ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

OutRun Side Art - finished and ready to order!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OutRun Side Art - finished and ready to order!
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 3:49pm
So I'm very nearly done with vectoring the OutRun side art. Colour matching went well and the left side is looking good. I started work on the right side just after Christmas, it was quite a bit more work than I expected...all current repro sets are using a mirror of the left, but it's quite a bit different
It's almost done now, just seats and some halftone to finish, and what I'm doing now which is adding in all the print errors, colour overspill and so on to make it accurate.

There's 2 very obvious mistakes in the original though...the guys arm on the right side has no colour in it at all when it should clearly have the flesh tone on it, and there's a panel on the back right of the car not coloured as well. The other side doesn't have these mistakes. I've checked 2 cabs and they have the error in the art, so I want to see if everyone's is like this...and also is the UK version the same or did they fix it for that version?

It's easy to rectify, but then it's not authentic if I change it...thing is once you've noticed it it's very hard to ignore LOL

The 2 almost-finished sides

Edited by muddymusic - 06 Aug 2018 at 5:50pm
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Sm76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sm76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm
Looks great! I just checked mine and it has the same flaw's on the arm and car
Wanted: Space Harrier!
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 5:56pm
I’ll be in the queue to buy it! What ball park price are we looking at?
whitecomet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
Looks a great job, personally its replica artwork so fixing the color fill issue Id prefer... also they switched the driver around but not the vent in the front splitter!

But great job Thumbs Up
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:02am
Great work Olly.

I myself am in the camp of keeping it to the original art, mistakes and all.

If it was good enough for Yu Suzuki, its good enough for me.

The only bit I don't get is if the image was reversed on other repo sets,
would it be a right hand drive car on one image?

Keep up the great work.

You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:53am
I would fix it, because it was obviously a mistake.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

I’ll be in the queue to buy it! What ball park price are we looking at?

Will be £95 posted for the pair on die-cut high tac vinyl.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 8:46am
I think I'll do the main run with the mistake, then another batch with it fixed. People can pick what they want then.
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

I think I'll do the main run with the mistake, then another batch with it fixed. People can pick what they want then.

Great move Olly.

And a very good price too.
I can see a queue forming now.
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
BarrySlisk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarrySlisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Id prefer fixed. Also this way people know if it is a repro.
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:22pm
They look lovely mate, this artwork more than any other gives me a nice warm feeling inside Smile

It's so classic Sega - the blue sky, white fluffy clouds, bright red car, groovy characters, eighties air brushed OutRun text.. and that big SEGA logo confidently displayed bang in the middle Heart

Personally I like the little imperfections here and there on arcade cabs, adds to the character, but can understand people wanting these things 'corrected' in repro runs.  I think you'll always get some people wanting it as original and some wanting the fixes so a run of each is the best way to go, if possible.

How far do you go though?  Do you fix the arm and the rear panel on the car and leave it there, or move the vent thing on the front splitter?  Easy enough to add a little colour here an there, but moving the vent would be trickier as perspective will need to be taken into account..

Anyway, just for interest, here's my set of NOS US art - bit tatty and some of the black is missing from the upper section of the left side sticker, but it is NOS!!

..and I have a UK cab!! Ermm LOL

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:39pm
Very nearly done now, just a little more white in the windscreen and lighten the road very slightly and it will be time to get printing sets.

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:03pm
Top work bud

That's the only thing with the sitdown models you don't get the lovely artwork

Would like one of the Plastic maps for my dlx though when we sort out some bits and I need to scan in the coin denomination plastic on top of the coin tower as I'm missing one from the Hang-On, bet there are a few others missing them too when the mechs are converted to mars type

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 5:32pm
Coming on a treat.
I would print a few of those,
I think you will need them.

I bet there is a big line already.

Edited by nurtuo - 13 Apr 2018 at 5:33pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:49pm
Just had the last proof done after making a number of changes to the last version.
Got the windscreen perfect now. It was a complete pain in the ass to get, as if you lay white over the character art their colours lighten so had to really look closely how it was done originally and try to match it - got it in the end though!

Road and bumper/wheel halftone altered to make it appear lighter grey...so tricky as there is no grey ink - it's all done with halftone dots. There's the most variations of halftone I've ever seen on a single piece of art with this set.

The only bit that I couldn't get a 100% match for is the green...but again - not actually green! It's a mix of halftone layers of yellow and blue, and I've got it as good as I can after 2 dozen samples. In the 1st pic you can see it looks right, but in a different angle (last pic) not perfect. You can also see how yellowed my cab art is compared to the fresh new art in pic 1 especially in the white areas.

I think this is now as good as is it can be, so I'll be running out a full final set next week, which I'll be applying to my cab to make absolutely sure the cut and shaping is a perfect fit before running a large batch.

Edited by muddymusic - 11 Jun 2018 at 4:53pm
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
Great Work Olly.
form an orderly queue here.
2huwman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:20pm
Excellent work - that's a labour of love!
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:22pm
The bumper near the front wheel doesn't look to match, the grey shape is different and has no black outline.

Edited by ZedEx48K - 11 Jun 2018 at 8:24pm
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:12pm
Great work.. and a great lot of hard work at that!  This has to be the most proofed work you've ever put together mate!

I love this artwork - it just makes me feel happy Smile
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

The bumper near the front wheel doesn't look to match, the grey shape is different and has no black outline

You’re right - that’s yet another difference between the left & right side!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic