ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

*** New Multiboard RaspberryJAMMA ***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
swisstoni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote swisstoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *** New Multiboard RaspberryJAMMA ***
    Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:12pm
dee2eR wrote:

The ARpiCADE 3.71 update is here!  

This is an update for a ARpiCADE 3.7 SD card. There is just one file to download too (unless you also need to get the 3.7 image):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6UOezdjM-2CZjF0QkFCZjhUMFE

3.71 UPDATE FEATURES:
Better resolution switching, 288p@50Hz and 256p@56Hz added
240p mode now progressive scan only mode (uses 240p, 256p and 288p)
Vertical low res progressive scan only mode added
Improvements to auto config system
AdvMAME 0.94 (a bit faster than later versions of AdvMAME, as it's based on earlier MAME code)
MAME 0.139 (libretro MAME 2010) (was already there before but can now be used at your own risk it's buggy and doesn't support saving high scores)
Samples folder moved to /boot/sample for easy access (all versions of MAME share sample folder)
Attract-Mode layouts moved to /boot/attract-layouts/ for easy access
2 more vertical Attract-Mode layouts included
Daphne launcher bug fixed
AdvMAME config improvements & hotkey bug fixed (+ can now switch between using 1.4 and 3.0 on a per rom basis in the launcher)
Better naming for game order in [emulator].lst files
Loading message universal file (easy consistant editing of loading message)
Graphical loading message can be enabled/disabled through above file using cusomisable loading images
Monitor setup colorbar and crosshatch sceens avilable through service menu (crosshatch only covers 480i/p and 240p currently)
Playstation memory card functionality and savestates should now work
Fixed visible console rom scanning script errors
New ARpiCADE logo (ohh such features, much wow)
General improvements I've forgotten the details of...

HOW TO UPDATE:
1. Download the update and unzip it.

2. Copy the file update.sh and the folder 371update with its entire contents to /boot/config-updater (on a SD card with ARpiCADE 3.7 installed)

3. Power up and you should be able to update from the service menu in Attract-Mode (cab service button or keyboard left/right until you find it) it will reboot when finished, the process will take a couple of minutes DO NOT power down while the update is running just wait for it to reboot. There is no feedback from the update as it is running.

4. (optional) After update & reboot you may need to run the system setup option you want from the service menu eg. High res vertical or 240p only horizontal etc. The update will not change the current resolution your system is running in (for your cabs safety). By default high res service menu options will be commented out in /boot/launchers/servMenu.sh after the upgrade, if you want to use them you can uncomment them in the file /boot/config-updater/371update/boot/launchers/servMenu.sh before running the update to make them available for you immediately after the update.

PLEASE NOTE:
The update script will modify the folder layout of your SD card, samples and layouts will be moved to /boot if there is insufficient available space on /boot this will probably break something, a fresh vanilla 3.7 image will be fine but otherwise please check the available space is enough (especially if you have the huge Toaplan samples in /home/pi/.advance/sample).

Please backup your SD card before running the update script in case of issues. ENJOY!

edit - added the latest info to the top of this thread, hopefully it doesn't confuse people too much - DanP

I recently picked this up from a member called dee2er on the Aussie Arcade forum, its a JAMMA adapter PCB for a Raspberry Pi 2,it converts a Pi to a JAMMA board which can be used in any JAMMA cab with no modification to the cab, the unit is plug and play and powered totally by JAMMA like a normal PCB no external power supply is needed also it works on 15khz arcade monitors, there is even a plug for a kick harness a wire for which was supplied.

Dee2er sells them as a kit or pre-assembled he will also sell them as just the board only if you wish, the full pre-assemble kit cost was $230 australian dollars delivered although I did get hit with a £27 customs charge and it took 2 weeks to arrive.

There are 3 versions of Mame on the SD card Mame4all, Final Burn Alpha and Advancemame. The SD card has 2 partitions, on a windows PC the roms folders for each mame emulator can be accessed and roms added/deleted as you wish, the other partition on the card can only be read in linux in this part you can access emulator configs, snapshots etc so you can set it up as you wish, also when playing a game if you press tab the mame menu appears and you can adjust game options.

Reading the forum thread it appears it doesn’t work with multisync monitors and there is no video amp on the board so it does appear slightly dark on my arcade monitor even with the brightness on full maybe tweaking the monitor chassis pots might correct this?

Anyway, ive only had a quick go and so far im really impressed loads of the titles play really well far better than than on the Chinese multiboards with no lag/screen tearing.

If anyone wants to have a read of the thread on Aussie Arcade for a bit more info the link is below, I will invite Dee2er to this thread so he can answer any questions you might have.

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/67986-JAMMA-board-from-Raspberry-PI?highlight=Jamma+Board+from+Raspberry+PI

CPS1

CPS2

CPS3

Horizontal Games - Video 2

Vertical Games

Daphne Emulator

Edited by DanP - 19 Oct 2017 at 2:33pm
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:16pm
Count me in for a group buy :)
Looking for More Space!!
DataEast77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DataEast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:57pm
Very cool
Carlito3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlito3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:37pm
Count me in for group buy too.
Fuzzy View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 7:01pm
Ooh. Very interesting indeed. Big smile
rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm
It was only a matter of time... and I think I want one.

Count me in if there is a group order...

rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:43pm
Can it be setup to auto boot into a specific game..?

devtty0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:30pm
looks good - nice to see one of these projects get completed as well! .. I'm looking at you OpenJamma..

I would def be in on a group buy as well Smile
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:01pm
Think I'd be in for a group buy also much less hassle than PC in cab
silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
whats the handling on this with MAME vertical

i used MAME on a pi before (Pi2) adn found horizontal is fine but when you rotate the system via the config of the pie and try to play vertical its just freezes and drops frames and is pretty much unplayable

Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:36pm
How did the creator manage to get 15khz from the Pi? or is it some kind of interlaced pic?
Looking for More Space!!
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

How did the creator manage to get 15khz from the Pi? or is it some kind of interlaced pic?

looking at the black box

i assume its done via soft15k and some sort of circuit
RygarR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

i used MAME on a pi before (Pi2) adn found horizontal is fine but when you rotate the system via the config of the pie and try to play vertical its just freezes and drops frames and is pretty much unplayable

Not so tragic in a cab though Dude. You can just tate the monitor...
swisstoni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swisstoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 11:13pm
Guys ive sent the seller Dee2er a PM and invited him to the thread to answer any technical questions you might have.

Edited by swisstoni - 12 Dec 2015 at 11:14pm
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 12:13am
The black box looks like one of them cheapy hdmi to vga boxes from ebay. I'd be interested to see how good the picture quality is and if there's any lag like there usually is on those types of up/down scalers.
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by RygarR RygarR wrote:

Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

Not so tragic in a cab though Dude. You can just tate the monitor...

that what i meant

if you tate the monitor and get the pi to boot in vertical mode

the pi just cant handle the pressure

so i wanted to know if that been overcome or not

dee2eR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee2eR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 1:30am
Hi all,
Thanks for the interest in my board.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

'can it boot to just one game?' - yes, no problem

'can it run vertical?' yes, again no problem.  The trick here is to rotate the emulators and not the whole pi, anything but a 180 rotation (useful for some screen mounting if picture is upside down) for the whole pi will incur the performance penalty you found out about.

'does the video scaler add lag? - there is not a video scaler in the video chain.  All that is used is straight digital to analogue conversion.  The pi outputs whatever it is set to output in a config file.

'is that a cheapy HDMI-VGA box I see?'  Sort of... the key is finding one that is happy to do low-res and isn't compleate garbage like so many of these are.  I have designed the board without these but the chips required must be bought in too high a quantity for it to make sense.  Also using the off the shelf part puts all the surface mount parts required for the ciruit into an easily and cheaply replaced part making the whole package more servicable long term.
vib_ribbon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 7:18am
Finally! Been asking for something like this for yonks. I'd be interested to see what the review is like. How much more for one with a video amp though...?
dee2eR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee2eR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 8:46am
The focus of this version was to lower the price compared to the first version of the board.  I'll probably put a video amp into the next version (if I get to version 3).  For now if you need one you will have to supply your own.  Ultimarcs video amp works well with the board but if I supplied them they would end up being flown around the world twice, adding to the cost.
rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:02am
Not that I'm going to orser one this side of Christmas but is there a website for the shop or is it just PM only atm... ?

Also what are the different versions and bundles that youare offering..?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic