ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moonwalker / Alien Storm from Invadar raid - DONE!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Moonwalker / Alien Storm from Invadar raid - DONE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:42pm
Great stuff Olly. Nice to see you back at the restosThumbs Up
Bicton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:20pm
awesome mate good job! 
http://www.arcadevintage.es
Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 10:16am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Originally posted by Mikonos11 Mikonos11 wrote:

Will you repro metallic details in bezel and Side Arts? I know how to make it. If you need info, tell me.

Regards

I won't be doing it with the bezel as when I reverse print on to the plexi the surface needs to be perfectly flat so I can't add in a layer of silver. It's also a lot of guess work as I don't have an original to copy from, just a photo so it will be impossible to match it accurately.

You can use a doble glass for bezel, one of 3 mm. and other of 2 mm., and do a glass sandwich.

These are examples of one of my tutorials:

Regards

Edited by Mikonos11 - 07 May 2018 at 10:34am
My mail: midasororey@yahoo.es
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:03am
Great Work Olly. Nice to see bringing cabs back to life again. Great game this one as well. Not many of these now, surely? Very nice job on the artwork. I use Halfords for all my spray cans now. Never had any complaints.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:23pm
I remember playing this with my mates, we would get on our BMX's and cycle 10 miles to the nearest arcade, happy daysSmile

Great restore Olly, looks fantastic!
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Unfortunately the monitor popped just after my last update, bit of a shame as things were going so well, but it's ok it's gone off to tb2000 for a new lopt. It's a very distinctive smell when one goes, so never really much doubt what's broken...just have to hope nothing else on the chassis has gone!

While that's getting sorted I can crack on with the control panel.

I get asked quite a bit exactly how I fit them, everyone has a different way it seems but this works for me. I apply it dry, but many people like to use some water spray or a small dot of washing up liquid so you can lay it down and still move it around a bit to get it perfectly aligned. There's no right or wrong way imo, just what works for you.

Here's exactly how I fitted this one.

Freshly painted panel, sanded back, painted again and finally sanded with some very fine grade paper - by hand. I'm constantly feeling the surface for any lumps or bumps and making sure it's completely smooth. Also this gives a good key to the surface to aid with adhesion.

Lay the new overlay on the panel, align it and then tape with masking tape in several places to keep it completely locked in place.

Remove 1 sides masking tape, lift up overlay and peel off half the backing (up to the next taped part).

Cut off the backing paper with a pair of scizzors (using a knife can leave a jagged edge and create little particles of paper that get stuck under the overlay).

Push down the overlay with a squeegee from the centre out. If any bubbles appear gently peel back and push them away. Work slowly, check from different angles to make sure there's no bubbles.

Now remove all masking tape from the other side, and start to peel off the other part of the backing - but not all of it. Just enough so it stands up.

Now you can push the other part of the overlay down and as you work along the backing paper will make its own way along the panel, meaning you can work nice and slowly applying the other half, again making sure no bubbles appear.

Go right to the edge and overlay is fully applied.

Trim any excess with a fresh craft knife blade along the panel edge. It should go in one smooth movement following the edge of the panel, not lots of small cuts - just one smooth fluid motion.

Panel all trimmed.

Now to cut button and stick holes. I find it much easier to prop up 1 side of the panel so you've got room to work in. Put another fresh blade in your knife. I use the stanley snap off ones, and probably go through 3 full blades in a job like this. It keeps all edges nice and smooth, and is much easier to work with than a full size stanley knife.

Cutting holes following the contour of the panel, again in 1 smooth fluid motion.

All finished.

Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:06pm
Original bolts sanded smooth and primed.

3 light coats of satin black

Clean up all the buttons and sticks, using all the original stuff.

These plastic leaf switches hold up really well. I much prefer these to microswitches.

Loom all replaced and new cable clamp fitted.

Fully restored panel.

Comparison of original panel and restored panel fitted to the cab.
NaokiS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaokiS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:58pm
Amazing work olly!
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:01pm
Looks fantastic, well done. Clap
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 6:27pm
Looking great

Quite nice looking cabs as well, shame we didn't seem to get more sega stuff over here really
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:31pm
New bezel plexi has arrived, it should have tinted so got a nice bit ready to print on the back of it this week hopefully if there's time.

Had a very nice delivery this morning....

A repaired Moonwalker pcb courtesy of Caius from jammarcade.net. Full repair log here:

I had a second set that came with a cab I bought but that's got a dead custom so that's been used as a donor set to use for an Alien Storm board, so now a simple swap of the rom board and 68000 and I can play the 2 games on the same cab.

Getting close to the end now!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:56am
Getting closer! Looking forward to seeing how the bezel turns out!

Will be great to play both Alien Storm and Moonwalker in that cab!
Eddhorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
That control panel is minty fresh, wow.
Actually the whole thing is.
Great work, another one saved :)
NKG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:19pm
Pukka job, always remember our local computer shop had a moonwalker, never got to play it though only a select few seem to have that pleasure
Neokidgeo
Escape-to-88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape-to-88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 1:23pm
Looks ace, my local arcade had this and a Moonwalker side by side when I was a younger chap!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:28pm
Update on the bezel. First attempt I tried doing a reverse print - this definitely doesn't work on dark tint! You could barely see the art, so had another go doing it on the front same as Nintendo bezels...and very happy with the result!

Edited by muddymusic - 19 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
mr_ppp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_ppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:00pm
Looks stunning!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm
Oh wow, great job! Looking forward to the money shots when it's all back together. 
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
Phwoar!
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:37pm
fitted pix plz!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic