FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Nintendo Helifire Cocktail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nintendo Helifire Cocktail
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:09pm
My second restoration project for this year, this very rare Nintendo Helifire cocktail.
Spotted a few months back from eBay, it had been sat in a car dealership waiting room for years apparently, I had a chat with Alex/chuckie-egg about it, as he's the expert on these and I've never owned a cocktail like this, and decided to take a punt with the opening bid as it seemed a fair price for a rare cab like this.

In the pics it appeared to be working, although the description said it wasn't and it had many games like Space Invaders and Pac-Man so I was half expecting a 60-in-1 originally, but got some extra photos and it appeared to be all original from what I could see.

Martin dropped it off last week, and I thought I'd start having a look over the weekend.

Control panels look to be in superb condition, 1 start button to find.

Original coin mech and cash box door are present and with all the original locks and keys which is nice. A bit of damage around the door.

Serial plate. Nice to see this is indeed a UK cab.

The main cab and legs are in quite nice condition, so I might just give them a good clean rather than go all out with a re-paint.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:15pm
Top of the cab has suffered the most damage. The glass is long gone, leaving the top exposed.

The original decals are badly damaged - but I'm really glad to find they are complete enough that all the art and text is there so I can easily reproduce them.

Inside the lid is good, both operator information sheets are present.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:24pm
All the internals seem to be original which is great. Proper monitor, pcb set, and loom all as it should be. In fact it's remarkably clean and tidy in there.

I checked all connections and gave it some power. Sadly if it was working before it isn't now, I get a loud noise and then a grey screen.

First thing to test was the psu, as these fail often according to Alex.

Pinout

Video pcb Power-in

1.  GND
  2.  GND
  3.  GND
  4.  +12 V - 11.8v
  5.  +12 V - 11.8v
  6.  +12 V - 11.8v
  7.  +12 V - 11.8v
  8.  +5 V - 2.5v
  9.  +5 V - 2.5v
  10.  -5 V - -4.98v

CPU pcb Power-in

1.  GND
  2.  GND
  3.  GND
  4.  +12 V - 11.8v
  5.  +12 V - 11.8v
  6.  +5 V - 2.5v
  7.  +5 V - 2.5v
  8.  -5 V - -4.98v
  9.  +24 V - 0v

So missing the 24v and a very low 5v supply, which would explain why the game won't boot.

aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:37pm
Looks pretty tidy that.

Helifire doesn't get nearly enough love. This is a great game people - really deep gameplay once you get into it. Even includes dancing women on an island. Looking forward to seeing this get sorted!
lesoleil70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lesoleil70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:43pm
If you're not too fussed about an original button I have one here that will do the job for you, bought it for my Space Firebird then found an original one.  Yours for postage.

Edited by lesoleil70 - 18 Apr 2016 at 4:54pm
Cabs/Projects:
Stern:Berzerk
ENV:Donkey Kong Junior
Midway:Space Invaders
Atari:Pole Position II
Zaccaria:Dodgem
Adelphi Coin:Challenger II
Universal:Space Panic
Taito:Galaxian
Nintendo:Space Firebird
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
Thanks mate, very kind Thumbs Up I think Alex found me an original one once he knew I'd bought the cab so should be ok.
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:15pm
Nice project, I'm a big fan of these Nintendo tables, I don't think you need worry about the 48v as that's only for coin meter however the 5v is duff as you know hopefully it will fire up once you sort that out, looks similar pinouts to space firebird,

Cheers Ronnie
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:02pm
Those Nintendo linear power supply's are crap. dump it and pop in a switcher. Use pin headers to make a little converter loom so you don't have to chop the original propriotory (spelling?) plugs.

I'll send you a pic if you need one...

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

Those Nintendo linear power supply's are crap. dump it and pop in a switcher. Use pin headers to make a little converter loom so you don't have to chop the original propriotory (spelling?) plugs.

I'll send you a pic if you need one...

Yea pic would be good as I also plan to switcher mine bit the more discreet the better

Cheers Ronnie
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:43pm
Been editing the podcast tonight, so I'll get a pic tomorrow. If I forget - PROD ME!

Check out the podcast

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:22pm
I'm going to see if the original psu can be fixed before I do anything, I'd like to keep it original If I can.
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:25pm
the psu in my space fever just needed the bridge rectifier replacing .. before that it used to just hum when switched on :)
*SMG*
Wanted: Cabs: Paperboy, Daytona
Pcbs: Splatterhouse, WWf the arcade game
Rich View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:33am
Nice to see a machine like this be restored to its fomer glory, well hopefully :)

Rich
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 5:22am
Good luck with the psu. There's a custom part in there that is impossible to find.

Check out the podcast

Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 6:20am
Lovely pick up mate
If it's anything like space firebird I would get a switcher in there as in my experience space firebird is very unreliable.
Are you going to scan the top art ?
DABYX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DABYX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 6:59am
Nice pickup. Great to see so much original bits n bobs and as you say, shocking how clean inside is, especially considering there's no glass!
Good luck with the resto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:51am
Scanning in the decals so I can vector them.

Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:54am
they are in incredibly good nick considering
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:56am
Yeah they really are, if they'd been missing I probably wouldn't have bought the cab if I'm honest as I could have been waiting forever for a proper image of them.
Franzy21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franzy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:18am
Such a beautiful cab.
Man, I'm SO jealous!!!!
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting for me in a barn...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic