ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Modern Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Oculus Quest stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oculus Quest stuff
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
Prompted by another thread, I've just got a Quest and am loving it. Really enjoying playing VR pinball. Playing the E.T. pin and having E.T. himself standing by the table watching you as you play is a bit freaky, though. LOL

I have an Amazon Prime account so thought I'd give the Amazon Prime VR app a try, but didn't really see the point of watching stuff on a VR headset. I was pleasantly surprised! Watching TV/movies on the big screen in a virtual Cinema is really pretty cool.

I see it's possible to sideload unofficial content using SideQuest which I'll be trying at some point as there looks to be some great stuff available, including a VR version of the original DOOM which looks like fun!

I'm particularly interested to hear if anyone has linked their Quest to a PC.

Edited by big10p - 19 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:47pm
Yes I Linked my Quest up with a USB C cable and it works well, you'll need to buy the right cable though as the one in the box is only USB2 rated! which does work but at a lower bit rate.

I found that the cable is annoying though. and I now use Virtual Desktop to stream Steam and Oculus Rift games onto my Quest over 5G wifi, this works extremely well for me, maybe even better than the USB cable! however you do need to purchase the app it's around £15 and you still need to sideload the other bit to the quest too, but its well worth the slight hassle.

I also use the SKYBOX Vr app on the Quest which will let you stream 3D movies direct to the headset, this is free and works from network shares too which is a nice bonus :)
Looking for More Space!!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

Yes I Linked my Quest up with a USB C cable and it works well, you'll need to buy the right cable though as the one in the box is only USB2 rated! which does work but at a lower bit rate.

I found that the cable is annoying though. and I now use Virtual Desktop to stream Steam and Oculus Rift games onto my Quest over 5G wifi, this works extremely well for me, maybe even better than the USB cable! however you do need to purchase the app it's around £15 and you still need to sideload the other bit to the quest too, but its well worth the slight hassle.

I also use the SKYBOX Vr app on the Quest which will let you stream 3D movies direct to the headset, this is free and works from network shares too which is a nice bonus :)
Thanks for the tips. Playing untethered over 5G sounds good! I'll definitely have to consider getting a VR capable PC at some point. My current PCs are a bit puny as I haven't been into PC gaming for a long time.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 1:56pm
 OK, I now have SideQuest installed, which is great. I also have Virtual Desktop, but will have to wait until I can afford a VR capable PC before getting into playing Rift games etc.

Any recommendations for a good, budget gaming rig would be appreciated. I don't want to get into building my own as I lost touch with PC hardware long ago - I've no idea if graphics card x is better than graphics card y, for example. Just want something that's going to work out of the box.

I've read that a lot of people are using the Shadow PC cloud gaming service, but there's a waiting list to subscribe to it.

Really enjoying my VR experience so far. I never thought the games that have you waving your arms around and jumping about would be to my liking, but now I'm kind of addicted to Beat Saber. It's just so good! LOL

Edited by big10p - 21 Jul 2020 at 1:58pm
Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:55pm
If you're using Virtual Desktop then go for Nvidia, I had a 5700XT and had loads of issues with it, the AMD ReLive streaming works well but isn't quite as good as Virtual Desktop. For the Quest I'd say you should be good from RTX 2060 and up to play with decent settings, I'm using a 2070 Super and it plays everything great.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Chunksin Chunksin wrote:

If you're using Virtual Desktop then go for Nvidia, I had a 5700XT and had loads of issues with it, the AMD ReLive streaming works well but isn't quite as good as Virtual Desktop. For the Quest I'd say you should be good from RTX 2060 and up to play with decent settings, I'm using a 2070 Super and it plays everything great.
Thanks for the tip!
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:27pm
I built a new PC last year with an i9 9900k CPU and a 2080TI gfx, I was disappointed with the 2080TI so returned it and stuck with my old GTX 980 card until the new 30 series comes out, a year later and I'm still waiting haha.

But the 980 has been able to handle just about everything I've thrown at it for VR stuff and that's across Rift, Index and Quest streaming.
I wouldn't recommend you dash out to get a 980 but if you have something similar it may be enough for VR stuff
Looking for More Space!!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

I built a new PC last year with an i9 9900k CPU and a 2080TI gfx, I was disappointed with the 2080TI so returned it and stuck with my old GTX 980 card until the new 30 series comes out, a year later and I'm still waiting haha.

But the 980 has been able to handle just about everything I've thrown at it for VR stuff and that's across Rift, Index and Quest streaming.
I wouldn't recommend you dash out to get a 980 but if you have something similar it may be enough for VR stuff
Approximately how much did the PC you built cost, if you don't mind saying? My jaw keeps dropping when I look up the price of things, so I think I'm going to have to wait a while on this.
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:15pm
I went a bit overboard with some of things but excluding the Graphics card it was around £1900
the 2080ti was an extra £1200.
I assume the new card will be similar price!!

I had the spare cash at the time and rather than waste it on silly things I thought I'll spend it on something I'll use every day

you really don't need to spend anything like that for VR gaming, I built my PC for 4K gaming

You can see most of the parts on this list Case was tricky to get so there's no price for that on the list

Edited by Brettster - 22 Jul 2020 at 11:29pm
Looking for More Space!!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:11am
Wow, that must be a great gaming rig. I'm still considering subscibing to Shadow PC instead. Apparently the waiting time may not be as bad as I thought. I'm not in any hurry really, anyway.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:31am
Build a Ryzen based PC, and wait for the new GPUs to appear later this year, skip the Nvidia 20 series as they really didn't bring all that much, and at a terrible price. So pick up a 980/1080 to pass the time, or just wait till later this year, as the new Ryzen 4 series chips will be out then too, along with the new high end AMD GPUs, should help shake the market and the prices.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
I don't have the knowledge, time or inclination to build my own. Lost touch with PC hardware years ago.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 7:21pm
While it should work ok, it's 6 generations old, and you'll need to replace the Motherboard, Ram and Cpu if you want to upgrade it later down the line. the 1650Graphics card is about the lowest spec for decent VR stuff. it would be worth spending a bit more for a more up to date used machine.

I'm sure one will come along on here for sale as people will be upgrading in the next few months I'm sure
Looking for More Space!!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 7:27pm
OK, thanks Brett.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic