Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Neo Geo AES - Unibios Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazzzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neo Geo AES - Unibios Install
    Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:30pm
Well my AES console turned up the other day and got around to turning it on Saturday morning, had a quick play on a couple of games and turned it off, went about my day, went out at night, got hammered and woke up sunday with a world class hangover, decided i wanted to do a bit of tinkering and thought i would install a unibios in my new AES console (its been played for 15 minutes, why not!)

being my first AES console i didnt know what to expect when i opened it and was not happy when i saw that the bios is not socketed (only ever dealing with MVS before i am used to most Bios' being socketed)

I looked at the different options available:

1) Remove the Original bios completely and solder a new chip straight in
2) Remove the Original bios completely and install a socket for holding the new unibios
3) Install a new socket over the original chip and piggyback the new unibios
4) Piggyback a unibios chip directly over the original SNK bios

Well option 2 + 3 were straight out, i didnt have a socket :(

Option 1 would be nice and could be quite professional looking but not as useful as options 2 or 3 as they would allow me to update the bios in the future, but lazyness prevailed and option 4 was the quickest and most simple mod (in my opinion, other opinions are available!) so it was quickly chosen

Right then i set about getting what I needed:

Solder
Flux
Wire (small piece, i used Kynar but you can use any)
15k 1/4w Resistor
Unibios chip

Warning!
Please note that I absolutely suck at soldering, i know this and you will soon know this!

Instructions:

1) Turn AES Console Upside down

2) Remove the 2 Screws that are visible

3) Remove the sticky feet on the top left, top right and bottom right and remove the screws

4) Locate the original Bios chip

5) Cut Pin 2 of the original bios

6) Lift Pin 2 of the unibios and place over the top of the original bios

7) Solder the 39 remaining legs of the unibios to the legs of the original bios - gently apply some solder at the bottom and drag your iron to the top

8) Solder a wire from pin 2 of the unibios (top chip) to Leg 20 

9) Solder the resistor from pin 2 of the original bios to Leg 40

10) Reassemble console and test it works

Phew! - it worked, the game booted up perfectly, get in!
turned it off and changed the game, turned it back on and........i got a load of garbled graphics, the usual type of thing i have seen when working on MVS boards that have got issues!
so swapped back to the game that worked previously and it did the same with the garbled graphics - hmmmm

so i went back and tested each leg with my continuity tester, a few of them were not showing a good connection so i went back and re-soldered those legs, re-checked with my tester and they were all showing ok, turned it on and it was working properly, swapped to a few different carts and all was working great!

a job well done!

Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.
Monkeykong1 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeykong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:03pm
Well done, always scared of doing this hungover or not. Its a pricey bit of kit. The Mvs boards are so easy in comparison.
Dazzzzz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazzzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Monkeykong1 Monkeykong1 wrote:

Well done, always scared of doing this hungover or not. Its a pricey bit of kit. The Mvs boards are so easy in comparison.

Cheers mate, yeah its always a bit of a risk when doing a mod to an expensive console but sometimes you just gotta go for it and hope for the best
Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.
silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 11:30am
I seen this done by MMMonkey, I normally desolder the original chip

but if you was to do that I would have at least soldered a socket to the original

Dazzzzz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazzzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

I seen this done by MMMonkey, I normally desolder the original chip

but if you was to do that I would have at least soldered a socket to the original

fair point and i do agree however

Originally posted by Dazzzzz Dazzzzz wrote:

Well option 2 + 3 were straight out, i didnt have a socket :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic