ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Ms pacman repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ms pacman repair
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Got Shuns Ms pacman board today from this thread:

Reseated some roms and piggybacked some 2114s also replaced two 2114s that were already in sockets and after a bit more timkering got this:

It reboots straght away but it's progress.
looks like I'm going to have to replace at least 1 2114 and maybe more.will see how it goes.

You rang......?
Shun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Wow! Thats is fast progress. I only dropped it off a couple of hours ago. :)
Its doesn't look far off from working. Impressive!
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:45pm
It almost is now.Following something I saw when looking for info about the board I noticed in a picture that roms 5 and 6 were in reverse order as compared to your board so I swapped them and the game now boots and runs.
I just can't add credits so I can't test sound or input.
That might be down to the adaptor (I'm using the one from my crazy kong and only checked power and video out was correct) or another fault.
Will have another look tomorrow.
You rang......?
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:20pm
Try shorting out the credit (pin J or 8) and ground pins (edge pins) directly on the PCB with a jumper wire.

You won't need the conversion harness for that. Then you'll know if it's the wiring on the harness or a board fault.

Nice going so far!
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:39pm
Checked your voltages, I assume? Tongue
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:19pm
Good work
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:27am
Originally posted by jonhughes jonhughes wrote:

Try shorting out the credit (pin J or 8) and ground pins (edge pins) directly on the PCB with a jumper wire.

You won't need the conversion harness for that. Then you'll know if it's the wiring on the harness or a board fault.

Nice going so far!

That's what I'm planning on doing-have just checked and it is the adaptor having different connections for the credit/control so hopefully it will coin up.
It's just damn work getting in the way-I hate these early shifts as I have to get to bed really early and it stopped me having fun fixing this board.
You rang......?
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:39am
Good work so far Glen
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:56pm
It was just coin up thats different so started a game and played a few levels.
Everything fine exept sound is a little crackly and volume seems way too high-I had to turn it almost all the way down to stop it being too loud.Will look at that next.

@hurray banana:Stop giving away my secret identity.Tongue

Edited by Lurch666 - 24 May 2018 at 3:57pm
You rang......?
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Hi Glen, most Pac man boards are set so the pot only needs a small adjustment or it gets extremely loud - I don't think it's a fault. The pot has plenty of travel left in it at the right volume - if you set it half way that would be speaker busting loud. The crackle may be caps or a result of the volume being turned too high.
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:36pm
Thanks for that dude.Will just change the caps for now and see how it sounds.Definitely got some hum going but it's not so noticeable in game.
You rang......?
Shun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:58pm
Fantastic work! Its been sitting on a shelf for 3 years in my garage doing nothing and now within 24 hours you've brought it back to life :)
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:04pm
That's the beauty of this.
Those that don't have the time or knowledge can let me try and fix their boards so they get a working board and I get more experience and get to see a garbage screen turn into a booting game (that bit never gets old).
You rang......?
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:59pm
re capped.sounds better but the hiss is still there though not as bad but that can be normal for these boards.
If you are happy with it in this state you can have it back Shun or I could try and reduce the hum.
You rang......?
Shun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:00pm
Thanks. I've sent you a PM.

Edited by Shun - 26 May 2018 at 7:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic