Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

NNC Power supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NNC Power supply
    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
I've got a NNC which was imported from China. I've plugged in SF2HF today and there are some corrupt character sprites. The board is reading 4.6v under load so I've gone to up the +5v but can't for the life of me figure out how?

From what I gather there are supposed to be holes in the side of the PSU with pots for 5v, 12v etc. Mine is completely enclosed though. I've opened up the PSU and the only pot I can get to increases the fan rpm.

Is it impossible to up the voltages on this psu?

big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:13pm
That just looks like a standard PC ATX PSU which you can't usually adjust voltages on.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:24pm
Balls.

I'm happy to but a NAOMI Psu. There looks to be 4 cables/connectors coming off this one into the cab but only 3 on Sun PSU's?
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:05pm
Is the cab JAMMA or JVS wired?
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:07pm
Its a JVS cab with a JVS to Jamma installed
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:23pm
You'd need to find out where each connection from the PSU goes. The Sun PSU just uses splitter cables for all the connections needed, as shown in the pic of one I sold a while ago:

J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:38pm
Cheers. Yours would have been perfect!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:45pm
Long gone, I'm afraid. Be aware that these take a 100-120vac input voltage, so need to be hooked up to a step-down transformer.
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:51pm
Ah ok, Is there anyway of buying a straight 240v Naomi PSU?

I'm a little confused as theres a separate transformer next to the PSU. But the PSU is marked as 240v Wacko I'll get some pics tomorrow

Edited by J69 - 12 Jun 2019 at 10:56pm
IanH View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:48am
you could try an load up the 12v rail abit more with maybe a car brake light bulb, that may put the 5v up if its not drawing much current from the 12 rail. What the 12v read?
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:27am
So the side of the current psu says it can handle 100v or 240v.

Is it likely there's already a step down transformer? I assume the monitor runs on 100v?
davey d View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:50am
That is a computer PSU. It even has the HP logo on the label
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:00am
Yeah, looks like someone has swapped out the original PSU for that one. Is there a big transformer inside the cab? That's usually what's used to power the Sun PSU. Get a pic up.

Edited by big10p - 13 Jun 2019 at 9:00am
jinq-sea View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:39am
Definitely an ATX PSU. Yaton has (had) some JVS PSUs recently.
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:31pm
Here we go then

The psu wires go into 4 connector blocks, but only 2 of them are in use currently. The other 2 are unplugged

The black and white power cables come into the cab from the kettle lead and into this little pcb next to the 220v transformer, along with the power cables from the monitor. They are then rerouted to the psu via a single black and white wire

My question is, can I just swap in a SUN PSU? I can't figure out whether the current PSU is putting out 100v or 240v?

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:49pm
Looking at the sound amp and cabling I'd say that's a bootleg cab. Nothing in there looks Sega to me.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:53pm
The internals may be but the cab is legit Sega and the monitor is a Tosh tri sync flat screen. I'm just trying to figure out how to get an adjustable power supply installed. Is a SUN psu plug and play with the current setup?

Moral of the story, don't trust Yaton

Edited by J69 - 13 Jun 2019 at 3:55pm
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:55pm
It looks like it should do. Transformer should be putting out 100v for the monitor, and also sending that voltage to the psu, so the SUN ones would run off that. I'd stick a multimeter on it just to be sure though.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:56pm
Looks like the ATX is taking a 100-120v from the transformer. ATX PSUs are often switchable between 240v and 120v input. This good news as you should be able to drop a Sun PSU in there, but I'd meter the voltage being fed to the ATX, just to be sure.

It looks like a specially modded ATX that lets you plug the standard JVS power connector into it, instead of the usual kettle lead. Also good news as the connector will probably fit the Sun PSU without modification.

[edit] gah, I took too long to type that, and got beaten to it. LOL

Edited by big10p - 13 Jun 2019 at 3:57pm
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:56pm
I don't like putting a multimeter on mains power since I blew myself up messing with Outrun! Where am I putting the multimeter to check voltage?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic