ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

PCB Repair: The Right Tool For The Job

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:18pm
What about the basics? Like which tool do you use to remove chips?
DMD Board Repairer
TonyElyod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyElyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 5:05pm
A Fork..!!  LOL

Sorry !!  ..Couldn't Resist..Embarrassed

Edited by TonyElyod - 08 Sep 2014 at 5:06pm
WHO DARES GINS !!
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Big Phil Big Phil wrote:

What about the basics? Like which tool do you use to remove chips?

like this

chip lifting
Level42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Level42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:31am
Personally I stay away FAR from tools like that. If you want bent pins, they are guaranteed to deliver.

I always simply use a small screwdriver with a flat blade. Pry on both sides alternatively...safe way to remove a chip :)

Anyway..... I wonder if these insanely cheap little things woud be any use as a logic analyser:

The main problem I think is that it has only 8 channels. I mean, you'd probably want at least one more channel to trigger sometimes ?

Edited by Level42 - 13 Jun 2015 at 7:31am
Visit Eurocade 2015 - 12 september 2015 - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

All info: www.eurocade.eu
channelmaniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channelmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 10:50pm
Bump!

My most used tool is a logic probe, but all the probes I have in my shop are the types that have the audio beeper on them. You can hear differences in how the signals sound and after you've repaired a bunch of boards with them you can get an ear for how the sounds are different when there's a problem on the board.

The easiest way to learn how to use the beep is to troubleshoot audio circuits. Here's a video of me explaining how to use the logic probe with audio to troubleshoot a Neo Geo board to determine if the problem is in the digital or analog section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qTYNFvl3I

Another piece of gear not really talked about is an ESR meter for finding bad caps. But, did you know you can also use it to find short circuits? It's really a high frequency milliohmmeter that will go down to .01 ohms. You can use it to find the area of lowest resistance to find the location of a short on a board.

RJ
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...
jrr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:04am
Another tool that can help with video board repair is the Video Probe. This is actually pretty simple to make...find the RGB outputs of your board, lift the last series device on one of those lines - isolating that colour (call it red for now) and then hook up a jumper wire to the monitor side of the red output. The other end of your jumper wire goes simply to a 100R (100 ohm) resistor and you will now probe your video board with that watching the screen. You can follow a lot of the building of the image this way (works great on TTL B&W boards - you don't separate the output though and you use a 4K7R resistor). Can help troubleshoot video sections of logic boards, you can see the clock divides, the motion, where some elements are that may not be making it to the video output, etc.
A nice cheap tool that can help if you understand a bit of how to read a schematic (and how the board works), with the important part being tracing circuits in the schematics.
John :-#)#
RGP View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Meeter & Greeter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:17am
Video probe is a sound tool, I have a TRON graphics fault that this may help with - thanks :)

Parts for fixin' and stuff for sale in our webstore here
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:07am
I have a connector built into the test rig and an old multimeter probe permanently plugged in

on lots of older boards you can remove the colour prom to remove the main graphics

one thing to be aware of though, if you are using something like an Amiga monitor it will 'fade out' the signal if it remains constant 

i.e. if you connect the probe to 5v, instead of getting a solid green background (mine is connected to green!) then it will show green but then the monitor seems to reset it's zero level and it fades out - only does it if there is a big block of colour, if it pulses on/off it works fine. (maybe because the signal does not cut out over the blanking period)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic