Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Nintendo Space FireBird Upright Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nintendo Space FireBird Upright Restoration
    Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 10:51am
Hi, As mentioned on my intro thread (http://www.ukvac.com/forum/hello-im-mypinballs-jim_topic348758.html)  i picked up a Space Firebird Upright Cabinet with Donkey Kong Screen, Bezel and boards etc. My plan is to restore it back to original condition firstly with the donkey kong game parts as this is one of my favourite games and then later (hopefully) with a set of Space Firebird parts to.

So, The cabinet arrived yesterday after its trip from Ireland. 

I knew that the game is in need of a lot of love and time, but was fairly confident that the cabinet was sound and not rotten although with plenty of scrapes and dings. This was the first thing i wanted to check and i am happy to report that it is all sound :)

My plan first is the strip the cabinet down to the bear wood frame and get all the metal parts either re zinc plated, powder coated, or replaced with new depending on condition, clean the wood frame inside and out and replace all t moulding. I'm not sure what to do with the outside cabinet paint surface yet. I guess i have a couple of choices, clean and leave the 'history', touch up the dings and leave the rest original, or sand and repaint it all. I don't really want to loose the dings and scrapes though for some reason. Seems like its part of its history, though i want it to look neat and shiny to!

Thoughts welcome :)

Edited by myPinballs - 24 Nov 2015 at 10:54am
http://mypinballs.co.uk
http://blog.mypinballs.com
ianski View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:17am
Great project mate look forward to seeing how you get on. That's a rare cab if put back to a space firebird.
Good to see it nicely wrapped and palleted for its journey.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:32am
Great stuff - looking forward to this one.

I know what you mean about keeping the 'history' dents and scrapes. Personally, I'd leave the original red paintwork as it is. It shows it's a pretty rare Space Firebird cab. If you repaint it, it would look like a regular DK cab that's just been repainted. But that's just my personal opinion. Smile
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:08pm
Good luck with this.

I loves me a bit of DK so understand you putting it to this first and getting some replay value back to yourself, but would love to see this converted back to a Firebird if you ever found the parts.

Either way, keep the photos coming of the progress.

Neil
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
myPinballs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:33pm
Some more pics of the current strip down and cleaning process under way. Once i have all the metal parts and old t moulding off i can give it a good clean inside and out. 

Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:43pm
No messing straight in there, great stuff, I'm a big fan of spacefirebird I hope you can source the bezel cpo etc boards should be easy enough to get I have a few but all need repaired inc the one in the game

Ronnie
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:48pm
The wood does not look too bad at all
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:50pm
On to the monitor itself and its separate oak veneered box!

Unfortunately the tube itself hasn't survived with the neck being broken sometime in its past :(. However on a positive note all boards are there and intact and the box itself has cleaned up nicely and is solid, not rotten.

So i'm going to need to try and source either an alternative sanyo monitor for it, or work out if there is a substitute tube i could use and service the analogue boards. I want to keep it all in the original box. I was hoping that i could just concentrate on the analogue board side, as that's more my bag, but no worries. Does anyone know if there are certain old crt tv's that could be used, i.e same/similar tubes etc? Not sure how easy this would be though.

Pics of box when removed

And after the outside was cleaned

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:53pm
never seen an arcade monitor mounted like that.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Hurray Banana Hurray Banana wrote:

never seen an arcade monitor mounted like that.

Yes, seems a little overkill :) The front even has a full 80's tv style blank plastic frame with central flip down adjustment cover (blank inside though!)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:08pm
Yeah does look like an old school tv, stuffed in a furniture cabinet Smile
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:58pm
I guess it should look like this

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:01pm
Loving this! If you need any repro Nintendo bits Mike Haaland's your man.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:07pm
Here's where your cab lived

Ace Coin Automatics or something like that :-)

It's a real Japanese upright made for the UK market 240v/50hz. Very cool!

I believe the bezel and control panel are exactly the same as Radarscope - but rather than blue, orangeish.

The marquee Etienne has recreated for Space Firebird.

If that's a Japanese TV (I have a few early Taito games that literally have TVs in), try and old school TV repair guy!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:08pm
And personally I would get all the metal sand blasted and powder coated and keep the original red either with the few blemishes it has or carefully touching them in. I'd probably opt for the former.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:22pm
is this from that irish horde that the seller got greedy for

btw to myPinBalls, how much did you pay for this
Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:40pm
That's a early Sanyo same as my sheriff in a box like that too.
Keep the red paint if you don't mind the dings and get some repro art made up that would look awesome .
Great find
One of two known to exist
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

is this from that irish horde that the seller got greedy for

btw to myPinBalls, how much did you pay for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donkey-Kong-Arcade-Cabinet-/262118224996?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1bK2URioPQRmwFpLn%252FiNVQrgjTU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:06pm
It would be a shame to re-paint the red, it looks like it will clean up well as is. New T-mould along with refreshed metal work & art would make it look very tidy.

Edited by smarty - 24 Nov 2015 at 6:06pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:08pm
Thanks for all the replies so far and the comments on the cabinet. really enjoying taking this apart. I think i will keep the cabinet paint original and with all its 'history' - dings, scrapes and all for now and make sure all the metal work, door, t moulding is as new. Just seems a shame to alter the original paint. Its a really lovely shade of red to and still has quite a sheen to it now cleaned.

Here's a quick pic of after cleaning the speaker slots. 

Managed to get all the dust, spider webs and dead beetles out of it! Will get the metal grill blasted and powered coated and fit a 2-way coaxial single speaker. The more i look at it, the more i like the imperfections. Funny thing is this is a similar type of thought process with older pinball cabs. The newer ones with full stickers, usually get redone, but the older ones that were stencilled i like to leave original.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic