Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > High Scores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Mr Do!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:18pm
Hey Mappy

Watched that video - nice play, looked flashy but heavy scoring early on. Just wish it wasn't cut though, I want to see more of scene 30+ action to improve my game.

I never used that dieing technique to freeze opponents, and I have trouble trying to use it. I just auto-pilot into my old ways of clearing scenes when it gets busy.

Will watch again and study.

And 2 diamonds in 1 game! Haha, at least I've done that before

Cheers
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:33pm
A UK Mr Do Competition would be amazing.

I'd love to see the really good players Do! their stuff

Would need plenty of practice to be able to put in a decent-ish score, and would probably still get handed my hat!

I had never seen a genuine Mr Do cab before seeing the one in the expo video's, not sure what the cab I used to play on was back in 82-3, looked more like a Spectrum but with an angled screen with a perspex. It also had a stainless steel joystick, no ball or bat top, just a slightly tapered shaft with a rounded off top. Never seen one like it since.

Cheers

Edit - Have learned that it was in fact a Zaccaria cab I was playing, and have put feelers out for one in the Wanted section.

Edited by Kewydee - 25 Oct 2014 at 8:11am
ianski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:18am
I've watched this video in it's entirety 3 times before and it definitely improved my score but I keep trying to master the techniques and losing lives rather than play safely. Must remember to not take unnecessary chances!

I've got 2 diamonds in one game before.

My cabs: Track and Field, Mr.Do, Pacmania, Space Ace, Gorf, Jungle King, Astron Belt, Gyruss, OutRun, Frogger, Defender, Return of the Jedi.
pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:20am
Freezing opponents?

What's this sorcery of which you speak?!

Edited by pooman2084 - 23 Oct 2014 at 10:21am
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:06am
Originally posted by pooman2084 pooman2084 wrote:

Freezing opponents?

What's this sorcery of which you speak?!

This is where I found the "sorcery".

Freezing opponents for fun and profit

This video has many examples of the technique - First use is at 2 mins 20 secs on scene 2.

They pretty much use the trick on almost every extra man gained. 1st time I saw it I was blown away, had no idea you could even do that.

I haven't got using the "sorcery" quite right yet, it's hard to overcome my instinct to never die. Sometimes dieing is to your advantage. It's a hard concept to grasp after playing it straight for all these years, but this is how the huge scores are done.

Cheers
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 9:13am
Hey Guys

Any improvements in Hi-scores yet?

I have been struggling to even get close to my score, my games seem to go wrong at just over 300.000.

I just keep making dumb mistakes

I have moved my Mame pc so I can play standing up - hopefully with more practice I can shake off some of the heavy rust thats still in my head.

Got to make myself practice more and for longer periods - with Arcade games "match fitness" is so important. You can't just play from "cold" and pull off the fast moves / big scores.

I have to bust through the 500,000 barrier again, it's been a very long time since I could score that well. Keep on pushing until the magic happens again.

Onwards!
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:53pm
Got 471,500 scene 33 today - lost 5 men on last 3 scenes - nightmare collapse disaster!

500,000 coming soon

Looking to beat Favouredson, gotta have that Hi Score

Anyone else pushing at their Mr Do PB's?

Cheers
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 11:35am
New PB 502,950 scene 33

Finally cracked the half million - just

And this new Hi Score is dedicated to Jimmer. His Joystick knowledge and advice was a great help - Top Bloke !!!

I recently bought new JLW clone joysticks and Goldleaf buttons from him for my cab.

Wow what a difference a decent joystick makes

Next hurdle - UKVAC Hi Score, I'm coming for you Favouredson

Like growing moss, I will slowly creep up on that score
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:51pm
New Hi Score 557,900 scene 40

Edited to remove picture

Score now beaten

Edited by Kewydee - 10 Jan 2015 at 5:44pm
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:13pm

Edited by Kewydee - 10 Jan 2015 at 5:45pm
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 9:08am
New Hi Score 569,400 scene 37

Scored on Jamma cab with 60 in 1 pcb, default settings.

Making progress, slowly.

Cheers
Thwocker View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thwocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 10:21am
My high score from many moons ago:

Wanted: Universal , Stern, Gottlieb. Looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land, Speed Coin.
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:42pm
Nice score Thwocker!

I see scene 60 - and is that 612,100 ? Huge!

That game isn't finished, you're still playing. What was your score at the end?

And how many years ago? 10? 20? 30?

Do you still play Mr Do ?
Thwocker View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thwocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 10:37pm
This was in 2003 at EuroCon (classic videogame convention) in Karlsruhe Germany. It was a crazy game: it seemed I could just keep on playing, and was racing through the levels. Not bothering with the baddies and bonus items, just clearing up the cherries asap. Hence the relatively low score for the high level number.

I used to play Mr.Do! as a kid all the time, it was located in a cafetaria near my home and I put in every Guilder that I could get my hands on. I haven't played it in a long time, but on the way to me from the US is a dedicated Universal Mr.Do! cabinet. It'll get a nice spot in my gameroom, I hope I can get my kids addicted to it as well (they seem to be more into pins though...)

Cheers,
Marco
Wanted: Universal , Stern, Gottlieb. Looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land, Speed Coin.
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm

Making progress, big jump this time

Scored on 60 in 1 pcb - default settings

Cheers
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:08am
Last nights game was a tease.

Got extra men on scenes 2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 so I was doing well.

Lost 4 men on scene 18, had a brainfart and just fell to pieces.

Instead of re-starting I just played it out.

Ended 642,500 scene 44. 1 more level and I could have beaten my Hi-score

At least I know that 600k+ scores are repeatable now.

Next target - Scene 50

Onwards

Anyone else still playing Mr Do? Whats been happening out in 'Vac-land?
mappy24 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mappy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:18am
I've long given up any hope of improving LOL
pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:21am
I've dusted off Mr. Do! to put an entry on the J+ Hall of Fame but am out of practise and am only scoring just under 300k.
Kewydee View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kewydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:49am
Don't give up Mappy

Keep pushing and you will make a breakthrough.

What do you think is giving you a problem? If I can help you to push your score higher I will.

You have a genuine Mr Do! pcb - you should be kicking it's arse on a regular basis mate.

I may possibly be setting up a twitch stream this year if my computer doesn't melt under the strain.

I find that video of others playing really helped me improve my game, especially that video you linked to.

Study it and try to apply the tactics in them. Not so much the "dieing" tactic - more the way of moving around, the stuttering stop/go movement that turns chasers into diggers. You can get out of tight spots by doing that.

And don't give up hope, you made a huge score increase just after I posted my 1st set of tips

Onwards!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:00pm

Go for it Pete... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic