Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun Mini Major Restore!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Mini Major Restore!
    Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:17pm
I don't even know where to start with this one LOL  It'll be a good test of skill...

Bought the cab back in November, and it was dead on arrival.  I only breifly looked over it until other things got in the way, Christmas came etc.. 

After clearing some space, I decided to start this mammoth job.   

I needed to see it working before I stripped it down and so looked over the wires again, checking for loose connections.  I happened to check all the crimps and noticed that one of the power wires was barely touching it's spade connection.
So a snip and reconnect and...

Power!   Everything worked!   Speakers, marquee light, button lights, pedals, steering - I couldn't believe it!

So I turn my attention to the sorry cab itself:

Busted kick board:

Rough cig burned and cracked dash:

So the good points are that the machine works, and works fairly well!  No burn on screen, marquee is clean and only a slight bit of flaking from the bezel.

The bad:  erm...  FILTHY!  Kickplate is knackered, base looks a bit iffy, metalwork all needs power coating, the dash is in major need of repair.

The sideart is shocking :(    It's stenciled on, and doesn't seem like any protection on it - so, with a wipe, it'll come off.
Scars all over the sides..  You get the idea.

Help! Confused

Edited by itruk - 06 May 2017 at 12:57pm

WANTS:

Playchoice 10 Games
- please PM me :)
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:30pm
If it was me I would wipe off the red sega side art and just have plain black sides. It would look much neater like that.
That picture looks good.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
BarrySlisk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarrySlisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:13pm
ianski View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:36pm
Awesome result that its working, you've saved a good sum on repairs ;)

I am still thinking about making stencils for mine as I don't like the sideart on UK machines, im a bit of a stickler with things like that.

This should be a very rewarding restore, stick with it and each time one part has been tackled you'll get a nice feeling inside.
Actually its not that bad nick to start with.
Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
dlightbulb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlightbulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ianski ianski wrote:

Awesome result that its working, you've saved a good sum on repairs ;)

I am still thinking about making stencils for mine as I don't like the sideart on UK machines, im a bit of a stickler with things like that.

This should be a very rewarding restore, stick with it and each time one part has been tackled you'll get a nice feeling inside.
Actually its not that bad nick to start with.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was too bad! You're lucky the steering is all working too - I had to fix all that on mine and that was quite a job in the end

I love this cab
mozie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:18pm
I used a matte black vinyl on mine and it turned out very well once the correct prep is done, might get the sideart at some stage but as its not really seen where the cab currently sits ill leave it for the moment. The dash plastics will be difficult to sort but not impossible. Heres my restore.
http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83239&title=outrun-cabaret
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:32pm
Personally, I don't think the sides look too bad, far too many of these mini cabs seem to have their sides painted black or stickers put on, I'd be keeping that original side art and look to clean it up best as can be.  Its not like you get to see much side art when cabs are next to each other anyhow. Great news though that it was an easy fix to get it up and running.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Track & Field or Hyper Sports cab, Exterminator & Arkanoid set ups+Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:42pm
great stuff, Did I read on here the other day that Ordyne was working on getting some replica dash plastics made?

Looking for More Space!!
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:20pm
That can is in fantastic condition compared to mine when I started the restoration. Beyond sorting the base and dash plastic I think you're in a pretty good place.
Wanted: More Faulty Sega PCBs! :-D
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:15am
I have the red & black side art here
http://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/outrun-mini-cabaret-red-black-sega-art/

I could quite easily do that as a stencil package now I've got this double thick vinyl. I could die-cut around all the red areas but it would be quite flimsy around the thin black vertical stripes.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
ianski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

I have the red & black side art here
http://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/outrun-mini-cabaret-red-black-sega-art/

I could quite easily do that as a stencil package now I've got this double thick vinyl. I could die-cut around all the red areas but it would be quite flimsy around the thin black vertical stripes.

Please yes do this Olly - you have 1 customer!
Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:56pm
Thanks guys.  I've got some ideas with what to do with the sides, but I can't just leave them as they are.
The red art is still visible, but there are a number of large scars where something has been dragged along and up. It just looks a bit scruffy for my liking.

Done a bit of a tear down last night. Aiming to get the metal work to a local power coater next week, repair the wood work and take a look at repairing the dash.

Monitor hasn't been cleaned in a while:

Metal work put up a small fight since the screws had seized/rusted beyond beind screws anymore:

Removed the two lots of rubber matting, which had been recovered:

Need to try to source some more grey stuff!

Also removing the t-molding, leaves the slot quite loose and knackered some gunned in some grip fill/panel adhesive into the slot ready for re-routering.
It sets extremley hard so once set and routered, it'll be a good tight fit for the new molding.

Going to do a bit of wood work now :)

WANTS:

Playchoice 10 Games
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:10pm
Plodding along with this quite happily..  Dropped of my metal work (trims, coin door) at the power coater along with my pedals for a blast to clean them up.

Cut some ply for the base and kickplate:

Primed and painted these and then stuck some inch x inch timbers around the edges and screwed and pilot holed them where needed to make it easier to fit..

Removed the psu etc.. and soon as I removed the kickplate, I only had to look at the base and it just gave up:

Then fitted the new:

Now since the cab is on it's side, it's quite a handy work bench to tackle repair the cracked and burned dash..

Oh, and the abused gear shifter:

Ouch

WANTS:

Playchoice 10 Games
AaronBoone View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronBoone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:44pm
Jesus. Is that one of the ones that Ian Eason/Maxxgrab imported from Coin-op Warehouse?
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:57pm
I might be able to help you out here.  I have some dash plastics that are less damaged, but have been painted black
_Matt_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:07pm
If it was mine I would try to just give the sides a touch up as best you can. Yeah they don't look pretty, but that is the original art that belongs to the cab and part of its history. Once it's gone it's gone.
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:22pm
Impressive woodwork skills so far! Look forward to reading the rest of the thread. 

The bases on these minis are a nightmare. Took me ages to get all the bolts and screws removed on mine! Looks like yours were so rusted they just fell out, which might be a bonus in some respects!!!

Edited by dj_yt - 09 May 2017 at 10:25pm
Wanted: More Faulty Sega PCBs! :-D
mozie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:10am
I've also got some of the grey ribbed matting for the footwell if you want some,  I had to buy a large roll for mine.
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:01am
We all would like minty cabs but I thought things were more valuable when all original, so always leave things when possible

The sides on these are a pain when they look tired, think I would sort them out of when you can do it so it looks original, specially if your going to have other cabs each side so you wont really see it, if your having it away from others then really it needs something doing

Good to see it getting the love it deserves thoughThumbs Up
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Bit of an update from during the evenings of the week..

I needed the shifter plate to be straight so I can get an idea of how the shifter area of the dash is supposed to go, since it's cracked and slightly warped from burns.

So striped the shifter down and placed the plate in a vice to get it back somewhere near..

Not bad!

Then if I'm needed to do some filling of the dash, using the plate as a template, I need to tape the edges so I don't stick them together!

I nearly didn't realise that the plate has a top and bottom, since the slot is sligtly of center!

Before I attacked the dash, I gave it all a good wipe down and took it to my local car body shop and asked them to colour match the silver for me and make me up a couple of rattle can's worth.

Now using the same stuff that I gunned into the t-molding slot, my attention turned to sticking the dash back together.
Thin bead of adhesive to each side, and taped and straped it together. Then left to set till the next evening.

Then straped (the now straight) plate to the dash and applied some fibreglass and automotive filler where needed to get the profile back to how it was..

after attacking it with my mouse sander and some cussing later, it was getting there!

The real test to show any imperfections is by getting some primer put on..

The filler showed up just a couple of small areas around the shifter section, some applied some fine 2-pack stopper filler and then sanded/primed again.

Gonna try to get some silver on this afternoon Smile

Edited by itruk - 13 May 2017 at 2:19pm

WANTS:

Playchoice 10 Games
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic