Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun - No sound.....help! (SORTED)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun - No sound.....help! (SORTED)
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 11:41pm
Hello,

When it rains it pours......I just got my Blast City working and now my Outrun has no sound. Frustrating hobby!

It was working perfectly around a month ago and then went into storage while I had my room built. I gave it a light clean yesterday and then moved it into the room tonight. I switched it on and straight away it tripped the sockets (this is a US machine on a step down). I reset the circuit board and then switched it back on. Picture fired up fine, but no sound at all. I let it warm up, but still nothing.

I am a bit of a notice (and learning!), so I don't know where to start testing to see what is wrong. Giving that it blew the fuse, I am wondering if something blew on the sound board, but no idea how to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by JAG555 - 11 Feb 2017 at 9:12pm
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 11:49pm
Could be the Power supply, you will need a multimeter and a copy of the manual, should be easy to find on google
and with the power on carefully check the voltages are correct

could also be worth checking any fuses, Post some close up pics of the power in the bottom of the cab
or maybe we have a member close by who could give you a hand
Looking for More Space!!
JAG555 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 10:58pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have taken some pictures of the bottom board below. I have a multimeter coming tomorrow and I already have a copy if the manual.

I am wondering if it is the fuse, as it tripped when I turned it on first time. However, your suggestion about the power supply might also be correct, as I do have a slight monitor picture shake, which I have been told could be caused by the power supply.

Does anyone have any suggestion or experience with the Outrun fuses?

Thanks in advance

photo upload
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:20pm
1/ Check all fuses

2/ Check the audio amp is getting 12v or so. 

3/ What happens if you turn the volume up? Does the hum get louder? Chances are the amp is working. 

4/ What happens if you take audio straight off the PCB headers? Do you hear anything? You could wire the PCB audio output direct to a small speaker or similar to check. 

JAG555 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
Many thanks for the reply. Still waiting for a multi-meter to arrive, but I replaced the fuse (the one nearest the front) that blew and new fuses keep blowing every time I turn the power on (I have tried both 3 and 5 amp - the original fuse was 4 amp).

Any idea what could be causing this? A power issue?

I have turned the volume up and there is no hum from the speakers. I will wait for the multi-meter and test the voltages, but any other suggestions would be appreciated? I would like to avoid re-wiring the PCB if possible, but if needs must.

Thanks
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:06pm
If you keep blowing the fuses then you have a short somewhere. could be a faulty component or foreign object has fallen into the psu or other exposed part, melted wires, could be lots of things
first I would follow the wires from the blown fuse and see what it connects to
give the wires and the thing they connect to a close examination (with the power off)
Looking for More Space!!
JAG555 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:01pm
Hello,

Just a quick update and fresh request for help.......newbie help required!

It seems I might need reading glasses, as I mis-read the fuse that had blown, as a 4 amp. In fact the fuse was a 6 1/4 amp, slow blow. I thought that might be the issue, but after trying these just now, the fuse still blows.

I am still awaiting a multimeter to be delivered, but I have checked all of the connections to and from the fuse and nothing seems out of place. The fuse also looks like it is connected in series with the other fuses (see picture above) and as stated before everything else on the machine is working correctlay.

Apart from the multimeter checking, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Regarding the multimeter, do I just want to check the sound amp or the PSU too?

Any help for a newbie greatly appreciated. Outrun without the sound is like Pacman without the Ghosts!
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:32pm
- You need to figure out what the fuse is connected to. Use the wiring diagram to help you or just follow the wires. I presume it's the sound amp given that you have no sound. 
- Disconnect everything downstream from the fuse. 
- Start reconnecting the sound amp and other components downstream one by one until you find what blows the fuse.
- That will help you narrow down the component that is at fault. Once you've isolated the component at fault you will need to replace it or repair it.

This is very high level feedback, but it could really be anything! From two random wires touching that shouldn't be, to a component failure somewhere. 
JAG555 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

- You need to figure out what the fuse is connected to. Use the wiring diagram to help you or just follow the wires. I presume it's the sound amp given that you have no sound. 
- Disconnect everything downstream from the fuse. 
- Start reconnecting the sound amp and other components downstream one by one until you find what blows the fuse.
- That will help you narrow down the component that is at fault. Once you've isolated the component at fault you will need to replace it or repair it.

This is very high level feedback, but it could really be anything! From two random wires touching that shouldn't be, to a component failure somewhere. 

Many Thanks for the help. I did what you recommended and doubled checked all of the connections from the fuse and hey pesto I now have sound! It must have been a short. The new 6.3 amp fuse also did the trick now there is no short.

Many thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic