ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun semi restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun semi restoration
    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
Hi, I'm going to do a semi restore on my outrun.

By that I mean all new artwork, metal respray and a general tidy up. It's not going to look factory fresh.

In regards to the pedals, if I want to clean them up and respray them, what's the best colour to use?
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:43pm
An easier question then

What's the quickest way to strip the paint off the coin door?
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:58pm
The pedals aren't painted, you'll either want to metal plate them (expensive) or polish them up (cheap)

Quickest way to strip paint is taking the metal work to your friendly local sandblaster. 

Have a look at my OutRun restoration for some tips and tricks. Thankfully I retrieved it from Jamma+ before it vanished!
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 6:40pm
Thanks! I was hoping to avoid taking the pedals to bits but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet
wim outrun repro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 7:08pm
Hi, if you are in need of a dash.
Look on my Facebook Wim outrun or Instagram.
Cheers wim outrun
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:52pm
Has anyone pulled the side plates off the base off an outrun?

They look held in place by nails and bolts?
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

Has anyone pulled the side plates off the base off an outrun?

They look held in place by nails and bolts?

Do you mean the chrome bits?
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:02pm
I'm talking about the full upright. They are black on mine

nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:03pm
Mine are both chrome, but are the US versions.
Just round top screws on mine.

Good to see another driving cab lover.

Edited by nurtuo - 09 Jul 2018 at 8:04pm
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:09pm
I'm gonna get the metal bits powder coated but don't want to wreck the wood prying it off if it's nailed on
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:16pm
Top work.
I am doing my first one at the moment.
Get the pedals re chromed, just don't forget your Outrun Slippers.

J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:24pm
How hard were the pedals to dismantle? Do you need to force the springs?
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:34pm
Not bad at all really.
Just take your time.
The springs are really not that loaded up,
just tape the inside of the pedal box after the powder coating is done to stop scratching.
Any problems message me and I will run you through it.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
Anyone got any idea how I dismantle the gearstick?

I've looked for pictures online and the ones I can find have a different stick to my outrun? This one has a small punch pin

Whereas mine looks like this? I've tried hammering that big metal pin but it's not budging

Edited by J69 - 11 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:44am
Better picture. It doesn't look like a pin you can knock through? But then there's no other way to get the plate off the stick? Unless the knob comes off the top somehow?

Any ideas? Hopefully its not £35 down the drain!

Edited by J69 - 12 Jul 2018 at 9:45am
beckscc2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckscc2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:29am
Please send a photo of the other side. There is 2 different gearstick (i have the 2), one have only one hole (where the pin is) on one side and i dont think you can easily get the plate off with this one.
But yes the only way is to push off the pin to dismantle the gearstick.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:52am
It's identical on the other side.

So do I need to hammer out the metal bit? I don't want to destroy the while thing

I didnt realise there were 2 different sticks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckscc2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:57am
Maybe you should try to drill it
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:01am
Maybe, but then there will be nothing holding the stick on? I need to be careful not to destroy the whole thing.

It's a stupid design!

Is the rest of the gear box identical? Are the 2 sticks interchangeable? Might be easier just sourcing the other type of stick

Edited by J69 - 12 Jul 2018 at 11:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckscc2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:06am
Yes only the pin hold the stick on
Yes the other thing are identical
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic