Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Operation wolf green screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operation wolf green screen
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:29pm
https://youtu.be/MZl11WnbcNw

Hi All,

Anyone one have a clue what could be happening here?
Things checked so far.
- All voltages from switching power supply seem fine.
- monitor and chassis working properly also good colours when plugged into my SF2 jamma cab.

Thanks guys.
scubawaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:10pm
https://youtu.be/CAmf_lJI-EI

Here's a video when it's in test mode so I'm really thinking it's the PCB.
VectorGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 4:47pm
Ignore - instead please see my post further down.

Edited by VectorGlow - 13 Sep 2017 at 9:58pm
RSman21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSman21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:23pm
That's helpful

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:44pm
What I originally typed was very helpful ..... but I thought I'd had a "brain fart" and that Op Wolf used a certain type of custom RGB output chip but that I was mis-remembering, some boards use three separate custom chips of a different type. I thought that my original post would only confuse matters as it may not be relevant to the above Op Wolf issue, but if anyone really wants to see it then here it is (note: only applies to Taito boards which use the TC0070RGB custom RGB module, games such as Chase HQ, Rainbow Islands and a few others):

"If you're 100% certain that it's not the monitor, wiring, power etc then it's likely to be the Taito custom RGB module on the lower board. It looks like this:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/4/45/RI6.jpg

These fail quite often, either internally or because the module has been repeatedly knocked and pins are starting to break (sometimes the module itself breaks and can develop a hairline crack). It also may NOT be that, other chips on the board could be causing problems, but it's the most likely cause.

If the module is internally faulty then it may be possible to repair it (I've repaired a number over the years) but it depends on the cause. Often a surface mounted transistor fails (there's one for each colour) and it's possible, with a lot of care, to use a Dremel to remove a small amount of the module's potting compound to de-solder the replace the transistor(s).

If it's beyond repair then a modern alternative is available (developed and sold by Macro on this forum). It works very well (I've fitted a few of them too).

Having stated all the above (that's just a general FYI) in your case I think that the green output transistor in the RGB module is failing and increasing the Green output as you obviously have Red and Blue too (I've seen this before with either the Red or Blue outputs, so in some cases there has been too much Red, sometimes too much Blue)."

Further to the above, on doing some checking I see that some Op Wolf main boards use the above chip, while others use three smaller custom chips.

@Scubawaz - please can you take a look at the main board and see if it has the chip as pictured above. If not then you should see that it instead has three rectangular vertical modules, please let me know what is printed on those. It may be PC040DA

Alternatively, maybe you could upload a photo of the lower board please, specifically showing those chips.

Apologies for my earlier message retraction - it's been a tiring day and I meant to replace my deleted message with this but 'real life' got in the way.

Edited by VectorGlow - 13 Sep 2017 at 9:58pm
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:51pm
rsman21 only joined just over an hour ago looking at his profile

Edited by stegrey - 13 Sep 2017 at 9:52pm
>>>SteG<<<
Wanted: Paperboy cab,Outrun full size upright

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by stegrey stegrey wrote:

So I saw. Even so, his post reminded me that I had meant to properly update my 'ignore' post. Or, in this case, add a new one.

Edited by VectorGlow - 13 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by VectorGlow VectorGlow wrote:

So I saw. Even so, his post reminded me that I had meant to properly update my post.

seems crazy for a first post unless his op wolf has the same fault
I like reading these threads even though i havent got a clue
>>>SteG<<<
Wanted: Paperboy cab,Outrun full size upright

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by VectorGlow VectorGlow wrote:

So I saw. Even so, his post reminded me that I had meant to properly update my post.

seems crazy for a first post unless his op wolf has the same fault
I like reading these threads even though i havent got a clue

That's great - the more you read the more you learn and having an interest is a fine starting point. Big smile
Baiterhater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baiterhater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by RSman21 RSman21 wrote:

That's helpful

First post on a forum and you introduce yourself like this ? f**king knob

j

scubawaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:08pm
Thank you vectorglow for taking your time to write that up. I will post a few photos ASAP.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:20pm
Thanks. If you can see the black rectangular modules that I've referred to please try and get a photo showing any numbers/letters that are printed on them. If that's not possible please write them down and add to the post. Smile
scubawaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm
scubawaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
Hi vectorglow

There is only two of them funky looking parts on the board and would you recommend changing them and if so would you happen to know where I can obtain them?

Thank you again for your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:45am
The PC050CM in your first photo is for coin input related functions. It's the larger TC0070RGB which handles the RGB output. The only place you'll find a replacement is other Taito boards which use the same chip (or the modern substitute made by Macro (he posts here)).

At this stage though I would say to send the boardset to a repairer - various people on this forum repair arcade boards including myself, but you can of course use whoever you like. It may be possible to repair the RGB module itself, there could also be a another issue on the board which is causing the problem. However given your findings I think it's more likely that the module is faulty, quite probably a bad output transistor which handles the Green (which can be replaced as I noted in my reply further up in this thread).

It is though possible that it's not the TC0070RGB at fault, but it's the first port of call in this situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic