ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pacman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacman
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:35pm
So here is an indication of what can go wrong when you're attempting to fix a PCB.

I got this PCB from a member on here. We had a good chin-wag and I paid £20 for this PCB, another Pacman PCB (£20) and a Galaxian (£20). I got the first Pacman PCB going relatively OK. The second was a nightmare. Bargains? Decide. This second PCB had corrosion on it and a short from GND to 5V from the start. The Galaxian still isn't working

I'm good at repairing Pacman PCBs - I've done a few now but think of how long it took me to trouble shoot all these chips. How much is a Pacman PCB worth - £90? Some members on here won't go near a PCB that has been repaired - in their eyes it's radioactive contaminated.

So I paid £20 for the PCB, my time to go get it and the fuel. I then spent long hours tracking down the faults, removing the chips putting in new sockets and the cost of the parts. Was it worth repairing? Would I do it again - no thanks on this one.

PCB repairing isn't all what's is cracked up to be on numerous occasions and when you're buying a PCB it's pot luck on how much work is required to get it going if at all. The fix log is too long to list, as you may well appreciate.

bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Call me jamma jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:40pm
Wow that’s some numbers of parts you replaced!!! At least it lives again.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.
Lurch666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:18pm
I know doing a difficult repair can make you question why bother but the harder the fix the better the satisfaction of finally getting the damn thing working.

I do it because I enjoy solving puzzles and fixing these things with (in my case) a less than full understanding how the parts interact make it a challenge and I enjoy a good challenge.

I know a full fix log would be like war and peace for your board but a general overview of what was not working and the things that actually fixed it would be (for me at least) an interesting read.
You rang......?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic