Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun Fan Failiure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Fan Failiure
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:08am
Good Morning All 

My Fan on the back of my Outrun full upright is failing, its making a terrible loud noise and also while on is causing the screen to slightly jump up and down a little.

Does anyone know where i can get one of these from?

Also can i play the game whilst the fan is not in operation? the cab is stored in my house right now so is not dipping in temp.

Regards Simon
Chopper79 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:21am
Just unplug the fan. Not really needed. All they do is suck in all the dirt and dust, and cover the inside of machine. The fan is not anywhere near the gameboard anyway, so not sure what purpose it serves.

If you really want to keep it, I have a brand new fan. You would need to measure the distance between mounting holes.
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:21am
I leave mine permanently disconnected and have never had any problems. In fact, I've done the same in all the Sega cabs. 

I also replaced the fluorescent tube with an LED equivalent which generates less heat in the top of the cab. 
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

Just unplug the fan. Not really needed. All they do is suck in all the dirt and dust, and cover the inside of machine. The fan is not anywhere near the gameboard anyway, so not sure what purpose it serves.

If you really want to keep it, I have a brand new fan. You would need to measure the distance between mounting holes.

Hi Chopper

thank you, i am happy to leave it disconnected if all works fine thanks 
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

I leave mine permanently disconnected and have never had any problems. In fact, I've done the same in all the Sega cabs. 

I also replaced the fluorescent tube with an LED equivalent which generates less heat in the top of the cab. 

Thank you thats great

when you say about the tube are you referring to the one that lights up the Outrun Sign at the Top of the cab?

if so anywhere special to get the LED Bulb?

Thanks Simon 
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:36am
I used a bog-standard 400mm LED strip-light from CPC.

I found that the ballast on the original lighting added a small wobble to the top of the monitor image. 

I kept all the connectors and fixings identical in terms of the amp plugs and how it screws in, so that the original can be swapped back in, if someone in the future decides they want to discolour the marquee with a hot light behind it!

sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

I used a bog-standard 400mm LED strip-light from CPC.

I found that the ballast on the original lighting added a small wobble to the top of the monitor image. 

I kept all the connectors and fixings identical in terms of the amp plugs and how it screws in, so that the original can be swapped back in, if someone in the future decides they want to discolour the marquee with a hot light behind it!

Excellent thank you i will go for that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic