ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pac-Man cabaret restoration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kierann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pac-Man cabaret restoration
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 12:05am
Hi folks,

I haven't really posted much on the forum previously, but really enjoy reading through all the collector stories and arcade knowledge here.

Earlier in the week I got hold of an old Pac-Man cabaret cab at an antiques auction. When I bought it I was told it just gave a humming noise when switched on, so I haven't switched it on yet myself in case any further damage is caused. 

There weren't any keys with it, but it was possible to pop out the back lock by removing the top air grill and undoing the nut holding the lock barrel in place with a small vice grips. With the back door removed the coin door was opened from the inside using the same technique.

Everything appears to be in there, PCB looks fairly clean and is visually fairly good, but the monitor has a lot of soot / grime on it, as do the power blocks (correct term?) inside the base of the cab. The wiring harnesses also need a clean. There's rust in several places also. That said, I reckon (hope!) this is fixable, so I'll be tackling this project piece by piece. 

The manufacture date on the monitor is 1982, and the number 1254 is on the PCB and also on a signed label inside the cab.

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm posting up a first batch of pics here for you all to check out. 

Scored some old Irish 10ps, a 2 Deutschmark coin, and an Irish Millennium pound in the coin bucket :)

Edited by kierann - 04 Jun 2018 at 4:13pm
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 4:38am
I'd be disconnecting the power supplies/edge connector and checking the voltages if you have a multimeter handy?
Hunting for a pole position !!
iamjimmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:52am
Everything you have described is fixable/restorable. You could get that pac looking and working like new.

Good advice from Shinydaz...if this is your first restore the first thing to invest in should be a multimeter.

The first thing to check/fix are the voltages. If you are not confident about fixing the power supply Arcadeshop in the US sell a modern replacement with a pacman adapter for $39.

I am not sure how many collectors there are in Ireland? I could test the PCB for you but postage costs just to test it could be prohibitive...

Edited by iamjimmi - 04 Jun 2018 at 7:54am
xToAsTx View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xToAsTx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 8:13am
Looks like a cracking project!
I like to look through the manual while I decide a plan of action.
Sometimes there is advice in these things that can save time and money.

kierann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kierann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 11:29pm
Hi Shinydaz, iamjimmi, xToAsTx - Many thanks for the help all! 

I'll go for the multimeter test as a first port of call. Also glad to know about the replacement PSU, I may have to go down that route since the one that's in there doesn't look so great at the minute, will see how it goes. Also regarding the board testing IamJimmi thanks for the offer I might just follow that up with you later on 

more updates soon!
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 12:15am
When you've stripped the paint, get some HG Rust Remover on all the metal parts. Not cheap, but gets the job done better than a white vinegar bath. That's about the extent of my arcade restoration knowledge :)
Just scoping your civilian wardrobe
kierann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kierann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:44pm
Thanks for the tip kidyamlo, I'll check out the HG Rust Remover for sure Thumbs Up
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:54am
Nice project. I love these cabinets. Looking at your game pcb, you are missing the (Z80 Sync Bus Controller) and the (V-Ram Addresser), which are separate plugin modules for the board.

I'm sure someone will have some replacements. I have seen some modern upgrade versions, but they were pricey.

When you get to that stage, put some close up pics of the board up. Maybe check the bottom of cab, in case they have been placed there, as the boards are held down with cable ties.
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:04am
Check out Jon Stoodley's epic restoration of the same cabinet a few years back. Lots of useful tips there I'm sure:

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,1638.0.html
t-m View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

Nice project. I love these cabinets. Looking at your game pcb, you are missing the (Z80 Sync Bus Controller) and the (V-Ram Addresser),
This board looks like it has the 284/285 customs in place.  The legs looks a bit crusty on them though so i'd give them a clean with a fibreglass pencil.

Having got one of these last year by best bit of advice is to replace the two fuse blocks at the bottom of the cab, they cause all sorts of trouble.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by aeroflott aeroflott wrote:

Check out Jon Stoodley's epic restoration of the same cabinet a few years back. Lots of useful tips there I'm sure:

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,1638.0.html

Best tip is don't waste months shipping monitors and PCBs back and forth to America cos you wired the edge connector in the wrong order
xToAsTx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xToAsTx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by aeroflott aeroflott wrote:

Just read this-Wow impressive!Smile
minwah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:10pm
Nice machine!

Originally posted by kierann kierann wrote:

Scored some old Irish 10ps, a 2 Deutschmark coin, and an Irish Millennium pound in the coin bucket :)

Funnily enough I found one of the fish Eire 10p's in a cabinet I just got - never seen one before!
mozie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 5:14pm
Looking forward to this restore, I am in Ireland and can test the board for you if you like, I am sure I have an adapter if not I have the bits to put one together ??
kierann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kierann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:41pm
Chopper79:

I was wondering about that myself, and was looking around for those parts, but it does seem to be the no-daughtboard version, found an interesting thread on the topic here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68800.0

T-M: On your advice I’ve sent for some replacement fuse-holders (via pinparts.co.uk), and a fibreglass pen

J69: going for restricted budget if possible, so indeed will rule that out!

Aeroflot + XToAsTX: That Jon Stoodley restoration project is amazing, absolutely theres loads of great advice in there.

Minwah: glad you got hold of one of the fish 10ps!

Mozie: thanks for the offer of help with PCB testing. I’m going to clean it up and see have a go debugging it myself first, but will give you a shout if I run into difficulty!

Mainly in clean up mode still. More pics soon!

Edited by kierann - 06 Jul 2018 at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic