ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Monitor Discharge Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sapporo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monitor Discharge Advice
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:57pm
I'm planning on getting my old chassis sent off for a service, and have read this guide about 20 times (and have bought that type of discharge probe), but I'm a bit nervous about where to put the crocodile clip to ground as my monitor doesn't really have a cage.

Looking at my photo here, all I can really see to make a grounding connection are the bolts holding the monitor in.

I was also wondering:
  • What's the black & white wire/braiding that you can see by the anode cap/suction cup, that feeds into the chassis? The loose orange/brown connector seems to be fed off it, but I don't know what it's for.
  • What's the other connector that can be seen sticking out to the right of the flyback?

Any suggestions/advice very much appreciated.
seanr28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:38am
best to post pictures as all chassis are slightly different

What make is it?
t-m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:52am
Looks like the tape holding part of your degauss coil has come loose and part of it has fallen off the tube.

If it were me i'd put the HV probe clip on the metal frame near the flyback.
jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:12am
put the crocodile clip on the ground wire, I have put arrows going to the ground wire, 

make sure you have a good connection going from your crocodile clip to your screwdriver

also make sure the chassis is totally disconnected from the 110v power source etc

if your not sure get someone to show you

Edited by jengineer - 13 Nov 2017 at 9:15am
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
seanr28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by seanr28 seanr28 wrote:

best to post pictures as all chassis are slightly different

What make is it?

Sorry didn't see the link to your picture...

Not one that Ive come across before

The orange coloured 2 pin plug is the degaus

HV probe under the anode cap and make sure that its touching the metal pins underneath and then use the chassis metal frame as the earth.

jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:35am
it's an Electrohome G19 chassis

IMO there an awful monitor with issues galore, never had a good one yet and I've had nearly every monitor going, I always recommend swapping them out for a Hanty 

Edited by jengineer - 13 Nov 2017 at 9:36am
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
sapporo46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sapporo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:38pm
So THAT'S why the degauss doesn't work!!
Now where do I connect it...

Thanks
sapporo46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sapporo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:47pm
OK, just as a follow-up: I was all set to discharge the monitor - put the HV probe tip under the anode cap, and nothing... so I wiggled it in a bit more and then the clip detached itself:

This made me very nervous, I touched the probe to it a few more times and there was nothing. Admittedly the power's not been on for about 2 weeks, maybe it doesn't hold the charge anymore?

As for the degauss coil connectors, see below. The red circled wiring is going to the orange two pin connector on the left of my original photo, the yellow circled wiring goes to the degauss coil (on the PCB it says "DG COIL" where these are connected So I guess I've a fault in my degauss circuit - what voltage should I expect to measure here?

On the whole it's a bit of a crappy cab I have...

One last thing: the orange/beige wires going from the top of the flyback (in original photo) - should they come off without too much trouble? I don't really want to send the neckboard with the chassis, or do I?

big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:26am
You don't always get anything happen when you discharge. 90% of the time, I get nothing. The most dramatic thing I've had happen is a click sound and a small spark. Needs to be done, though.
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
As above I rarely get any discharge sound, the odd click sometimes, its still good practice to wait a few minutes then probe around again to ensure there is no voltage. 

And yes, send the neckboard with the chassis, don't disconnect it, bubble wrap it good! 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic