Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Trade Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Orig R.Type for Orig Starforce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Funhouse71 Funhouse71 wrote:

If Gauntlet wasn't hassle enough to convert to Jamma I managed to converted an Atari System one mainboard to Jamma which had +5 grounding for joystick controls for Indiana Jones as opposed to Jamma having GND for controls on the PCB. I ended up using fast acting reed relays to get round the problem I added reed relays onto my Jamma adapter so when they are grounded the +5v output pins supply the required +5v to the mainboard. 

The mainboard and cartridge combined were huge so like Gauntlet they currently stick outside of the cabinet due to the Jamma harness not being long enough. 

Someone needs to create an Atari Sys1 Multi, bet it would fit in your hand
Collector for 25 years - New from '92 - Electrocoin Xenon SFII CE - Over 150 original PCBs - Darksoft Multi CPS2/Taito F3/Neo Geo/Irem M72/Sega Sys16/Namco Sys1 - JROK multi Williams
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by LHantz LHantz wrote:

Good luck with that!
 LOL

Tell me about it, just thought if I offer to help others someone might look after me so i can be free of work stressSleepy hate it

I'd give Moomoo R-Type board as well if I win tonight or Sat, anything so I don't have to work any more

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by Funhouse71 Funhouse71 wrote:

If Gauntlet wasn't hassle enough to convert to Jamma I managed to converted an Atari System one mainboard to Jamma which had +5 grounding for joystick controls for Indiana Jones as opposed to Jamma having GND for controls on the PCB. I ended up using fast acting reed relays to get round the problem I added reed relays onto my Jamma adapter so when they are grounded the +5v output pins supply the required +5v to the mainboard. 

The mainboard and cartridge combined were huge so like Gauntlet they currently stick outside of the cabinet due to the Jamma harness not being long enough. 

Someone needs to create an Atari Sys1 Multi, bet it would fit in your hand

Someone's already working on one, the prototype was posted on here a while ago. Not sure whatever happened to it.
moomootown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moomootown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Good luck with that!
 LOL

Tell me about it, just thought if I offer to help others someone might look after me so i can be free of work stressSleepy hate it

I'd give Moomoo R-Type board as well if I win tonight or Sat, anything so I don't have to work any more

I hope you do win !
Wanted: Virtua Cop 1 cab / Point Blank 3 PCB
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by vib_ribbon vib_ribbon wrote:

I know! All the times I saw it listed for less than £50...

checked my emails. i bought mine 2007 from ebay for £30+£10p&p. still have it, played it the other day in fact.

iirc, there are 2 versions. one with mono sound where only half the audio section is populated on the board, and a stereo version. mine's the former unfortunately.

If it's still broken send it over and I will fix it.  I just got Starforce off a kind person on UKVAC.  I didn't realise how fun it was until i played tested it and ended up playing until it was dark.  Love the way you have to redo the level if you can't kill the boss.  Need to check which version is mine but i dont have stereo on any of my cabs or test rigs so in doubt it matters.  Besides I have a punctured ear drum so even stereo sounds mono to me LOL
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:47am
No luck last night one number off £800 again 2 digits out aghh, only 2 out of 5 for jackpot, another weekend of crap at work it is then lol, fingers crossed Sat

Just waiting for 800 quid win so it aint cost nothing to keep playing, dont like throwing money away. main lotto waste of time after they added 10 more balls, hardly anyone wins 5 and bonus or 6 since and £2 a go too much so i just do hotpicks

Oh well at least football was good result
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Vamino View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

checked my emails. i bought mine 2007 from ebay for £30+£10p&p. still have it, played it the other day in fact.

iirc, there are 2 versions. one with mono sound where only half the audio section is populated on the board, and a stereo version. mine's the former unfortunately.

If it's still broken send it over and I will fix it.  I just got Starforce off a kind person on UKVAC.  I didn't realise how fun it was until i played tested it and ended up playing until it was dark.  Love the way you have to redo the level if you can't kill the boss.  Need to check which version is mine but i dont have stereo on any of my cabs or test rigs so in doubt it matters.  Besides I have a punctured ear drum so even stereo sounds mono to me LOL

@Monstermug

I bought the one off Mysticmonk, but it had a lot of work done to bypass the failed custom. Originally it played with game breaking glitches and then the sound went a bit funny. I sent it off to Ace who had a look at it for me in a trade we did, he fixed the graphics but the sound effects are mixed up now.

Is that something you have come across before mate?
It's one of my favourite games and I'd like to get it back up and running if possible.

Thanks.
Insert Coin[s]
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:29am
Sorry to hear that, vamino, I'm sure someone can fix it up
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:44pm
They still have Starforce tournaments in Japan.

Every arcade I went to had Starforce, and it was always being played by Japanese businessmen.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:51pm
Has anyone ever managed to get one of the mega bonuses hidden in Starforce?
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by mysticmonk mysticmonk wrote:

Sorry to hear that, vamino, I'm sure someone can fix it up

No worries at all mate, I bought it knowing it had issues and it's almost there now. Smile
I have a non working boot to fall back on as well, it's definitely a keeper for me.
Insert Coin[s]
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:38pm
Starforce is the best vertical scrolling shooter bar none
It was incredible in its day and it’s incredible today
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm
You can see that Alpha Mission II was influenced by Star Force

Edited by neo-geo-mvs - 12 Jul 2021 at 5:51pm
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:51pm
Just noticed there's a version for the Switch. Reviews seem to have missed how good it is. Playing with a joypad's less than ideal, I guess.
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

Starforce is the best vertical scrolling shooter bar none
It was incredible in its day and it’s incredible today

My local arcade had the dip switches on hardest, a few stages in and it was akin to a bullet hell shooter of the 90's, especially when the Clyon type craft come straight down and the sweep across on the same plane as your ship. Just like Time Pilot, the game is amazing on hardest setting!

I've never gotten the Cleopatra bonus myself, but once I get one of mine sorted I'll be putting some streaming hours into it to try and get to the infinity levels. Think level 20 or so is my highest, dunno for sure as it's been a while since I played it!
Insert Coin[s]
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by neo-geo-mvs neo-geo-mvs wrote:

You can see that Alpha Mission II was influenced by Star Force

One of the reasons I was drawn into playing the original ASO/Alpha mission was it's striking similarity to Star Force. The only thing that lets ASO down is slightly larger than normal collision detection, I like to play both but Star Force has the edge for gameplay imo.
Insert Coin[s]
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

@Monstermug

I bought the one off Mysticmonk, but it had a lot of work done to bypass the failed custom. Originally it played with game breaking glitches and then the sound went a bit funny. I sent it off to Ace who had a look at it for me in a trade we did, he fixed the graphics but the sound effects are mixed up now.

Is that something you have come across before mate?
It's one of my favourite games and I'd like to get it back up and running if possible.

Thanks.

I've never had to fix a star force before.  Like all sound faults, you need an audio probe to quickly work out if it's an analogue or digital fault.  What do you mean by sound effects mixed up? Playing the wrong sound effects or just corrupted and missing?
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:18pm
When you press fire the extra life sound effect plays or something along those lines.
I'll see if I can dig out the PCB and take a quick movie mate.
Insert Coin[s]
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:32pm
My Op Wolf pcb when it started with issues had sound problems, it would just randomly play the Pig noises and others at any point in game. Not sure if I sorted that board or not

Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:58pm

When I first booted up the game the sound was much worse and there was a bit of glitching going on for a minute or 2. Once it warmed up a bit the sound got a bit better but as you can hear it's not right.

I'm hoping one day I can play it properly, but until then in the large box of faulty PCB's it goes. Cry
Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic