Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Native resolution - cRt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Native resolution - cRt
    Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:02pm
Hi guys... I have been retro gaming for last 5 years and been on voyage to bring back the memory's of my local arcade as a kid! During this time I have toyed with supergun, retro consoles, mame using vga moniors Rgb scart tv's, Sony pvm / bvm monitors and xrgb scaler... But I still can't get the perfect picture! (Not like I rember it when I was a kid) I am running everything at native resolutions via rgb.. Just can't get the colours or sharpness bang on! Bvm appears to be good but too sharp to use in my arcade cab... And scanlines are massive! I wondering if anybody can offer some advice on switching to a arcade monitor for my mame / supergun rig.. And if the switch to arcade monitor is worth it? Ie. Picture quality, cost and how reliable will these old monitors be! Thanks guys!

Edited by Ravi_s - 31 Jan 2017 at 6:20pm
joe34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:39pm
could you adjust the focus a bit on the bvm so it is not such as sharp picture?
vectrex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:40pm
My advice: Buy a Taito Egret 2 or a Sega (New) Astro City. They come with a Nanao MS8/9 - one of the best low-res-monitors I've ever seen. Usually they are also very reliable.

Then get a MiniKAB 2 from Richard (2huwman) and enjoy Smile

Edited by vectrex - 31 Jan 2017 at 8:25pm
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:49pm
Hi guys thanks for the kind replies! I could try adjusting the sharpness pot from inside the monitor but I did not want to mess around .. As the pot is awkward position. The chances are the end result would still not be ideal compared to arcade monitor. Not after astro cab.. Would be a ball ache to get into the house plus already got a cab... Guess I need to get a big arcade monitor that displays very good quality picture at low resolutions.

Edited by Ravi_s - 31 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:52pm
What's a MiniKAB 2 lol!
vectrex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:25pm
joe34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Ravi_s Ravi_s wrote:

... Guess I need to get a big arcade monitor that displays very good quality picture at low resolutions.
do you sit/stand quite close to the screen when you play games?  if so you might find a 25" monitor is a bit big, and a standard 19"/20" would be better.   plus, with larger monitors it can make the gfx seem more blocky due to them being displayed larger (unless you sit back far enough from the screen)
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:52pm
Cheers vectrex...

Edited by Ravi_s - 31 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by joe34 joe34 wrote:

... Guess I need to get a big arcade monitor that displays very good quality picture at low resolutions.

do you sit/stand quite close to the screen when you play games?  if so you might find a 25" monitor is a bit big, and a standard 19"/20" would be better.   plus, with larger monitors it can make the gfx seem more blocky due to them being displayed larger (unless you sit back far enough from the screen)

Hi Joe, yeah I do stand or sit really close to my cab.. I have this issue on my 20 inch Bvm lol! I thought a 25" quality arcade monitor would be resolve all my problems lol! I don't recall having this issue on sf2 arcade or neo geo MVS games many years ago.. I use to play mainly fighting games..
joe34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm

Hi Joe, yeah I do stand or sit really close to my cab.. I have this issue on my 20 inch Bvm lol! I thought a 25" quality arcade monitor would be resolve all my problems lol! I don't recall having this issue on sf2 arcade or neo geo MVS games many years ago.. I use to play mainly fighting games..

you certainly might prefer an arcade monitor as the picture wont be as sharp as a sony monitor.  i would have thought 19"/20" will be just fine for you
(or even 14" if you want the gfx to look less blockier) Smile
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:29pm
Well I got a 6inch pvm and 9 inch bvm connected via BNC rgb cables.. Both mame and Neo Geo MVS are pucker on these monitors.. Too small for my cab duo lol!

Edited by Ravi_s - 31 Jan 2017 at 9:30pm
Monstermug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:21pm
Amiga monitors are pretty decent if you don't like the pronounced scan lines
Ravi_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravi_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

Amiga monitors are pretty decent if you don't like the pronounced scan lines

Hi mate, thanks for your reply. Are Amiga monitors really that good? Last thing I need is another monitor lol( my loft is full of CRT TV,s and Sony bvm/pvm's) Are these monitors only 14 inch? How does the picture compare to arcade monitors? Cheers
Monstermug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 1:26pm
They are normally 14" although you can get some 13" models.  if you are looking for a arcade monitor look you might be better off with a 19" + consumer tv set with about 600 tv lines or less, that has a rgb scart connector on it.  Only reason I recommended an amiga monitor was because it has a sharp picture but without the prominent scanlines.  Having said this, all arcade monitors look differently as well so it's really hard to answer your question.

Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm
What you might want is something like one of these http://www.ukvac.com/forum/sold-hantarex-28-quad-standard-monitor_topic352426.html
uses the same tube as an arcade monitor, with the convenience of a case and scart socket
not too sharp and most likely was used in at least some the games you remember from the past.
I've long since sold this but they do some up from time to time
Looking for More Space!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic