Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New gaming bar in Brum - Kongs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New gaming bar in Brum - Kongs
    Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:21pm
Just seen a Facebook update for a new bar opening in Birmingham called Kongs, apparently they are already up and running in Cardiff and Bristol and seem to be doing quite well. Only problem is they run awful brand new replica LCD cabs and charge a quid a go

Andy, please open up an arcade club in Birmingham!!!
TWB View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:41pm
I think they were supposed to open a place on Bennett’s Hill last year, no idea why that never happened. Hopefully they’ll have the odd original CRT cab in amongst the LCD screens.

Originally posted by Chunksin Chunksin wrote:

+1 for this

Edited by TWB - 11 Oct 2018 at 7:42pm
WANTED
Cabs:
Leisure 2000 | Asteroids Cabaret
PCBs: Starforce | Ms Pacman | Astro Fighter
Parts: Hantarex POLO remote board loom
JonathanClayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanClayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:46pm
Yeah, we visited the one in Cardiff earlier in the Summer. All repro cabs with LCDs Thumbs Down

Don't get me wrong, I get it, but it wasn't for me
mynintendoarcade.com
u72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Chunksin Chunksin wrote:

Just seen a Facebook update for a new bar opening in Birmingham called Kongs, apparently they are already up and running in Cardiff and Bristol and seem to be doing quite well. Only problem is they run awful brand new replica LCD cabs and charge a quid a go

Patience you must have my young padawan...

Visit the Largest Classic Video Arcade in Europe!

Arcade Club Home Page
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
Ah I must already know this from the Cardiff one I think. Black square logo with pixelly Kong on it in white?

I heard it was all bartops and flat screens too. They need some old school input into thingd.

Wanted: Outrun DLX cab, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCBs.
- Parts needed: Naomi wheels, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
u72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Ah I must already know this from the Cardiff one I think. Black square logo with pixelly Kong on it in white?

I heard it was all bartops and flat screens too. They need some old school input into thingd.

Yeah, it’s just a beer cash in with fake cabs :(
I understand it’s hard to get vintage stuff repaired but
to make a beeline for the easiest route and charge £1 a go is also wrong imo...

Loads of this is on the horizon. 2019 - the year of pandora :D

Visit the Largest Classic Video Arcade in Europe!

Arcade Club Home Page
jimmerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:15pm
A friend dragged me in to Kongs in Bristol on a night out, seemed quite a fun venue aimed at students, with a table tennis setup, plenty of open space and seating along with some wood barrels for good measure, sort of a French youth clubs vibe.LOL

'They have got Donkey Kong' muttered somebody.

Great I thought, the place is called Kongs so its going to have a couple of proper Nintendo cabinets.

Oh dear, somebody clearly has not read the retro 'barcade' 101 instruction manual, a single cheaply made donkey king with bad controls and a cheap LCD. They had Double Dragon and Street Fighter II which was unplayable due to strange speeded up emulation. . (Or maybe that was the beer)

I think it's a poor show of a business that could easily afford to run and service a couple of original machines Surely that would be a unique feature, stick a high score table on the wall and attract some more business?  Throw in a couple of pinballs as well, easy money.

Anyhow not been back since.

Edited by jimmerd - 11 Oct 2018 at 9:24pm
aztecca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aztecca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:41pm
+1 for arcadeclub in Brum.
giantkeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:38pm
Another +1 for Arcade Club in Brum. There you go Andy, that's at least four customers you'd have! I do think Birmingham would be a great city for a retro arcade. They already have Tilt in the city centre, and it seems to do really well. It's a coffee shop with classic and brand new pinball tables. Shame they charge £1 a go though!
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:52pm
Forget Brum - you're not THAT far from AC. We need one down south, first. ANYWHERE down south. Wink
Tedward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:15am
Yes I'm all for one in the Midlands too, but the south needs that arcade goodness first Wink
Bertie_Mollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertie_Mollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm
+1 for Brum
deanzor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:24pm
Feel like Corby, Northants is probably the best place for AC2
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:58pm
Most new retro/craft beer bars have the same decor old school desks/barrels/sacks stapled to the walls
Bare brick walls ect

Barcades have been in america for years
It was only a matter of time before they start poping up everywhere else
But theres a right way to do it with real cabs
And a wrong way to do it with lcd,s
I dont live far from brum but wont be going to kongs it sounds awfull

Always wondered when we will be getting an arcade club the one in manchester is two hours drive away
were meeting g over there
huggers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:50pm
I played DK in Kongs in Bristol. Quid a pop, LCD latency screen, 8 way joystick.... Yeah. Cool place but definitely more for the casual gamer types 
8-Bit Andy
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:19pm
I went to one (can’t remember where) and it was dreadful.
Worst thing was no one was playing the games.
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic