ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New Astro City Overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bulla View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Astro City Overhaul
    Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 9:43am
I'm about to embark on an overhaul of a NAC in need of some love. 

Bodywork repairs are in hand but I'd love any pointers on sourcing original (Where possible) or decent repro replacement parts for buttons, sticks, stickers, etc.

I've got the links that Astro1 has kindly provided on the New Astro City for sale thread but all others welcome. Has anyone else restored An Astro or New Astro ?

I would have searched the forum but search seems broken at the moment.

Thanks

Edited by Bulla - 06 Jan 2018 at 10:11am
swisstoni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swisstoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 11:44am
Check out an aussie guy on a youtube channel called Theatre of Magic he did three videos on an Astro City restore some useful info on those videos re wiring, dismantling etc.
Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:05pm
Thanks swisstoni just what I was after, 

Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
She lives ! Well temporarily before I strip her apart.

Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:41pm
I assume this coin mech is DOA ? Doesn't seem to be any wiring or switches. 

No matter if it is, I was going to wire a switch under the coin slot anyway.

Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:57pm
Control panel will be replaced with either NOS if I can find a decent one at a reasonable price, or a repro with new graphics.

Has anyone ever had a repro panel from Atomic City ? 50 euros for a panel and overlay

Thanks to Andy at Arcade World for the Seimitsu goodies now waiting to go in the panel.

I'm contemplating wiring all of these to 2.8mm spades and having male spades off of the existing harness so I can easily swap out the panel for a one player version. Has anyone done anything similar ? I figure crimping spade terminals will be easier than trying to source and wire another set of 12 pin AMP adapters ?

Edited by Bulla - 13 Jan 2018 at 5:22pm
Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:17pm
This restore thread has been surpassed by those of Retrob and Nik73 but they've served as inspiration to get my ass in gear so I'll carry on documenting what I've done with mine. 

Although stored in the garage the weather has been too cold for a southern fairy like me and I've only just felt like cracking on.

I've always wanted two cabs, horizontal and vertical and after going back and forth with Alpha1 I finally bit the bullet and nabbed non working NAC10 to go with NAC1 above. 

Martin (the brilliant delivery man) arrived with NAC10 and even offered to reverse the van up to the garage when the wife spotted the second cab arriving ! Sadly it was too late by then and after he'd gone I had to face the music and explain myself Embarrassed It's non working, it was a bargain etc etc

NAC1 is a bit tatty but I decided that once I sorted out the new control panel I'd leave that alone as a running cab until I've finished with NAC10.

Here are my two beauties ready for some love

NAC10 Refurb

After drilling the locks out I was able to get a good look inside and although extremely grubby the wiring didnt look too bad. This was sold as a non runner so first things first was to whip the panel off the back and have a nose at the monitor. 

The first thing that leapt out was the Sync wire hanging loose in the back, couldn't be that easy could it ? I plugged it back in and crossed everything. 

She lives !

After some great advice from gunblade I realised I had the jumper set to 25Khz and the Screen Volts was set way too high. After some twiddling, much better.

Now as other threads have already shown these cabs are filthy inside so a good wash is a must. I wasnt looking forward to dismantling but it really is simple. The only thing I did make sure of was that I had the right JIS size 2 bit for the screws. Armed with that and my trusty impact driver it was a doddle. 

30 years of Arcade Fag Muck

I gave them a good scrubbing with some fairy, hosed them down and you could eat your din dons off them now !

Now the next job I thought long and hard about. Like most people I was in disbelief when I saw others washing monitors, but after lots of reading I decided to go for it. The decision was made easier by the absolutely disgusting chassis and neck as below

I made up a hot water and fairy solution and completely dowsed everything in it. I left it a few minutes and then worked it all over with a soft paint brush. Hose out on a light spray to get everything off and then blew off the standing water. Luckily the bank holiday has been a scorcher so I left it in the sun all day to dry out. 

The results are amazing !

The proof will be in the pudding when I try and turn it back on, but its out in the sun again today for a final bake before I do that.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend who works in a bodyshop so while the cabinet is in bits it will be off with him for a new coat of paint. 

In the meantime my repro 2L12B panel from Alberto over at ArcadeOtaku arrived. Unfortunately the lovely customs folks misread the USD$ he'd written as 450$ and so about £80 in customs fees later it arrived (ouch)

The quality of this panel is fantastic although for purists there are a couple of things I've noticed. Firstly the colour doesn't compare to an original. 

While the original is more silver, this is definitely more grey in comparison. Its subtle, but a trained eye will notice. Also the "Power Control System" is centered to the middle on this repro where as I think all originals (Correct me if I'm wrong) they are centered to the outside. Not sure if this is on purpose or not but it doesnt bother me, I'm just pleased to get rid of the rusted original. If a NOS panel ever shows up at a reasonable price I may swap it out.

So that's progress so far. I'm hoping within a week or two to have a fully wired control panel.  Thanks to Andy at Arcadeworld I've got a set of Sanwa JLF's for the Horizontal cab and some Seimitsu LS32's for the vertical.

By the time I've wired that lot I should have the resprayed parts back to start putting things back together. 

neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:27pm
Nice thread. I know others are doing the same, but I love reading these and maybe one day I may take my trusted NAC to pieces and follow in these well trodden footsteps..
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

Nice thread. I know others are doing the same, but I love reading these and maybe one day I may take my trusted NAC to pieces and follow in these well trodden footsteps..

Just been reading your blog Neil, cant believe I've missed it until now !

Out of interest where did you get all your wire and crimps for redoing your control panel ? I'm going to do similar once I've bought a crimp tool.

retrob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:42pm
Nice work Paul Thumbs Up .   Will be keeping a close eye on this thread. You'll have to let us know what shade your friend resprays it.  And are you getting the speaker surrounds and CP's sprayed too or are you going to leave them or give Retr0brite a try on them ?
Wanted:
Burn Free A68KJU96X (Toshiba) Tube with or without MS9-29__ chassis
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Bulla - I'll drop you a message later tonight, pal.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
Bulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by retrob retrob wrote:

Nice work Paul Thumbs Up .   Will be keeping a close eye on this thread. You'll have to let us know what shade your friend resprays it.  And are you getting the speaker surrounds and CP's sprayed too or are you going to leave them or give Retr0brite a try on them ?

Yes going to do the lot, one control panel has tipex style paint job on already so that needs to come off !

I'm hoping they'll be as mint as yours Rob !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic