ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New Astro City Tart Up & Useful Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
davey d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:22pm
I've used RAL9002 on 4 cabinets now and always thought it was a really good match against the original machines which are over 20 years old
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:44am
You've got to figure that after all these years they are all slightly different whites depending on what conditions they have been in.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:38pm
So I sprayed the speaker surround today and really happy with the results. Firstly, because it the first time I've sprayed anything that I wanted to be presentable and it turned out well in the end with a nice smooth finish. I did make a couple of mistakes, but easily sorted with some 600 grit sandpaper and built it up in thin layers. 
I know most will know this, but if anyone else is a rookie at quality spray painting like, then the biggest things are:
1) Several thin coats
2) Keep the can a decent distance away (20-30cm)
3) Keep the can moving
Whenever I didn't do this I ended up with ever so slight runs that needed sanding out. After the second coat on one side, I'd got the hang of it though.

Secondly, because the colour match has turned out a lot better than I expected. I have to thank Zippy, because when you put something like a piece of paper next to the cab you realise it isn't bright white, Saying that, it does more in bright daylight. The difference in differing light is dramatic.
Here's the newly sprayed surround (taken tonight).

And here's what I wanted to mention next, the monitor surround. (taken this afternoon)

They look like totally different colours, but are actually really, really close. The bottom of the speaker surround even looks whiter than the rest, but think that's just because it's light from another room on that side. The whole thing looks a bit yellow, but it's nowhere near.

Anyway, the reason why I want the paint to be such a good match is because I want to use it on the bottom of the monitor surround and (maybe) the control panel surround and also touch up some of the bigger marks on the body.
The bottom of the monitor surround is covered in cigarette burn marks all the way across, but it also looks like someone has applied some paint already and done it with a mop! I don't want to do the whole monitor surround as the sides are good, but the top has some big wear marks that I want to sort while I'm at it.

After today's promising results, I'll probably go ahead and do the bottom first as the colours are close enough and it'll be an improvement over how it is now.. Although the pain is gloss, it's not as shiny as the original paint, so think it might need a clear coat to finish.

If anyone's interested, this is the paint I bought.

I also picked up some T-Cut today to have a go at the doors on the front. Also ordered a new 100yen sticker from Olly's Arcade Art Shop. The original was a real pain to get out. Tried a heat gun to loosen it, but ended up having to cut it down the middle and peel it from the inside out. Unfortunately I slipped with the stanley knife and put a slice the surrounding plastic, but there's a few others so no biggie.  

Getting there now though and the only thing that's going to hold me up is the sponge tape I ordered to redo the monitor surround (bottom where it connects with the CPO and the rear that makes contact with the screen), speaker surround and bezel. Fingers crossed it comes this week.

Edited by Nik73 - 27 Feb 2018 at 7:22am
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:08pm
Coming on now pal. Nice spray paint too, after all those doubts it looks pretty good to me. The shade can alter drastically in natural light.
Just need to wait for that 'song' tape to arrive and you'll be dancing!

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:55pm
So you went with the ral 9002 paint? I'm currently taking mine apart ready for a much needed respray..!
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

Coming on now pal. Nice spray paint too, after all those doubts it looks pretty good to me. The shade can alter drastically in natural light.
Just need to wait for that 'song' tape to arrive and you'll be dancing!

Yes, song tape. That’s exactly what I meant, not a stupid auto correct.
Thought it would be a waste not to use that figure 8 lead, so plan on fitting a tape recorder to play the music for some games, like Journey or Out Run on the Spectrum.
Edited.
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by itruk itruk wrote:

So you went with the ral 9002 paint? I'm currently taking mine apart ready for a much needed respray..!

Yeah, the stuff I linked to in the last post. Paints4u seemed to get good reviews for matching, so went with them.
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
Thanks, I'll get some along with some plastic primer.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:16am
Ahhh, 'sponge' tape.....

Edited by neil1637 - 27 Feb 2018 at 8:17am
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:46pm
Quick question, has anyone used clear coat spray on one of these, or anything for that matter?
The main body, being fibreglass, has gelcoat on it so I’m wondering if the clear coat spray will give that nice shiny finish? In theory it should, but the spray is supposed to be gloss as well, but is more like semi-gloss. Cheers in advance.
hungar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hungar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 1:09pm
Nice work! I got my Astro a few years ago now and I've still yet to strip it and give it a deep clean, it's not to bad though. Have to say the main thing putting me off is de-charging the CRT, so fair play.

You mentioned the back of the monitor being covered in a black substance...I thought that was some sort of special coating?
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by hungar hungar wrote:

Nice work! I got my Astro a few years ago now and I've still yet to strip it and give it a deep clean, it's not to bad though. Have to say the main thing putting me off is de-charging the CRT, so fair play.

You mentioned the back of the monitor being covered in a black substance...I thought that was some sort of special coating?

Yeah, it's aqualag. Mine was completely black and it was hard to tell what was dirt and what was the aqualag. I asked about it in this thread.

Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 4:13pm
Another day of firsts. I finally got round to doing another job that I'd put off for so long, I'd almost forgotten about it. Fixing the cracks in the area below the control panel. I forgot to take any pictures before I started, but you can see it in one of Olly's pictures from the for sale thread. The right side was badly cracked right to the bottom and the left about half way down.

Using the stuff was pretty straight forward, but I put slightly less hardener in that it recommended and it still set pretty quickly, so you can't hang around once it's mixed. I went a bit daft and put a few layers on the right side, which is why it looks a bit scruffy. It recommended giving at least 20mm either side of the crack and even though I made it 30mm, I'm wondering if I should have gone more, but wanted to keep it relatively tidy. It seems to be set now and is ridiculously hard, so should have done the trick. I'll give it a quick sand tomorrow to smooth things out and cut away the excess on the top.

The hardest part was holding the two sides of the crack together and keeping them level at the same time, so it needed pressure from both sides. I tried bungee cords, then ratchet straps, but it wasn't enough pressure. Ideally it needs one of those long clamps, but I don't have one and didn't want to splash out on one for this one job. In the end I used a speaker stand to lift that side of the cab up from the front (wedging the other side underneath) and it worked a treat. I also found that one of the locks I'd removed was the perfect length get some pressure from the inside to keep the two sides level.

I think I'm getting near the point where I can start putting things back together. Still need to spray the control panel surround and sort out both bottom of the monitor surround, but they'd go on last anyway. The marks on the body can be done when it's together and I still haven't figured out exactly what I'll do with them.

Edited by Nik73 - 28 Feb 2018 at 8:29pm
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:03pm
Peaks and troughs today. I really thought I was getting close to putting everything together again, but sadly not. First the positives. The sponge tape came today and is just the job. It was pretty cheap from a Hong Kong seller on Amazon, so thought it might be crap lose its stickiness quickly. Obviously it's only been a day, but the stuff is like fly paper and sticks like glue. 

I got three different lots. From left to right.

12mm wide and 2mm deep for the speaker surround and marquee.

10mm wide and 3mm deep for the monitor surround.

10mm wide and 2mm thick double sided to replace all the adhesive pads on the numerous cable tidy tags.

I sprayed the CPO today and really happy with the results. Now the slight hitch. As you know, it turned out the plastic RAL 9002 paint I got was a good colour match, but didn't have the really glossy finish I was after and had an ever so slight rough texture to the finish. I hope putting a clear spray on top would sort this and, after some test, was pretty confident. I did the whole speaker surround this afternoon and sadly it isn't as clear as advertised and darkens the colour quite a bit. Hmmmmm. Not good.
So I'm thinking two different options. First is sanding the speaker surround and CPO with really fine sandpaper and then polishing it with T-Cut. Second, and probably the better option is to go with some car RAL 9002 paint to get that nice glossy finish. Probably going to have to do this for the marks on the body and monitor surround.
Either way, the work I've done so far isn't a total right off. Good prep and it would only need a couple more coats.

I also sanded the bottom of the monitor surround and now realise why they went with the mop applied paint. Stern Smile

Ouch! Looks like there was no ashtrays anywhere near this bad boy. Anyway, nicely sanded down and ready for a proper, or at least better, paint job. I think the spray I've got would be ok in terms of colour matching for this, but not the finish. Managed to get away without using primer so far as I've only been topping up, but this will need it.

At lunchtime I thought I was going to get it put back together in the next couple of days, but if a jobs worth doing and all that. 
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:29pm
Just to say thanks for documenting all this. You are bookmarked many times over, I'm sure! Thumbs Up

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:06am
Thanks pal. I've got a lot from this forum and it took me ages to find all the info scattered around, so hopefully people who were in my boat, or anyone looking at restoring one of these, will find it helpful. I've learned loads as I've gone on as well, going from knowing nothing about maintaining and doing up a cab. Always looked for cabs that needed no work, but this has definitely given me the confidence to tackle those that would need some.
davey d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 9:12am
The finish of the paint could be down to your technique of spraying it. If you are just doing lots of light dusting over coats then it can lead to a duller mat textured finish. Your final coat really need to be a "Wet coat" which just means laying the paint on heavier so that it all looks wet and glossy. You really need a warm dry environment though to minimise the chance if runs/sags in the paint.
I ended up taking my front panel/speaker panel to a car bodyshop for painting. Yes it cost a lot more than doing it myself, but the finish, and colour are top notch
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:49am
And if you're painting in a cool environment then the paint tends to dry with a dull finish.
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:26pm
Thanks for that gents. I'd actually done a bit of research last night on some car forums and it seems it's always best to use a clear coat to get the glossy finish. As Davey says though, you have to be a lot braver to get the glossy finish. Basically ignore the guidance on the can and get a lot closer and slap it on nice and thick. Apparently you're trying to get right to the point where it's about to run. Another tip this time of year is put the can on the radiator for a short time to warm it up.

Before I get to how it turned out, this is the stuff you absolutely do NOT want to get as it yellows in patches.

While i'm on negatives, I took one for the team today and picked up some VW/Audi candy white while I was at Halfords. It's absolutely nowhere near a colour match, way too grey, so avoid that one. Put me back a bit as I had to sand it off and redo the RAL 9002.
I was at Halfords to pick some of this clear coat up and plastic primer.

With hindsight, I should have done the speaker surround first as any runs wouldn't have been as noticeable, but I'd had to do some respraying on that and sand the crap clear coat off and the CPO was ready to go. Used some 1200 grit sandpaper to get things nice and smooth first.
Anyway, I've done a couple of coats and really happy with the results. Inevitably there's been a couple of runs, so will have redo a couple of patches, but know what I'm doing now (he says), so hopefully win't happen when I do the speaker surround.
Ignore the colour of it in this photo, just the crap light. The clear coat has had the nice side effect of making the paint look a tad whiter, so an even better match.

Bit of a run on the the bottom of this side to sort.

Big relief to be honest and might be able to sort the bigger marks on the rest of the cab using what i've got.

Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:19pm
Broke the golden rule tonight and rushed it. Wanted to get the speaker surround done so I could get spraying the monitor surround tomorrow. Ended up with a slight disaster and take 3 on the speaker surround. Apparently caused by putting it on too thick too soon. Was too busy thinking about getting it done so I could have a beer and play on my other cab.
Not the end of the world, but lesson learned.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic