Etcher

2) Put the Mister bits together, plugged it into an HDMI monitor, plugged in ethernet cable for internet and booted up.

3) It took a while to install itself, then it downloaded all the cores and arcade rooms automatically

4) Turned it off, popped the SD Card into my computer and edited the mister.ini file,  and made sure it had the line forced_scandoubler=0

5) Popped the SD Card back into the Mister, connected the JPAC, VGA cable, audio cable, and turned it on.

I might have missed some details, but off the top of my head, that was pretty much it , compared to installing Emulators on a PC or Pi it was much much easier, maybe took 30 minutes in total, but 25 minutes of that was the MisterFPGA update script downloading all the cores and MAME roms while I waited.

cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:49pm
I believe the bare minimum is the DE10, a HDMI to VGA adapter, a JPAC and sound amp (or a JammASD USB as thst has an amp).
SmoMo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by cools cools wrote:

I believe the bare minimum is the DE10, a HDMI to VGA adapter, a JPAC and sound amp (or a JammASD USB as thst has an amp).

I was reading that it can be tricky to get the HDMI to VGA adapter at the moment, only ones with a particular chipset were comparable with the direct video output.

The problem is, the sites you can find which show you the compatible ones are no longer accurate, as Amazon are selling ones that look identical, with same name, but a newer chipset which apparently no longer works.

So may be need to order a few, they are really cheap, and just keep a working one and return the rest.
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:55am
If you get the IO board there is no need for the HDMI to VGA adapter
Rob_bob_2k6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:14am
Bought this last week. Don’t need to enable direct video mode working at 480p in a Naomi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KLKQN9U/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_glt_fabc_01FNW1WH6QMN7Y07GXST?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:48am
Wow! Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it’s really appreciated

I’ve ordered the DE-10 from Mauser. It turns out I live about a mile away from them!

MisterFPGA seems a good source for the rest of the lot so will put in an order there too. Should i go with a case? Do I need any other bits to put it together?

I’m quite interested in the Amiga and 486 cores. Can I just take the system and plug into hdmi on my tv and play them or is it a completely different configuration?

Thanks

Lloyd

Edited by pooman2084 - 21 Nov 2021 at 8:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:50am
I was waiting on mouser, their in stock date is not really to be trusted. Last month it got to the 29th and they just moved it on a month. I ended up ordering from terrassic but was around £200 with import duty.

I have heard good things about this but not used one, but cheaper than the mistercade:
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/jamma-adapter/

Edited by Rob_bob_2k6 - 18 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 9:18am
With Mouser, the available boards keep coming down, but is that not because of pre-orders, so if you put one in now, it'd come out of the 474 available in a week's time?

That number was near 1000 a week ago, so I'm presuming that's because folk are actually buying them.

The whole setup is alarmingly pricey, I must say. 

http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 9:20am
It is going down because people are ordering them, It’s an estimated date though and no guarantee there will be stock on that date. As I said, same happened last month, I had a back order in and it just rolled over a month.
TWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by pooman2084 pooman2084 wrote:

Wow! Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it’s really appreciated

I’ve ordered the DE-20 from Mauser. It turns out I live about a mile away from them!

MisterFPGA seems a good source for the rest of the lot so will put in an order there too. Should i go with a case? Do I need any other bits to put it together?

I’m quite interested in the Amiga and 486 cores. Can I just take the system and plug into hdmi on my tv and play them or is it a completely different configuration?

Thanks

Lloyd

You'll also need access to a SD card reader/writer for the initial setup if your PC doesn't have one built in. 
WANTED
Cabs:
Leisure 2000
PCBs: Astro Invader/Kamikaze
Parts: Robotron upper coin door | Sinistar red ball lever or entire joystick
ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:43am
Once you have the image installed, add the 'update all' script to the sd card scripts folder, then run it (scripts > update all).  That will then update a lot of the things you will probably be looking for.  

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

Edited by ColinD - 18 Nov 2021 at 10:45am
Lastspaceship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastspaceship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Rob_bob_2k6 Rob_bob_2k6 wrote:

I was waiting on mouser, their in stock date is not really to be trusted. Last month it got to the 29th and they just moved it on a month. I ended up ordering from terrassic but was around £200 with import duty.

I have heard good things about this but not used one, but cheaper than the mistercade:
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/jamma-adapter/

That’s the one I’m using. Defo works, wasn’t sure if it was set to work with his ready to go set up only.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm
My settings:

Output to 640x480 60hz
Vga scaler enabled
Line doubler disabled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic