ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New Astro City Tart Up & Useful Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:10pm
Yeah you seem to be blasting thru this at a rate of knots!
Maybe take a deep breath in between jobs Wink

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
Exactly what I need to do Flinnster! I'm generally not a very patient person and people on here have done some amazing projects that I'm always impressed by and would love to do, but know I don't have the patience. 
To be honest, I'm amazed I've it's taken this long for an impatience influenced clanger with this. For me, I've been amazingly disciplined with all of this to get it right, but some impatience kicked in yesterday. Really wanted to get all the painting done before I go back to work, but lesson learned. It took all afternoon to get the clear coat off and some primer on, but did prime the bottom of the monitor surround while I was at it.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:05am
It's OK, you can come round and do all my unfinished jobs if taking a breather doesn't suit! TongueLOL

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm
I mentioned at this start of this project that I'd decided not to do a full restore on this. The main reason for this was that I had no experience in any of the skills needed and, consequently, no confidence to do it. A small part of it was a lack of patience as well.

With what I've done so far on this cab, I've learned loads, not least being able to use spray paint to a decent standard. I decided on Sunday that I wasn't going to keep going down the colour match rabbit hole. I'm happy enough using the RAL 9002 paint on the CPO and speaker surround as it was close enough, but the problem came with the large areas where the finish was worn down to the black fibreglass (or whatever it is).

Originally posted by strykr strykr wrote:

You've got to figure that after all these years they are all slightly different whites depending on what conditions they have been in.

I now realise that strykr is absolutely right. When I looked closely at mine, even after giving it a really good clean, I noticed that there's so much variation in the colour of it all over. Some parts are whiter and some are yellower, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out that colour matching different sections would be nigh on impossible. I've tried all the colours that people have recommended and none are a good enough match for my cab.
To be honest, this realisation was a real downer on Sunday and I started to think I wish I hadn't bothered or just left it as it was with all the marks, discolouring, etc. I'm sure some people have wondered why I just didn't do this from the start, but after giving it some thought and some test spraying, I decided that I was going to go the whole hog and respray the whole cab. I know it's a controversial decision for some, but here's my reasoning if anyone's interested.

1) The main reason is the whole colour match thing I mentioned above. There are a lot of big scuffs and marks that I can't leave and also quite a few examples of a previous tart up attempt, i.e. the mop applied paint at the bottom of the monitor surround, areas on the sides that look like they were covered with Tip-Ex, the front under the CPO where it looks like a small child has gone daft with a spray can etc, etc, etc.

2) I've done a lot already to make parts look nice and minty, so why not do the rest? Doing this, I'll be able to get rid of the cracks on the outside and every other mark, plus it'll all be the same colour and looking like new!

3) I'm trying not to look at the money I've already spent on paint and varnish and the repeated sanding and respraying as a waste of money, but rather than valuable experience and developing my spraying and sanding skills. Honestly it has. Like I said, I would never have had the confidence to do such a big spray job before all this, but am quite happy now.
I bought some Rustoleum Painters Touch gloss white and it's great stuff. It goes on really nicely with hardly any over spray that every other can I've tried has. Using them and there'd be a massive cloud of paint dust in the air, but there's hardly any with this stuff. Plus to dries to a nice, glossy finish without any polishing, so will looks aces with a bit of a rub. The only downside I've found is that it takes longer to dry, but worth it for me.

So there we have it. Feel a lot better now I've made the decision. 
I'll be getting some filler to cover the cracks and worst of the scuffs (yep, they're that bad) and then some good prep time to put in giving everything a light sanding. Finally, take my time and build up coats of the paint with some sanding before the last coat and then some rubbing and polishing. This has produced some great results on the small sections I've tested it on, so happy to crack on with the whole thing.
It's going to take a while as I'm back at work with some long shifts and want to to do it in daylight, so will be a weekend only job. On the positive side, everything else is pretty much done so after this it's the fun part of putting it all back together and playing it. I'll get plenty of photos to show the before and after of the worst bits.

Edited by Nik73 - 06 Mar 2018 at 8:36pm
Bulla View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:46pm
Sounds like a plan to me Nik and will look mint when finished. 

I don't see how anyone could object to bringing a battered Fibreglass Candy back up to standard with a full spray. Like you say the panels are all different shades anyway !

Good luck, look forward to seeing progress.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:50pm
Sounds like you have a plan, pal. All you need now is a pop up spray tan tent....
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:24pm
if you want minty then its the only way really....

Have you thought of getting it powdercoated? would be the best finish, and after you factor in all the cans of paint and your time it might work out similar. ive seen some very skilled spray jobs, but powdercoating is always better. 

If you spray it yourself Just dont spray the inside white, someone else did that and was practically burnt at the stake by the ao boys LOL
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Vamino View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:08am
You've done a great job so far. Thumbs Up

The first cab I bought I had grand plans. I was gonna get the whole lot powdercoated, money was no object  etc etc. Since it was my first cab I didn't really have anything to compare it to so I figured it was knackered looking and grubby when compared to top class restorations I had seen on t'internet.

Only after buying other cabs later down the line I came to the understanding of what a knackered cab actually looks like! The cab I thought was knackered looked mint compared to some of the later ones I bought. LOL

I bought a load of NOS parts and after fitting them I put those other restoration plans on the back burner and simply enjoyed playing on the cab for a while. More time was spent tinkering than playing at that time. The hours I spent trying to get a Sanwa monitor looking like a Nanao was simply wasted time I will never get back!

After playing the cab for many many hours I decided to keep the cab as it was and the plans were cut back to just get some of the worse pieces of metalwork powdercoated at a later date. It played like a new cab which was the main thing for me, but it had the battle scars of being in an arcade which is something I don't mind now.

At the end of the day it's your cab mate, but I agree with Stykr by recommending going down the powdercoating route if you want it mint. It will save so much time and effort and when you add up the cost of the paint it isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.
Insert Coin[s]
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
I'm not sure that an NAC could be powder coated since its a plastic cabinet and powder coating requires the use of a large oven.
Unless the temp can be turned down, but will that effect the drying process?
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

Sounds like you have a plan, pal. All you need now is a pop up spray tan tent....

If only I knew someone who had one..................... Wink

Thanks a lot gents. I have to admit I thought powder coating was more for metal as well, but did consider it. A few problems though, but admittedly nothing major.
1) I'd have to get the bits there and only have a car (a coupe), so not too practical and would need a few trips or hire a van.
2) Since I only have to buy a few more spray cans (have everything else), the price difference would still be a bob or two.
3) I've secured everything back inside the bits now, so it would be a bit off a pain to remove them all again.

I know I said I wanted the cab minty, but I'm not after total perfection or something that stands up to close up scrutiny. Just a decent, uniform finish. To be honest, I've done everything myself so far and want to finish it off so I can say I did it all myself. If that makes sense?
geldra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geldra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:00am
Morning! Hope it’s ok to post some stuff in here rather than create another @Alpha1 NAC restore thread. :)

So I picked up NAC C from Olly recently (last Monday) and got to work on it straight away, stripping it down and cleaning mostly. I deffo think from the dust that it was some Arcade fan’s dying wish to have their ashes scattered inside a NAC.

Anyway, my progress so far is that I have sawed/drilled the rivets holding the control panel in place (waiting for some filler for the holes/cracks) and have primed it all up.

Before:

During:

After: inbound... (hopefully not botched)

Question: I need some hooped crimp connectors and some for connecting the wires to the buttons/joysticks, I’m guessing theyre something I can get from RS? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, the joysticks I have (LS33 iirc) need a proper connector rather than individually wired to each microswitch, can I get the connector anywhere?

Edit: got the above from Arcadeworld

Hoping to get a load more done over the bank hol.

Also, really conflicted about the colour of the speaker pod, I kinda like the aged yellowed look, though I need to get rid of the cigarette burns. Would it be ridiculous to colour match the yellow and paint it?

Edited by geldra - 30 Apr 2018 at 11:26am
geldra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geldra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:11pm
Taking shape.

So I decided to keep the speaker pod yellow and found a really decent match (Rustoleum Corn or something). Think I wanted to keep it yellowed as I kind of think it’s synonymous with NACs. So, sanded the cigarette burns out, primed and sprayed. The rest is primed and ready, just need to fill the rivet holes and the crack on front of the CP and i’ll be ready to take it back to gloss white.

Also trying to save as much of the original side art as possible.

Edited by geldra - 01 May 2018 at 2:12pm
Chunksin View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:31pm
Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed thread, I had 2 scary looking cracks under the CP on either side of my Blast City which is going to Revival this weekend, so I was worried about further damage. Took the plunge yesterday and used the same fiberglass repair kit as you did to patch it and now it's (touch wood) solid as a rock Thumbs Up I stuck painters tape on the outside of the crack and flexed the cab lightly to open up the cracks to let the resin set in then propped the CP underneath with 2 pieces of wood to close the cracks while it set.

Found it very easy to mix and handle but chuck the gloves that come with it straight in the bin, they stuck to everything! use some old marigolds instead!

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:17pm
Great work guys. Wish I could have kept one but alas it wasn't to be!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:11pm
Hi Nik73 and all people owners of a Astro City and a New Astro City!

I´m looking for a scan (in 2 or 3 files for assembling. No problem for me) of this piece to complete my New Astro City Set.

In exchage, I would help you with all other decals and little stickers. I have all!

I restore all little metallic stickers for New Astro City recently.

"Astro City Complete Periphery Stickers" for arcade cabinet printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 1).

"Astro City Complete Periphery Stickers" for arcade cabinet printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 2).

Of course, I have almost all from this cabinet restored and reproduced succesfully:

New Astro City Arcade Artworks (SEGA).

Regards

Edited by Mikonos11 - 15 May 2018 at 6:40pm
My mail: midasororey@yahoo.es
geldra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geldra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:57pm
Pretty much done with mine, just need to get the instruction glass replaced (or the scratches polished out), and glue the coin switch to the mech holder .

Edited by geldra - 16 May 2018 at 9:00pm
Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:00pm
Have you all metallic stickers and normal stickers? For example, I don´t see:

"440-CS0186-JP Warning Sticker"

*In thread you can see position over control panel around. I have it uncropped, I mean complete.

"Electrical Warning Sticker LB 1102". Position is over big frontal door.

If you scan "Fat Square backlite" for me, I will gift them to you. :-)

Regards

Edited by Mikonos11 - 17 May 2018 at 12:01pm
geldra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geldra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:17pm
Hey Mikonos, I can try and get a scan for you, but it wouldn’t be for a few days.
Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:22pm
I can wait all time you need! :-)

Regards
Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:35am
Scan it at 6oo dpi and save in TIFF format.

Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic