Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

My first eprom programmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiels20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first eprom programmer
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:02am
Hi guys going to take the leap and get myself an eprom programmer. This will be my first and im not really sure what I should be looking for. I cant say im going to be doing any serious board repair with it I usually just pick up the odd bootleg and original but I want to just verify eproms and maybe check any ttl that I remove to check. I know they dont all do some chips but again I cant say im going to get too serious yet so im.looking for something thats going to start me off. Any ideas guys or has anyone got owt laying about that could be ideal thanks guys for any help
davey d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:13am
I picked up one of these with the adaptor board

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01212KD74/

Ive programmed a multi bios for my Naomi, and STV motherboards
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:22am
I use the MiniPro TL866cs and haven't had any problems. Some say it's a little under powered for some chips but i think it's a good (and cheap) entry into IC programming.

MiniPro TL866CS
JonathanClayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanClayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:30am
I’ve been contemplating this for a little while, but as all of my stuff is older Nintendo, I understand I need a burner that can supply atleast 25v...
Current cabs:
Mini Donkey Kong (Arcade Base 60-in-1)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Donkey Kong 3
HeliFire Cocktail
Popeye Cocktail (In transit)
Space Fever B&W Cocktail
-------
mynintendoarcade.com
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:36am
I've burned to 2716s before on the MiniPro but it is a little under powered for the older stuff. Good for reading a verifying though. I'm on my one noe burning Chase HQ. Eproms
bones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 3:13pm
My mate burnt me a new vs super mario EPROM on a wellend 280 I think,he said it did 99% of stuff
johnrt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by JonathanClayton JonathanClayton wrote:

I’ve been contemplating this for a little while, but as all of my stuff is older Nintendo, I understand I need a burner that can supply atleast 25v...
The minipro does not support 2532 EPROMS (used on several Nintendo PCBs). I use a GQ-4X V4 for those. Otherwise I haven't had a single problem with the minipro programmer.
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:16pm
I've got a gq-4x and a minipro 866cs and between them they cover everything I want to burn.

Gq-4x can't program zero pic chips for Naomi - I have to use the 866cs for them.

I also have a dataman S4 but haven't used it in over a year.....
jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

Gq-4x can't program zero pic chips for Naomi - I have to use the 866cs for them.

Interesting - was wondering why I was having 'issues'! That said, I did appear to get it to burn and verify, will let you know if it works once I've tested it...

Edited by jinq-sea - 12 Jun 2018 at 5:55pm
kiels20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiels20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:29am
Yay ended up getting myself one of these.

What do people think for a fist programmer. Any good ?
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:52am
A very nice first programmer, it's only really lacking in 40/42pin eprom support. It looks like it'll do all the other common eproms along with pals, gals peels and you can even test 6116 rams.

My first programmer was a bit of batronix crap that supported hardly anything used jumpers to select the eprom type had awful software that required a serial number and broke after a couple of years. LOL
alfa75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfa75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:02pm
My first programmer is (I'm still using it) a Xeltek Superpro 610P and I love that thing. Is not really cheap to buy, but the handling and the supported eproms are insane.
yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

My first programmer was a bit of batronix crap that supported hardly anything used jumpers to select the eprom type had awful software that required a serial number and broke after a couple of years. LOL
I've got one of those!

But I've also got a Data IO 29B.... since I only ever work on late 70s/early 80s stuff it's perfect for what I need. And does a good variety of PROMs as well.
kiels20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiels20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:10am
This may be a silly question but not really big on computers I know the basics really. But my programmer is saying that the newest windows it can run on is windows xp. Thats not a problem I can pick a pc up cheap enough but is there anyway I can run it on something newer. I have a pc running windows 7 but I thought there might be some sort or program I can use to make it think its xp please forgive me if im wrong. Any advice would be greatly appriciated thanks again guys cant wait to get using it
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:23am
You might be able to run xp in a vm (virtual machine) but it depends how the vm software handles the parallel port if it will work or not.

Does your programmer have dos software available for it? I use a freedos usb thumb drive on my modern pc to boot into dos and that's how I use my very old serial programmer without the need for another pc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic