ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Outrun Deluxe (Turbo De-conversion) Restoration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun Deluxe (Turbo De-conversion) Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Deluxe (Turbo De-conversion) Restoration
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:12pm
Pre-face to the thread, for me acquiring the below machine has been a dream for just shy of 20 years, I understand a lot of people would have wanted an Outrun from playing them in the 80's  but I was not born until 85. My desire for an Outrun Deluxe came from the game Shenmue on the Dreamcast. The machine features prominently in the game (and is playable) and to me really represents the height of SEGA in that Crazy Japanese bubble era period.

So as some of you will have seen on slack, I was able after several years of trying to purchase what must have been one of the last Outruns still on site in the UK (as far as I know). I had seen as several others had over the years this poor neglected Outrun Deluxe in an Arcade in Kent.

The machine has been sat like that not working for at least 10 years, and looking at the machine I would guess it has not been used for a lot longer. I heard the arcade was closing in March and began trying to secure the machine. After a lot of effort I went on a 300 mile round trip with a tail lift van and brought her home!

This thread will document the process of restoring this fantastic machine, it's going to be a lot work and I will start by documenting tearing it down and working out what needs replacing fixing painting etc. First on the list is a screen as sadly the one it had was non original and completely ruined.

I am in the process of converting my garage into an office/games room so the machine will be stripped and and stored for a month or two while the conversion is done. However I will be able to work on the stripped parts during this time.

Hopefully this will be interesting to someone and I can get some help with what I am sure will be several questions.
channel27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:49pm
Nice!

Was that from Talk of the Town in Herne Bay?
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by channel27 channel27 wrote:

Nice!

Yes it was.

Edited by clarkey - 05 Jul 2018 at 7:08pm
wim outrun repro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:20pm
Hi, cool you have it now. And will bring it back to life.
If you,are in need of the marquee ,between the rear lights.
I made a reproduction of it .
Cheers wim outrun
Tedward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:25pm
Oh wow! Really nice to see something was saved from Talk Of The Town
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by wim outrun repro wim outrun repro wrote:

Hi, cool you have it now. And will bring it back to life.
If you,are in need of the marquee ,between the rear lights.
I made a reproduction of it .
Cheers wim outrun

Good to know, the one it has does have a nasty gouge in. I will try to remove it but if that does not work I will let you know!
wim outrun repro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:45pm
If you are in need of rare parts. That are broken i can repro. Most of non elektric parts. But need the broken part to repro it.
Cheers wim outrun
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by wim outrun repro wim outrun repro wrote:

If you are in need of rare parts. That are broken i can repro. Most of non elektric parts. But need the broken part to repro it.
Cheers wim outrun

Thanks good to know, I will need a new shifter plate, mine is absolutely ruined.

Edited by clarkey - 05 Jul 2018 at 9:10pm
Mykill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mykill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:31pm
Very nice score
Don't touch the red wire
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:35am
Damn I'm so torn about un-turboing it :)
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:41am
What a great save. 
Outrun DLX is the best.

You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 6:49am
Originally posted by tin tin wrote:

Damn I'm so torn about un-turboing it :)

Don’t worry I intend to rebuild the turbo shifter as well and have the topper. I would eventually hope to have two boardsets one turbo one normal.
P
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:35am
Nice get. Love these cabs.

Get that topper scanned in if you can as it's extremely rare, or I'll do it and cover the post both ways. Smile
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
vib_ribbon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm
beautiful. good luck with the resto.
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Nice get. Love these cabs.

Get that topper scanned in if you can as it's extremely rare, or I'll do it and cover the post both ways. Smile

I was going to get in touch with you, I can’t find anytthing about it or other pictures online so assumed it was pretty rare. I wondered if it was even officially made by sega but it’s extrnely well printed so i am guessing it is.

Would be nice to have it reproduced so other turbos can have one.
channel27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by clarkey clarkey wrote:

Originally posted by channel27 channel27 wrote:

Nice!

Yes it was.

Great! I'm glad someone managed to save it.
Good luck with the resto Big smile
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:10pm

I was going to get in touch with you, I can’t find anytthing about it or other pictures online so assumed it was pretty rare. I wondered if it was even officially made by sega but it’s extrnely well printed so i am guessing it is.

Nice one Thumbs Up
Yes, it's a particularly rare piece that one. Possibly only an optional extra with a conversion kit, or just something that got robbed right away when these cabs went out.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:51pm
Well done on getting it, years back when I visited I sat in it, wishing it worked.  Amazed that all these years on that topper had not been nicked despite it just sitting there.  Mind you it was easily viewable from the cash desk in there, so not something someone would get away with easily.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
clarkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Nice one Thumbs Up
Yes, it's a particularly rare piece that one. Possibly only an optional extra with a conversion kit, or just something that got robbed right away when these cabs went out.

Cool, we can sort in PM.

Originally posted by Bensonrad Bensonrad wrote:

Well done on getting it, years back when I visited I sat in it, wishing it worked.  Amazed that all these years on that topper had not been nicked despite it just sitting there.  Mind you it was easily viewable from the cash desk in there, so not something someone would get away with easily.

Luckily it was screwed on to a little makeshift plinth so I think that helped, still it would only have taken 30 seconds to remove it. I saw some of your pics ages ago when it had metal hawk next to it.

Cheers everyone else for the comments, will start updating the thread with pics. It may get a bit pic heavy. Can't wait to really make a start on it now.

Tedward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:07pm
If I remember correctly, Talk Of The Town also had a deluxe Metal Hawk that sat there in the corner switched off, though I don't think it was there in more recent years. Did you see it while getting the OutRun DLX?

Edited by Tedward - 06 Jul 2018 at 9:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic