ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Nichibutsu - Moon Alien Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataritoobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:08pm
Never thought I'd see that reproduced - pretty cool!

Interestingly, the t-molding on my Nichibutsu cabs have always had silver/orange or silver/brown, not white/orange.
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:51pm
Yes it's great to see. Jeff (jetusenet) over on KLOV did a great job getting this together. I don't take any credit in getting this made, just reporting on it.

I wasn't sure on the colours but Jeff said he had a sample back in December and colour matched. I guess with the Crazy Climber that is in the pictures which does look Orange/White. Maybe is had a silver coating that was worn off over the years.

Anyway, it's a lot better than the plane Orange or plane White I would have gone with had this not been reproduced. The 3 ridges in the centre is a nice addition and maybe the reason it is 3 times the price of other t-molding.
Screenburn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screenburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:47am
Any progress on the Moon Alien? I'm pretty sure I have, or certainly had an original marquee and bezel for this game, and from memory the artwork restoration and colours look spot on, nice to see a lesser known game getting some love.
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 10:25am
Slow and steady progress this month.
I'll be putting in an order for the t-molding later this month so looking forward to getting that and making progress on the cabinet. I've been putting off doing the cabinet because of the weather. I've only got a small garage to work in so I want to wait till its a bit warmer to put the cab outside on the drive and sand it all down ready for some white melamine. 

Cap kit arrived from Ian Kellogg for the 20" Toei CM-R20 Monitor. Got in there just before he closed down for a bit. Think its back open end of March. Need to address the monitor at some point soon.

I believe I now have all the PCB's, electrical boards and power supplies required to run the game.
Moon Alien PCB (need to write new ROMs and reverse the hack that is on the board)
PSU Board
Credit Board (thanks to simonden for sending me this part Thumbs Up  )
PCB Connectors (thanks simonden again)

Need to find the pins/sockets for these connectors if anyone knows off-hand what they are?

(white connectors on white paper isn't great..i'll take a better picture later)

Also bought a Nintendo Joystick with a 2-way restrictor plate from JonathanClayton last week. Plan on using this as the joystick until I can source a Nichibutsu cocktail control panel I can rob the stick and buttons off..

If you still have that Bezel and/or Marquee then i'd be interested in buying it if it is for sale?
If not I'd at least like to get a really good scan of it if that is possible?
The repo's that pezley did are really good and i'm close to ordering some print-to-plexy from muddymusic.

I would really like to get this cabinet in a presentable state by May and maybe even get it to Revival..
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:09pm
Thanks to screenburn for agreeing to part with his bezel and marquee this restoration has taken a huge leap forward!

Here's some better pics of the connectors i'm still looking for pins/sockets for. Anyone know where i can find them?

simonden View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by JonTron JonTron wrote:

Here's some better pics of the connectors i'm still looking for pins/sockets for. Anyone know where i can find them?

Farnell sell them still - they are standard JST.  I will dig out part numbers in a few days.
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 1:51am
Ok, thanks.

Been working on the PCB tonight. Gave the whole board a good look over. Found chip at 6L with a leg sticking out and a leg missing. Popped it out, cleaned it up, gave it a new leg and popped it back in. Also re-connected the resistors R82-R86 that had all been cut out. All the traces look good and all the solder looks like it was done last week. Clean and shiny. Was going to go round and re-flow but doesn't need it.

EPROMS
Went to go and burn the EPROMS for Moon Alien or Moon Alien II. I have a few ROM files for these games but the all have weird ROM numbers. I'm used to seeing the ROM number correspond to the location the chip goes but these numbers are different. 
On my Moon Alien romset I've got;
  • 1H
  • 1K (ok with these two)
  • ca1
  • ca2
  • prg2
  • prg3
  • prg5 (none of these correspond to a location I can put my finger on)
There is also a load of other files like galmidw.u and galx.u

On Moon Alien II there is;
  • md-1.a
  • md-2.b
  • md-3.d
  • md-4.g
  • md-5.h (c/c++ header file??)
  • md-6.f
And then K1 and H1 again.

Anyone know were all these EPROMs should go and in what order?
For Moon Alien II I was thinking the letter matched the daughter board spaces. a/b/(c missing)/d/(e missing)/f/g
R64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 1:18am
Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t been able to contribute on this recently, as I’m focused on my games room build (!!).
It’s a bit of a yak shave, but, I might be able to get some better pics if the control panel, but I’ll need some help.

There is a chap here in Oz who sells the square buttons required for this control panel. He has lots of them, but they’re yellow (not an insurmountable problem), and he’s a bit averse to using the post office, and a little jaded by the local scene (read: curmudgeonly). So I am thinking of putting in a big order for these NOS buttons, and throwing a few bucks at him for the for some scans or HQ pics of the CPO in the deal. An offer he can’t refuse.

So

Who need these buttons? I’d be happy to package and post them anywhere to get it moving.
If anyone can chuck in a donation to help bribe the dude that would be super. If you’ll allow me to use the exchange rate as a margin, we should be able to build up enough to motivate this fellow, you’ll get the buttons and the scans.

Say, £3 per button, £15 towards domestic + international postage, + £10 bribe.

I’ll put in the same amount obviously. Apologies if this is off topic or against rules.
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
Sound like a plan Ryan. I'll have a few buttons and put in some 'leverage' cash. Wont be this month but i'll send you a message.

I still have the Moon Quasar panel which is the same as Moon Alien but with the silver and black inverted. I'm working on the scans and with Gimp image software, but its a long and painful learning curve.

Also working on the scans of the bezel and marquee that i'll upload to the dropbox when they are done. Handheld scanner i bought is ok but the scans are dark and 'wavy' due to it being scanned by hand. Complete images though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic