ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New Astro City Tart Up & Useful Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:08pm
Hi all,

A couple of weeks after I last posted a family member was taken seriously ill, so obviously work on this stalled. Thankfully things are massively better now, so I’m looking to get this finished in the limited spare time I have.
The first problem I found was that it’d been that long that I’ve forgotten what all the bits and screws lying around were from. I was really organised at first and put screws, etc from each section in its own tube, but there’s now a few piles in a few places around the room. Sure it’ll jog my memory when I start reassembling.

Anyway, made some good progress in the last couple of days and got all the scuffs, rust, marks, gouges and dings sanded on the body and surround and all the metal doors removed, sanded and sprayed.

I ummed and ahhed about whether or not to replace the side art as I know it’s hard to match the neon of the green, but in the end I figured although it wasn’t in really bad condition, it was scratched and faded enough it would spoil the overall look compared to the rest being shiny and fresh. So I’ve got some replacements from Olly and they’ll be the last job. The old ones same off easily with a heat gun.

Hoping to get some spraying done in the next few days and I’ll get some photos up.
Bulla View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:49pm
Look forward to seeing the updates Nik
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 12:45am
Yep, following here also [nods] Big smile

Wanted: Outrun DLX cab, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCBs.
- Parts needed: Naomi wheels, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
trev1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trev1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:51am
I took photos of all the screws I removed and placed them in one of those plastic boxes with all the seperate sections with a written label for each.

Worked really well , only had me head scratching once or twice.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
Good to have you back pal. Looking forward to seeing this get finished and playing a few games on it.

More importantly though, great news the other day to hear that they are out of hospital and back home.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 1:25pm
Cheers gents. Just when I thought all I had to do was spray and reassemble...........

Took the speakers out of their housing to give them a clean and one of them has a busted cone with a big hole in it.

I only fired it up for 5 minutes before I took it to bits, but don’t remember it sounding terrible. Sounded fine actually. Anyway, probably best to replace it. Appreciate it might be tricky to get one that fits perfectly, but it’s 8cm and 4ohm impedance, so something like this should work right?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/3643341/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Office_Supplies-_-Speakers_And_Components%7CSpeaker_Drivers-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw77TbBRDtARIsAC4l83kZqQyG_aCaw_ABMVc-l2q1_RIvzXx1glhZpHA-ijlBtcYFHtLJ2hcaAqCTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Nik73 - 10 Aug 2018 at 1:35pm
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by trev1976 trev1976 wrote:

I took photos of all the screws I removed and placed them in one of those plastic boxes with all the seperate sections with a written label for each.

Worked really well , only had me head scratching once or twice.

Yeah, that’s what I did at first. Each set had its own tub, but then I started putting them in piles in various places around the room thinking it would only be for a couple of days. 5 months later, here we are...........
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 7:52pm
Very little spare time at the minute, but did a bit more digging and the originals are 10w 4ohm unshielded, so think I’ll go with these ones.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/3643313/
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:33pm
Been doing little bits when I get chance and have got the monitor surround, speaker surround, etc finished and put back together. REALLY happy with the results and would definitely recommend the rustoleum painters touch paint I mentioned before. It’s given a lovely smooth, glossy finish that I was after.
Here’s the monitor surround after I’d sanded it down for priming (already primed the bottom where the fag burns were). This was probably the scruffiest part of the cab, so a lot of the fibreglass showing, but all nice and smooth.

Here’s the after. It’s hard to show the glossy finish and it looks a bit dull and textured in the photos, but it’s not.

Then finally, everything back together. Is it perfect? No, but it’s not far off and much, much better than before and way better than I thought I could do. Lovely and smooth all over and nice, uniform colour.

Sadly not all good news. The control pan surround is still kicking my arse. Not sure why, but one of the layers of paint reacted badly with the top coat I put on. Sanded the top coat back, but it did it again. Worked out it’s the ral 9002 stuff I tried first, but not sure why it’s doing it now? Maybe it’s because of the length of time I’ve left it? Anyway, don’t touch the stuff.
Probably should have sanded it right back once I decided to do it in the white, but I’m doing it now with the mouse.
Nik73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:18pm
Good day today. FINALLY got the control panel done and put back together. It’s the one thing I really wanted to be near perfect, and it is. The only thing letting down is the instruction space glass,. It’s so badly scratched even norvus couldn’t save it, but not a huge deal. I’m really happy with it, especially when you look at the photos of when I first got it taken off.

The rest is coming along as well when I get chance. Got the main shell (back and sides) primed today, so hopefully get that finished over the weekend.
Also filled the cracks on the outside of the base where I repaired it with fibreglass on the inside. Used some of this (bought it months ago), but you don’t seem to be able to get it now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-1595265-Ultra-Repair-Putty/dp/B00FLXCXDI

Getting there slowly but surely.

Edited by Nik73 - 28 Sep 2018 at 11:22pm
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 7:45am
A framers will probably cut you a replacement piece of glass
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 8:37am
Looking good pal. If you want the glass replaced, I'll sort it for you. Just drop me a text.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
retrob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote retrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:04am
Looking really good.  Nice work.
Clap
Wanted:
Burn Free A68KJU96X (Toshiba) Tube with or without MS9-29__ chassis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic