Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Nichibutsu Project Cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nichibutsu Project Cab
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:20am
I picked up a cabinet that I bought off Gumtree the other day. Advertised as coming with 2 monitors (working apparently) and some other arcade bits and bobs. The cabinet looked solid enough in the pictures, if not a little tatty round the edges, but I was looking for something that I could use for a 60-in-1 board project and something about this cabinet made me buy it. I could always use a couple of 19" monitors anyway if the cab was a mess.

So 1st off I switched it on to see what the PCB was and to see if the monitor worked. Turned out to be Taito's Football Champ from 1990. After some adjustment of the monitor I got a picture. But it was only about half size in the middle of the screen and no amount of adjustments could make it fit. This was the best I could do and then I lost the picture and couldn't get it back. I'll try again later. 

So it didn't take long to find out that it was a Nichibutsu Cabinet.

But what the original game could have been, interested me. At some point the monitor had been turned from vertical to horizontal and extra panels attached to the front. The marquee was a piece of plexi painted black and blue with sticker residue where, I presume, the operator stuck a game name on for whatever was in at the time. 

I removed it and saw my 1st clue as to what game it was on the back.

Moon Alien! So at first I was trying to work out how the image had transferred onto this bit of plexi. Maybe the old marquee was behind it and the sunlight from years of sitting in a chip shop window had burned the image onto the plastic? Maybe not. Looking at the front again, I saw a hint of red/orange breaking through the paint. I looked for a scraping device...

I thought of how stupid my 'sunlight transfer' idea now sounded...

A Wild Nichibutsu Owl emerges..

The knife was taking forever so I tried some paint thinner. That had very little effect, so I raided MrsJT's cosmetic drawer and found some nail polish remover. That did it...

And so another project is born.

JT

Edited by JonTron - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:21am
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:35am
Woo! Nice archaeology work :) Good luck with the resto on it! :)

I found acetone / nail polish remover can actually scratch up the plastic surface. Denatured alcohol is probably safer?

Edited by Flinnster - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:36am

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:06am
Nice find, seen plenty table games but not many uprights, get that 60 in 1 idea out your head lol
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Woo! Nice archaeology work :) Good luck with the resto on it! :)

I found acetone / nail polish remover can actually scratch up the plastic surface. Denatured alcohol is probably safer?

Thanks. Think i read it somewhere as the 5th best tbing to use to remove paint from plastic or something so in my haste to uncover the art i used what i had. I'll definitely use your suggestion in the future though, thanks. Surface looks ok apart for some bits where i went overboard with the Stanley.

Originally posted by Ronnie Dent Ronnie Dent wrote:

Nice find, seen plenty table games but not many uprights, get that 60 in 1 idea out your head lol

I know, i know. New plan is to restore the outside to as much as original as possible and looks for a legit Moon Alien PCB. But they might be out of my price range, i doubt anyone would want to swap it for Football Champ...we'll see. There is another wiring harness that came with the 'bits and bobs' but until i see a board i wont be able to tell if its the right one. If not i'll make up a harness when i get the board.
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:09am
You can probably make the marquee look like new again by wet sanding and polishing it. I did that to a Videomaster clear plexi (or some kind of plastic) CPO.
I wet sanded (dish wash soap and water) with progressively higher grit sand paper. I believe I started with 200 until I had removed all the deep scratches, then moved onto 400, 800, 1200 and 2000. It was important to use liquid, or it would leave scratches.
In the end I polished with Novus 2, and the CPO looked like new!
No guarantees, though! It worked for me, but may depend on the material I guess.
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:16am
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. The main problem with the marquee is the damage to the artwork on the other side though. The whole right side must have had some water damage or something as parts of the paint are gone. Its amazing that the left side looks as good as it does really.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:51am
Looks like that thin bit of plastic under the monitor is part of the bezel!

Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:00am
Love the attract screens on this, proper demo coding, sine waves and large text scrollers Smile

JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:37am
Yeah Alpha1 thats the only image i can find on this cab. That part of the bezel is what made me look twice at the gumtree ad. Yeah it was cut and use to cover the hole when the monitor was rotated.
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:03pm
Update.
Got to work removing some of the wood attached to the front. The extra baton added to the top where the control panel would be was quite easy to remove. It was held on by 10-12 staples. The lower board was a lot harder as it was screwed in place but I couldn't see where. A bit of careful persuasion with a wide flat screwdriver uncovered the original Nichibutsu Front panel with slotted speaker grill.

It has obviously been hacked to fit a different sized coin door, but the original 4 corners and attaching screw holes are in place so should be easy to reproduce.

JT
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:54pm
Scanned the marquee using my flat bed printer. Only 300dpi so not great quality. Will have to get a hand scanner and do it properly. 

I've never used Photoshop but I wanted to give it a try out before I do the higher quality image when I get a proper scanner.

Here is the progress so far.

Still got to figure out how to add in the black lines around all the sections. 

If anyone can find any more images for the cab then I would really like to see them. I've only got the flyer cab image to go on so will hopefully be looking to commission some side art in the future unless I can find the official image.

Edited by JonTron - 19 Sep 2017 at 10:03pm
Mikonos11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikonos11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:15pm
I like to try it. Can I download it?

or, here is my mail: midasororey@yahoo.es
My mail: midasororey@yahoo.es
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:34pm
Sure, I'll send you the file I have from the scanner. It's only 1.75mb because of the low quality scan, but your welcome to have a go. Needs some creative license on the right side of the image. 
Mark H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:57pm
Great game - a kinda space invaders clone.

Cheers

Mark
"The Future Is Now"
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:09pm
Kind off. Looks more like Galaga from the way the bugs come down towards you. You can also aim the shot by moving the ship after firing.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:15pm
I had a search for sideart and only seemed to find Cosmic Alien 'plus' themed art.
Good luck on your search for the original source of this stuff!

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:40pm
you can get moon alien to work on a galaxian pcb. just change rom codes.
WANTED: Any Nichibutsu stuff, Pre Jamma Fan. scrap nichibutsu table
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
JonTron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:25am
Side Art

OK, so not official but not a bad approx. given what I have available. If this is what I can do with one flyer image and 5 days photoshop experience, imagine what a pro could do. I have some family friends who are artist, hopefully one of them would like the challenge.

Here's the flyer I got the images from.

JT
pezley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pezley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:18am
Originally posted by JonTron JonTron wrote:

Scanned the marquee using my flat bed printer. Only 300dpi so not great quality. Will have to get a hand scanner and do it properly. 

I've never used Photoshop but I wanted to give it a try out before I do the higher quality image when I get a proper scanner.

Here is the progress so far.

Still got to figure out how to add in the black lines around all the sections. 

If anyone can find any more images for the cab then I would really like to see them. I've only got the flyer cab image to go on so will hopefully be looking to commission some side art in the future unless I can find the official image.

Ill have a  go at restoring this and give you some tips pn PS

For black lines, each image needs to be it's own layer, double click the layer and tick the stroke box. This will give you a thick outer edge.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:55am
Good stuff. I love archaeology projects like this.

Yeah, the key to using PS is to put all discrete aspects of the artwork on separate layers, then you can manipulate them individually, as needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic