ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun monitor missing colour?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfoster417360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun monitor missing colour?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:44pm
Hi,

I have an outrun standard upright and colours are not right on the crt test screen. Someone said on fb looks like blue is missing. So if thats the case i want to check what is at fault and if its the pcb, chassis or tube first of all.

Im thinking of plugging in a 60 in 1 check pattern generator first of all to test the monitor and tube to rule out the outrun pcb.

So far:
Adjust flyback, neckboard pots, contrast / brightness.
Flyback and caps on chassis have been recently replaced

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm488mbhxb0yi2h/20211121_201146.jpg?dl=0

Regards,

Stephen

Chopper79 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:59pm
Was it ok before, or has this just happened? Doubtful it's a fly back issue. Maybe someone can test the board for you, to rule it out. What chassis does it have?

Check the RGB cables from the pcb to the chassis. Wires can break in sockets, or poor contact on pins.

Edited by Chopper79 - 23 Nov 2021 at 2:02pm
sfoster417360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfoster417360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:35pm
Checked continuity of RGB ground, sync from pcb to monitor chassis and all ok.

Was like it when i bought and told prob just neck board. Only had it for a week.

Ive tried changing all neck pots while on and its definately the blue channel not doing anything at all.

Will hook up another known good gameboard to to monitor via the rgb and sync inputs and see to rule out the game pcb.

Any other suggestion let me know. See if i can take some pics.

smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
Yes do have all three colours getting to the monitor, you wouldn’t see any white if a colour was missing.

I’ve taken a snip from MAME to show how the pattern should look.

jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:32pm
Yes, the colours just look wrong, rather than anything missing. Board fault?
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
either tube is buggered or game board is the issue
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 11:42am
colour pallet roms receiving bad logic

was watching a punch out repair last night

bad pallet …

bad data      you would need the schimatics
and probe the pcb from cpu through to the
colour video out section

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfoster417360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:45pm
Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am making a testing kit for game board that i can connect to a known good flat monitor / scart and a test signal generator to plug into monitor chassis. Ideas ive seen from RGP and retro clinic videos.

Also just wondered if anyone can confirm the chassis from the pic, i thinks its a WG k7000.

tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:30pm
Yeah it's a k7000 with 8 pin minineck crt. Probably a Philips or WG's own labelled crt (I think the WG labelled ones were made by Orion).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfoster417360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 10:38pm
Thanks for confirming, its a philips tube. Will be doing some testing over weekend to see whats causing colour issues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfoster417360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 35 minutes ago at 9:25pm
Ok so i've rigged up a test pattern generator to the k7000 chassis of the outrun and blue is definately out or very low. Adjusring the blue pot on the back of the neck makes no difference to the picture. Red and green adjust all ok.

So its now the chassis or the tube. Is there a quick test to check the tube, i heard grounding the inputs for a few secs??? here is pic of test pattern.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic