Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Maintenance
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:01am
Good Morning All 

First off i want to thank everyone for there help and support on this site.

Im Going through my Outrun Upright Can trying to get it in better shape, currently the Accelerator Pedal and Gear Lever are very stiff and squeeky and wondering what would be the best thing to use to try and resolve this.

Regards Simon
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:14am
I'd recommend removing both from the machine and giving them a good clean, removing all grease and dust then replacing any obviously worn components. If this has never been done before, I imagine both will be in a bit of a state. 

I've found dismantling the pedals and the stick and then cleaning each component individually gives the best result. You may also want to replace the springs in the gear-lever which have a tendency to weaken over time. 

neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:41am
I remember taking the pedal assembly out of my first cab (Scud Race), I couldn't believe the amount of dirt, fluff, metal shearing, crap, cig butts, etc etc. The difference was very noticeable.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

I'd recommend removing both from the machine and giving them a good clean, removing all grease and dust then replacing any obviously worn components. If this has never been done before, I imagine both will be in a bit of a state. 

I've found dismantling the pedals and the stick and then cleaning each component individually gives the best result. You may also want to replace the springs in the gear-lever which have a tendency to weaken over time. 

This is excellent thank you, any special cleaning products used or spray to add to/clean these?

Thanks Simon
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:47am
I'm sure everyone has their personal preferences - you can use an automotive degreaser if things are really bad!

But just a stiff brush and a bucket of hot soapy water should be fine once removed from the cab.
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:14pm
Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner - in my opinion there's no degreaser that can touch it (when agitated with a brush)

If things were squeaky that suggests they were dry and unlubricated

Once things are cleaned up a bit of grease works great on steering gears and pedal potentiometers (and the sliding plastic "bearing" that the shake motor operates)
Any smaller moving parts would respond well to a lighter lube that "creeps" such as WD40
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:32pm
Its better to just pull it out and give it a good go through.

You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:38am
Good Morning All

i managed to order the new NOS Springs from Arcade fix it, when they arrive and i fit them is it recommended to put anything on them to make them run smoother or just fit and leave as they are?

Thanks Simon
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:40am
You won't need anything on the springs themselves. It's only where you've got  two components moving against each other that a bit of lube helps

But as Nurtuo has suggested - the only way to do a proper job is to strip and rebuild everything
(Nice job by the way - I got my parts equally clean but those chrome pedals are a joy to behold!)
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 9:11am
The NOS Springs should have an oil on the surface to stop rust from forming anyway.

It's well worth using those springs because you will get a good steering return.

I have just finished my Pole Position Steering Rebuild and it's great doing this stuff.

Edited by nurtuo - 16 Sep 2019 at 9:12am
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 5:22am
Hey Guys

looking to paint the wood underneath the steering panel, any ideas on what paint to use for this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic