ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Namco Custom Chips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Namco Custom Chips
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:13pm
This is what arcade collecting is to me - getting things going. This might not be the prettiest result but it gets things working. I'm sure there are scores of people who would have binned these chips but I'll share my fix technique.

Acquired a Namco PCB and the corrosion has hit the customs, some worse than others. The chips are made from a particular metallic. I think this particular metal is sacrificial to the other metal on the PCB and so it attracts corrosion to it from the rest of the board and corrodes at a faster rate.

It's not looking great but it's not the end for it. I don't know if the chip is going to work but I'm investing time in it to see if it does. I could always bin it and buy one of the repro ones but they're getting pricey with postage and import duty.

Dremel out holes on both sides to expose the metal from beneath the casing.

Prime each exposed metal piece with solder.

Take a pin from another dead chip. Prime the back of the pin with solder. Place the chip in the zif socket and offer up the pin to the chip and solder the pin and chip together. Both parts are clamped in placed during the process making it way easier to solder them together.

Now quite firmly attached.

Repeat all down one side.

Repeat down the other side.

I usually then place the chip into a standard socket. Although the legs are attached they're usually not always in alignment and if I need to alter things it's easier to remove in and out of the board like this.

Install it in my PCB.

It's happily running in the board - took me a shade over an hour to complete the whole process. This was an extreme case but it gives you an idea of what to do if you have one or more legs missing from the chip.
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:20pm
That is ace!
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:38pm
Nice fix Jon, but i usually solder the chip with snapped legs onto a turned pin socket so it is easily removed from the PCB socket. I use kynar wire to solder from the chip to the turned pin socket.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:31pm
Prosthetic legs for chips
Great work
Looking for More Space!!
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Call me jamma jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:33pm
Brilliant work and a well deserved result.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

Nice fix Jon, but i usually solder the chip with snapped legs onto a turned pin socket so it is easily removed from the PCB socket. I use kynar wire to solder from the chip to the turned pin socket.

Yes Nad, I can see how that would work and it could well be a bit faster than my way. If you're only missing the odd leg I'd go for the leg attachments. If I was faced with something like this again I'd go turned pin also.

I've got a CUS 32 with about 5 legs attached. I might have a go at that at some point.

Thanks for the comments - I hope it helps someone fix a chip someday.
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:12pm
Fantastic !
Out if room but always room for one more !
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:15pm
Great fixing Jon
ColinD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:22pm
Nice work.. Those Namco chips are b@stards !
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:25pm
Good work; pretty inspirational with the Dremel!
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:33am
great fix love learning clever ways round problems like this
were meeting g over there
ricky2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricky2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
Great Fix and thanks for sharing.

Ricky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic