Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Moon Cresta (Galaxian hardware) Missing White

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataridude74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moon Cresta (Galaxian hardware) Missing White
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:34pm
I have an original Sega/Gremlin Moon Cresta, which uses modified Galaxian hardware.

Red, Green and Blue are present, but there is no white.  As a result, all other colours are darker.

The game plays fine.

The video RAM appears to be fine, I have swapped the chips around and it makes no difference.

Pressing on a chip made the screen green, although reflowing the solder on the sockets has stopped that.  Although the sockets are really crap ones, maybe still a bad connection?

Or a chip in the video circuit is failing?

The video circuit is pure Galaxian (as far as I know) so same fixes will apply.
Living in the Bronze Age
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:09am
Puzzling since white is made by mixing all the three colours so if white is wrong then at least one of the other colours must be wrong.

There is a set of resistors coming from the colour prom so if you check the schematic and figure out what the values should be and check the ones on your PCB to see if they are all correct.
If they are it could be a problem with the prom itself.
You rang......?
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:16am
Maybe put a bit of wood under the PCB where you are pressing down on chips to prevent the board bending. This will eliminate it be something else a distance away from where you may think it is. I'd always change dodgy old sockets, I've had so many that have broken at PCB level and reflowing the joint can temporarily join it again only for it to go again the first time it is moved,also the connection can be read as ok on a dmm but in reality not good enough for signals and current to pass. You can locate a broken socket pin by simply using your soldering iron and gently move the the leg one way and release it, if it springs back it's probably ok.
ataridude74 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataridude74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:12pm
OK, so replaced the video RAM sockets, no change.

Checked the resistors by the colour PROM, no change.

Swapped out for another colour PROM from a Moon Cresta, no change.  Not changed the socket though.

R, G and B are all present, it is only white or shades of which is missing, and not a monitor issue as I have tested it with another board and no issue.

Living in the Bronze Age
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:43pm
Is video ground connected?
Sometimes PCBs can have strange effects if the video ground is not connected.
You rang......?
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 4:07pm
     Wow,pulled out some old boards to fire up and I have 2 bootleg bomb jack's,a sky kid,a pacman and a galaxian and all have the same problem, everything that is supposed to be white is grey. The red,blue and green colours all seem to be correct on all the boards. Can it be that all the 2114's have an issue that only effects the white? Surely not, you'd assume as the RGB colours are ok it couldn't be. The only thing I've noticed so far is when I changed a suspect ls 157 on one of the bomb jack PCBs when it boots, 2 of the blocks on the white colour bar check are now slightly pinkish where they were just grey before hand.
    Any pointers on this one would be appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic