ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

PI/Arduino Processor Emulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:09am
Another update to this saga! Sorry its taken so long, just been busy with work and also had been ironing out some small issues with this tester. On top of that Ive designed a PCB set for it and improved some of the tests. So I have decided to offer them for sale now to anybody that would like one.

This is what you will get:

Functional Tester as described in earlier posts.
External device test pod allowing most devices up to 20pins to be checked. 
Power supply
Instruction manual
Pre loaded with system software and data files. Note this tester will learn states so the data files will increase during use. 

The Spec of the tester is based on a Pi 3 and fitted with internal 16Gb memory card. The cost will also include free updates of software as and when I have them.

Features:

Full 16bit address bus which can be set to any address. 
8 bit bi directional data bus, again can be set to specific data value or read as input.
Memory map can be read as block and stored in .BIN files
Z80 and 8080 processor simulation. Wont run code but can emulate memory control and I/O

Probe input using 50R BNC allowing full logic probe functions. Not only will it display the three states of the probe input but duty cycle is also displayed when available.
Probe can set to analogue and then it will display voltage input and also engage a built in amplifier so audio faults can be traced.

Test programs can be generated and stored then called back and run. This allows a known good board to be probed at determined points and the values stored. If the test is re-run on a faulty board of the same type, then it can help identify faults faster.

The Active device tester feature will test any device up to 20pins while still on the PCB and powered up. The board will still function mostly while the tester is clipped over a device to test. A snapshot of the pins will be taken and then compared to stored tables. Either pass will be displayed or fail. 

The tester is self learning so if a device fails and it checks out to be fine, the data can be saved so it passes next time.

Stuck pins can be checked as well which will show up any pins that dont change state plus another test checks for two adjacent pins that change state together. This can help identify for shorted pins etc.

All results are displayed graphically on the screen which can either be on the 3.5" colour touch screen or any hdmi external monitor. Switchable by simply commands.

The tester is designed to help in the debug of PCBS and can allow faster fault finding however it must be noted that all results it gives should be checked against schematics and prior knowledge.

Priced at £390 all in. This will be the unit built,tested and shipped to any UK address. 

Im going to take orders for the first batch starting now and will stop on 1st August. This then gives me numbers for PCBs to get made etc. Come the 2nd August I will order materials and hopefully start sending units out by 15th.

I will be needing a deposit for this so £130 is required up front. I will give you full contact details so you can see its all genuine. 

Thats basically it, if you fancy one of these testers, drop me a PM and I can put you on the first batch. 

WANTED: Any Nichi stuff. Need a set of Legs!!
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:15am
pm sent mark
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:42pm
Are there any plans Mark to increase the number of supported CPU's?

Would the logic tests include anything bi-directional?
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 10:41pm
Hi. There are plans to add other 8 Bit processors to it. I just havent got round to doing them yet. The logic tests will work with LS245 etc. I am working on these atm but basically it will sample 20 pins and apply stored tables so theoretically most devices that will fit the test clip should be possible. Note only devices that work at 5V will be supported. 
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:01pm
Just a quick reminder that im taking orders for the first batch of testers until end of month if anybody is interested.

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:55am
I'm interested, and I would like to support a fellow collector that's put in a lot of effort to find new ways to help others fix boards in the hobby

I think I'm just looking for a guarantee that the project is long term, and there will be updates and additional CPU support 100% before I would commit to anything
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:14pm
The project is deffinately a long term thing as Im using it already so will be improving it all time. Anyone that buys one of these will get a tester in a case plus professional PCBS made up. Free software updates will be made once changes and additions are added. I have plans for an eprom programmer in pipeline plus more. Also I am open to suggestions and any additions that fellow members feel are needed should be able to add as there is plenty of memory left to use. 

Im taking orders at the moment then the cut off will be end of month as materials will be ordered for the first batch. Any required after that will be placed in the next batch.

This is a tester that Im hoping will be a standard piece of hardware for anyone repairing and debugging PCBS. My knowledge both in manufacturing and design over the years is getting put into this so rest assured it will be not a knocked up hobby box.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:23pm
Ok Mark, include me in your first batch then please
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:26pm
No problems. I will drop you a PM later on tonight to take details etc.

Cheers
funhouse View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:41pm
I'm very interested in this - it looks great and well done!

I'm personally new to fixing PCBs but am watching with interest. To entice people like me, could I suggest you consider making Youtube videos of the kit in action? 

If it is as powerful as it sounds, videos of it in action will surely inspire quite a few other people on here and elsewhere to join-in.

Cheers. Stuart.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by andrewsm andrewsm wrote:

No problems. I will drop you a PM later on tonight to take details etc.

Cheers

Sure many thanks
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:02pm
Hey good idea Stuart. Didnt really think of that however Im not a great one for cameras lol There will be an instruction manual sent with each one so hopefully this will provide enough info for both the novice and the pro. I will say that even though it is easyish to use, some knowledge of electronics is required to apply the results. It should be regarded as a tool to help debug boards. 
funhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:18pm
Yes, I feel the same - this arcade hobby probably doesn't attract camera-confident types. lol.

I'm still learning but am getting there and will definitely keep an eye on this. 

Will the manual be available as a PDF for everyone to browse?
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:36pm
hey keep at it... we all started like this. 

The manual will prob be done in word or something but yes I can prob save it in pdf or whatever and it will be available even if you dont have the tester. Im writing it just now so will be complete by time testers are built
silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:55pm
hey mark

would it be possible to add PAL and PIC chip decryption to this

would be awesome if that is a possibility

to give you a valid argument as to why it would be a good idea and why its relevent to arcades is mainly because the Klingon and Excel Credit boards use a locked PIC chip and those Die and render a working board a paperweight purely due to that reason
Lazerfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

hey mark

would it be possible to add PAL and PIC chip decryption to this

would be awesome if that is a possibility

to give you a valid argument as to why it would be a good idea and why its relevant to arcades is mainly because the Klingon and Excel Credit boards use a locked PIC chip and those die and render a working board a paperweight purely due to that reason
I would like to be able to reprogram coin mechs as well. There doesn't seem to be much documentation available on these.
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 11:39pm
Its certainly something I could look at though dont have much experience of these devices so would need some tech backup probs. A known good device would be needed to work with too
RSwanson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSwanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 12:35am
Credit boards? Far too much hassle for very little demand.
Keep to the basics, pcb diagnostics.
Expanding the types CPU, but also, take the mame dat crcs (per cpu), create your own dat files so that the device can autodetect the game based on a memory map read.

For example, say you have a Z80 game (starts at address x0), have an option of "auto", it then reads in the first 64k, and will automatically detect the game from mame info.

What i've done with my arduino mega is, for each Z80 game, I have created a dat file with the crc for EVERY 1k of EVERY game, which means the auto detect will still work even if certain eproms are corrupt.
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 8:34am
So basically you are reading the full 64K byte memory map of a Z80 starting at 0000h then comparing it to mame files?
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm
Quick update guys.

Boards will get ordered either tonight or tomorrow evening after work. Approx 2 weeks after that I will start making testers up for ones that have ordered.  I will be ordering a few spare so if anybody still wants one, there I can include before taking orders for next batch. Also can all deposits be paid in next few days as materials need to be bought.

Thanks
Mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic